Reply To: Let’s all talk about Inherit the Earth (S15 E19)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Inherit the Earth (S15 E19) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about Inherit the Earth (S15 E19)

kate38
    November 13, 2020 at 10:24 am #3425

“How does a being that creates complex beauty and a soul for guidance, remorse and compassion have none of these attributes. As Chuck was retconned into an egotistical psychopath, he seems to be the antithesis of soul and beauty.”

This is one of my main gripes with the Chuck-is-a-villain story line. I’ve thought long and hard about whether my own beliefs are shading my judgement. I don’t think they are. I’d be TOTALLY on board with Chuck being a villain if it was done in a way that made sense for the character. The Chuck from season 5 was on their side, but the Chuck from seasons 14 and 15 were not. Why? What changed? We’re just supposed to believe that after countless millennia, he just got bored? What?! He’s a writer, and writers lie. Huh? When you take the most powerful entity in creation and turn him from an affable hermit prophet into a super villain, we deserve a back story and an explanation. We haven’t gotten one.

“Perhaps an audience of binge watching 13 year olds or perpetually disastified adults can also accept this childishly hateful inconsistency, but I can not.”

I’ve been thinking this, but I don’t know if I’ve said it in a post. It does feel like season 15 is not written for somebody like me. It feels like they’ve abandoned the “old guard” and have decided to write stories that clearly appeal to a different audience. It might sound selfish, but I do sort of feel abandoned. I used to connect to this show, its characters, and their stories, but now I don’t. Maybe that’s by design. It’s their show and of course they can do whatever they want with it, but if I’d tuned in to Supernatural for the first time in season 15, I’d never have watched the show past one or two episodes. That saddens me.

“This season has been a comic book lacking vision, depth and intelligence, with characters that are caricatures of themselves. No growth, save Jack, and only minimally, as everyone mostly sat around waiting for someone to tell them when and what to do with respect to an over the top mustache twirling villain.”

Also very true. But it makes more sense if your earlier comment is true. This final season wasn’t written for the same audience as the previous 14 seasons were.
    On the up-side, there’s no point in targeting a younger audience unless you plan to DO something once you get their attention. Maybe there’s a long-game marketing strategy playing out? I read that Jensen and Danneel have started a production company, so maybe there’s something in the works. Movie? Who knows. I just hope there’s a point to all this and that they didn’t destroy this show for nothing.

kate

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by kate38kate38.