Reply To: Let’s all talk about Unity (S15 E17)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Unity (S15 E17) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about Unity (S15 E17)

PigNaPoke
    October 29, 2020 at 10:17 pm #3086

INTENSE is the word of the week for me! PHEW!!

Overall I liked it it a lot, BUT I also have a few major hang ups.

I go character by character to sort my head space out:

JACK – I appreciate how he has accepted his “role” the way he understands it showing some real growth with this. Even though I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on Billie (and BOY DID IT!!!) Jack acted in a selfless manner here and simply was ready to take one for the team who has protected and nurtured him for much of his short life. I also felt touched by the scene between Dean and Jack where Dean thanked him for doing what it was planning to do to save the world and give him and Sam a chance at a “life”.

DEAN – here lie my MAJOR issues. I understand and can believe that Dean is so freaking TIRED of the dance and overwhelmed by the thought that he can’t escape the hamster wheel. BUT…BUT…BUT!!!! HE WOULD NEVER PULL A GUN ON SAM AND COCK IT!!!! NEVER!!! That was so out of character it bothered the living daylights out of me!!!!!! Especially after he says to Jack that he is looking forward to a life with Sam AFTER. Really? From that he goes to ready to shoot his brother in order to kill God? OR was THAT part still God’s writing? God’s plan? IF that was it then I needed a break in Dean some indication that he had no control over his action at that moment.
    I do appreciate Dean being ready to do the hard thing and accompany Jack on his last mission. Dean never shied away from the hard decisions.
    And, of course, Jensen was PERFECT at acting it all out.

SAM – BIG kudos to Jared for this episode!!!! He did amazing and I was riveted to ALL of it! His anger, his frustration, his tenacity, his quick wit in lying to The Empty, his heartbreak and the way he convinced his brother not to shoot him…all very well done! Sam’s arc was great, too. LOVE that he figured it out regarding the Empty and Billie’s plan!! Our smart Sam! Loved how he stayed behind to research, but ultimately HE was more important to the plot advancement than even Dean here.

CAS – yeah, he was there, too. I didn’t get much from him in this. He was supportive of Sam and a nice scene partner. I would have liked him to get involved a little to convince Dean NOT to kill his brother!

AMARA – loved that she made a real turn. Her essence must have changed, too, as she can hold a flower now without killing it. I really enjoyed the scenes with Chuck and how Amara took it on herself to try and convince her brother to let this world live, to show him what wonderful thing he created. I am a little surprised that she simply believed Chuck later when he said the Winchesters lied, but the story was PACKED and had to move along so I can forgive that.

CHUCK – oh, Chuck….you petulant child! Very well played by Rob!! I love that he got thwarted AGAIN by the Winchesters in the end when they did NOT behave the way he planned. I also really enjoyed how that last bit was cutting back and forth between the drama in the hallway between the brothers and Chuck and Amara. It kept me on the edge of my seat.
    Issue I had with their interaction:
    Are we to believe that Amara willingly “joined” Chuck? Or that he absorbed her against her will?? And if the latter is true….why did he need 4 archangels to contain her last time?? And if she is part of him now….can she inact some of HER will?
    I did like the special effect of Chuck with one blue and one black eye!

THE EMPTY – she/ he/ it is a little too naive for me, but at least it’s consistent. It JUST wants to go back to sleep. OK, we get it. I also appreciate it that they let us know that she can’t go to earth unless summoned. Loved to see Rachel.

BILLIE – WOW….well, there you have it. DEATH is the villain?! Interesting twist and a real conundrum and a good adversary…..BUT…BUT…BUT….are we to believe that this was ALWAYS Death’s plan? Adam said that he was kept alive (I think he said by Billie??) to take his revenge on God???? But 30,000 years ago that would have been the original Death, no? Or did Billie the REAPER make these plans all along? I can’t believe that as it was said only Death can read God’s book. I have an issue with that, but I am willing to wait for more explanation.

So, now what?? If Death wants a reset, which means ALL who were dead are dead again…..BOTH Winchesters would drop dead immediately, right? And Death said they have to reap God….but do we still want that now? And if Death has the power to RESET everything and God wants that, too, are they both on the SAME side now? And is Amara simply gone now? Or can she “pop” back out and claim a will? WHAT A MESS – but an interesting one.

Other things I really liked:
    – ADAM being a hippie. HA, funny.
    – Adam’s rib being super powerful as an spell ingredient or artifact was a good idea
    – Sam and Cas digging through the bunker’s treasures. I have to watch again but I’m sure there were a few easter eggs in that. Was that the grail?

Definitely need a rewatch of this one….WOW