Discussion: Hex bagsReported This is a featured thread

Showing 21 - 32 of 32  |  Show  posts at a time
Previous | 1 2
TheNiteHawke
TheNiteHawke
20. RE: Hex bags
Mar 28 2010, 2:47 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 28 2010, 2:47 AM EDT
Hex bags in relation to the show are probably more of a conglomeration of different beliefs. Native American Spirit Bags (nice work on that one) would likely be one source, Voodoo (specifically Bocur) might be another as well as ancient Paganism.

The term "hex bag" as applied to a bag meant as a protective agent would actually be a misuse of the terminology, since a "hex" is, by definition, a spell meant to do harm. I would assume they use the term for convenience in this context, a quick way to let the audience know that the bag contains elements of protection in this case.

The Kripke tends to bend mythology to his own wonderfully warped design. I believe we'd find he and the crew have done so with regard to the hex bags as well.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Arolem
21. RE: Hex bags
Jun 28 2010, 7:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 28 2010, 7:28 PM EDT
"Hex bag" is, like somebody guessed, not the most common name. I've generally heard "conjure bags" or "conjure hands" although this site http://www.luckymojo.com/mojo.html has a great list of synonyms, history, and how to make them. I know conjure hands as a primarily southern African-American and Cajun form of working. Hope this helps. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
vincentjohnson
vincentjohnson
22. RE: Hex bags
Oct 4 2010, 9:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 4 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
hi. umm about the confusion with hex bags. in ancient witchcraft, demonology and necromancy the hex bag contained different specially circumstantial items for example "fetus bones and certain genetic material of the target (if there is one) ". the magic revolving around this is highly reliant too the materials that are held in the bag and the kind of environment the bag is posted in. for protection from demons you can use a small portion of salt with languweed leaves and glandular plant flowers. where as for more melevalant types of magic it revolves more around bones and blood mixed with different poisoness plants.

I do want everyone too be clear 'i dont practice these arts myself and nor do i plan 2"
Ileana_The_Bloody
Ileana_The_Bloody
23. RE: Hex bags
Oct 5 2010, 4:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 5 2010, 4:59 AM EDT
"hi. umm about the confusion with hex bags. in ancient witchcraft, demonology and necromancy the hex bag contained different specially circumstantial items for example "fetus bones and certain genetic material of the target (if there is one) ". the magic revolving around this is highly reliant too the materials that are held in the bag and the kind of environment the bag is posted in. for protection from demons you can use a small portion of salt with languweed leaves and glandular plant flowers. where as for more melevalant types of magic it revolves more around bones and blood mixed with different poisoness plants.

I do want everyone too be clear 'i dont practice these arts myself and nor do i plan 2""
That's true. The bag itself has some things to do with the outcome but its mostly the Magyck that is poured into it. The intent of the Witch and the amount of Power they put into it is the whole deal. Since Sam and Dean use theirs to protect I'm thinking they use some spells like these:

Lavender(SP?)
White Sage
Salt
Cemetery Dirt
Maybe add some holy water soaked into one of the herbs and placed in there.
Place the ingredients in the bag and keep it with you. As long as the bag has the ingredients in it and it doesn't get burned you'll be protected from harm.

There's a bunch of different clothes that can be used for the actual pouch/bag. If I were you guys I'd use a black Satin bag. Black Satin is used for protection with the herbs I mentioned above.

I practice Magyck and if you guys have any questions feel free to ask me. I'm an open Spell Book. Lol. :D
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

JohnBertremFord
24. RE: Hex bags
Oct 10 2010, 7:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 10 2010, 7:47 PM EDT
Okay, looks like you might need a little help with this you guys, because I think its time to get a real witch involved in this, not a Wiccan but a witch, which are two separate things. A wiccan can call themselves a witch, but a witch doesn't necessarily have to be wiccan.

For those who think Witchcraft is devil worship, get it out of your mind right now. Although demons are very much real, sometimes known as daimons, they aren't necessarily evil. Devils are also very real, but Satan, is not. A creature cannot be a complete embodiment of evil, but for this sake lets talk about the hex bags and where it probably came from.

It derived from two major sources:

1)Charm bags, used in european witchcraft, sometimes known as sachets.
2)Gris-gris (grey-grey) bags from Vodun religion.

Hex-bags do exist, but are VERY rare, because a charm bag is exactly that, a charm. Hex-bags focus primarily on melovent intents like jinxing and cursing, and how they work very from a short incantation in order to activate them, or to charge them and let them run their course. It all lies in the intention of the witch.

The fact they named "protective" charms as hex bags is possible, again goes with the attention. However, hex-bag, goes with hexcraft, the working of negative energies to accomplish ones will. Often, hex-bags, in the traditional black arts contain the following:

1)animal parts such as chicken bones for the spell to take flight, a raccoon penis bone to attract a male lover, alligators teeth for gambling or luck.
2)a contagion, a piece of someone that has either touched, or a piece of the personl, including clothing, to direct the energy towards the person.
3)a color, to represent the desire intent
4)oils, herbs, salts and powders

that is the basics.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
EoThorne
EoThorne
25. RE: Hex bags
Feb 20 2011, 5:38 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2011, 5:38 PM EST
Yeah, I've done research on what a hex bag is. The best results came under Mojo bags, because it's the general term that goog gave with the most hits.

It goes under several names:

Hex, Lucky, Gambling, Power, Protection, Health, Wish, Attraction, Love... the list goes on.

Every function for something deriving negative to positive can be made in the generic form of a Mojo bag. I'm just quoting Dean when he said "That's some bad mojo", and mojo can be good or bad. I guess that's why it's the generic term...

Anyway, for either good or bad, objects from the maker of the bag need to put something of their own into the bag, so that the owner is identified, and for the one targeted, usually a piece of hair, or object of theirs is put in. That woks best when one doesn't have access to the targets home.

Items in the bag usually go in the format of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 or 13. All odd numbers is traditional.

From Saints to herbs to coffin nails can be put in there. Depending on what you want done, varies the bag. Personal touches are found to empower it more, just like in anything someone does. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Now, since it's hex bags that's the subject, the most common use today is for the hex bag (yes, saying it twice in one sentence for accuracy) is to ACTUALLY BE FOUND by the target to create fear and anxiety.. Best way? Mailbox. Good luck, though, getting stuff delivered from your local postmaster, if it's not local. If at all, depending where you live.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

ericwalter366
26. RE: Hex bags
Jul 18 2011, 10:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 18 2011, 10:18 PM EDT
You can get Hex bags here http://www.handbagaddiction.co.uk
JessieHunter3
JessieHunter3
27. RE: Hex bags
Oct 12 2011, 2:40 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 12 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
"Hey, good observation, DeanIsTheMan ... those hex bags confuse me too. It seems like they can be used for evil (like by the witches in Malleus Maleficarum) or for protection (like in Great Pumpkin and TMATEOTB). What's up with that? I can't find much about hex bags on the Web."
easy, depending on the intention of the witch, the hex bag can either be made for good or evil. As a matter of fact, it can be made for many many things...like luck, prosperity, love, etc.
Do you find this valuable?    
AussieWarlock-17
AussieWarlock-17
28. RE: Hex bags
Dec 6 2011, 7:13 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 6 2011, 7:13 PM EST
It isn't so much that if you are a witch and you use a hex bag, that you are evil. Ruby used to be a witch, but she made a hex bag that hid the brothers from demons. I am pretty sure that it would mainly depend on your intentions, and perhaps the ingredients used inside; some used baby bones, others had animal remains, and there may have even been a couple that only used herbs and whatnot. Do you find this valuable?    
EmrysRedwolf
EmrysRedwolf
29. RE: Hex bags
Nov 16 2012, 1:12 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2012, 1:13 AM EST
... Do you find this valuable?    
EmrysRedwolf
EmrysRedwolf
30. RE: Hex bags
Nov 16 2012, 1:13 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2012, 1:15 AM EST
"Darn nope I don't know any witches! lol
"
I have been a practicing pagan for over 24 years.. The Hex bags seem similar to the hoodoo (American folk magic) "Mojo" or Gris gris bags. Each bag would contain elements from each of the three realms of magical influence.. Plant, animal (bones etc..) and mineral. These bags could be used, then, for whatever purpose it is "spirited" for. Blessing or Bane.

Hope this helps =D
Bendith Mae!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
PetraFaust
PetraFaust
31. RE: Hex bags
Nov 17 2012, 6:15 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2012, 6:15 PM EST
http://www.luckymojo.com/mojo.html

I think they used the word "hex bag" to make it seem more evil. By the time Sam and Dean started using them for warding off the Big Bad, it would've been too hard to differentiate conjure bags (another name) from hex bags. So, they used the same name. (I tried being Pagan, but I;m more into Hoodoo, sooo...)
Previous | 1 2