Discussion: Demon eyes: what they signify.Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 19 of 19  |  Show  posts at a time
Veran`
Veran`
Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 16 2009, 1:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 16 2009, 1:35 PM EDT
I'm new here so I'm sure this has already been discussed to death in another thread, but I would like to share an idea I stumbled upon regarding the significance of Demons and their varying eye colours. Originally, I figured demons had different coloured eyes purely for artistic value, but as I got into the third season (still waiting for Season 4 to be released in the UK) it became painfully obvious that certain demons had certain eyes depending on their past. So... I came up with this:

Black-Eyed Demons

>Generic demon.
>Powerful, but can be harmed by holy artifacts and rituals.
>Were once humans sent to Hell who succumbed to sadism and inhumanity.

White-Eyed Demons

>Rare demon.
>Very powerful, cannot be harmed by holy artifacts or rituals (or even Ruby's knife).
>Were once Angels who fell from grace and joined Lucifer's legions in Hell.

This would explain the hierarchy and difference in abilities between the White and Black Eyes.

There are also:

Red-Eyed Demons

>Uncommon.
>Slippery, but vulnerable to the same degree as Black-Eyed demons.
>Can grant wishes and revive the dead at the cost of a person's soul.
>Their origins are a mystery, but likely the same as Black-Eyed demons.

The only ones who do not abide by these classifications are Samhain and Azazel.

Just my musings. Don't give it any thought if I've touched upon a stale subject.
28  out of 30 found this valuable. Do you?    
SuperZu
SuperZu
1. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 16 2009, 6:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 16 2009, 6:05 PM EDT
Nice theory! It's been mentioned before, but I don't think anyone got as far as you with the classifications! good job ~~~ responses or alternate theories, anyone? 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Lockit
Lockit
2. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 16 2009, 11:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 16 2009, 11:25 PM EDT
I think the classifications are pretty solid except for the white eyed demons being fallen angels. I only say that because of Lilith and Alistair.

Depending on which lore was used for the show, Lilith was believed to be Adam's (of Adam and Eve) first wife. She refused to be dominated though and ran off. She ended up having hundreds of kids with demons until God punished her for disobeying. According to legend Lilith's attraction for children comes from the belief that God took her demon children from her when she did not return to Adam. It was believed that she launched a reign of terror against women in childbirth and newborn infants, especially boys. That could explain why Lilith in the show was very childish, but she wasn't a fallen angel.

As for Alistair, he was never an angel as far as I can tell... at least not according to typical Christian beliefs. I know that the writers take certain liberties with names and such so I may be wrong, but I may also just be missing something.

Here's a page that I've used to try and sort out the many demons of hell:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/shades/demons/bookdevilsanddemons/ranksofhell.htm

It's not perfect, but it give you an idea. Other then that, I like how Veran divided demons up!
10  out of 12 found this valuable. Do you?    
Jenkehs
Jenkehs
3. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 17 2009, 8:09 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 17 2009, 8:09 AM EDT
Nice job Veran!!! I find this very intriguing . . . I also have noticed the various colors in demon eyes. 2  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Veran`
Veran`
4. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 17 2009, 2:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 17 2009, 2:00 PM EDT
"I think the classifications are pretty solid except for the white eyed demons being fallen angels. I only say that because of Lilith and Alistair."
Yeah, I recently peeped at Supernatural's wikipedia and found out that Lilith was once human, so that removes the fallen angel idea from the equation. She was quoted as being Lucifer's "first" demon however, so I'm guessing White-Eyes is not so much about origin as it is about elevation and power. Black-Eyes must be the soldiers, making White-Eyes the commanders and the Red-Eyes are something different altogether.

Or to simplify it:

White-Eyes = Higher Demon
Black-Eyes = Lesser Demon

White-Eyes might be what can become of Black-Eyes should they writhe in Hell long enough.

I believe Azazel was a fallen angel though, wasn't he?
8  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
Lockit
Lockit
5. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 17 2009, 2:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 17 2009, 2:35 PM EDT
I know Islamic lore says he was an angel who refused to bow before man (like Lucifer) but I can't seem to find any easy answer to whether he was a Christian angel. Regardless, I think it's safe to say that he probably was an angel. *thumbs up* 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Jenkehs
Jenkehs
6. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Oct 18 2009, 10:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 18 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/articleview.asp?Post=100

Christian explanation of Azazel
3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
canbeonlyone
canbeonlyone
7. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Apr 2 2010, 7:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 2 2010, 7:08 PM EDT
I was actually researching white eyes when I found this page. I have seen the white eyes in this lifetime on a woman I know. One other person I know also saw the colour drain out of her eyes right before him as she spoke to him, including the pupils, all parts of the eye only definable by a milky grey outline and milky abyss behind the fibrous texture of the coloured part of the eye.
The colour literally drained out of her eyes before me, and a sinister smirk came over her face.
I went to my doctor to inquire as to whether there was any medical explaination for such a phenomenon. If it comes and goes, as it did, then there is no medical explaination.
Knowing this woman as I do, I beleive she has sold her soul for personal gain, which makes white eyes human. There is much more to the story, but out of my mouth came this, directed at "white eyes", I called her a "soul stealing demon collector". there was a witness to this. The woman was unfazed by this comment. She simply looked on as if she was thinking, "Oh, she knows". Very creepy, and very real. So I say the white eyes are human, possibly descendants of fallen angels, which makes them perfect for affecting human behavior. This woman has some knowledge of some sort of very bizarre craft, the clergy say it sounds like a very old craft. She also appears to be very psychic, and can travel out of her body to see. The things she does are evil, and without question supernatural.
So there you have it, from a witness to a real one.
9  out of 18 found this valuable. Do you?    

AbsintheMinded
8. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
May 25 2010, 2:11 PM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2010, 2:11 PM EDT
Remember that Kripke has a kink for J.Campbell and uses him for many of the mythos. he also seems to be keen on the Abrahamic religions use but more leaning towards the bastardization of man and the Torah.bible and quran. Angels are VERY pre-Christian and Judaism. They were once called Devas in the East and before that in Babylonia and before.No whjere in the bible does it state Lucifer(whioch some equate with Satan which it is NOT as they are teo seperate entities) was an Angel cast out of Heaven. It might be implied using different interps but not stated. The bible does not actually state fallen angels but the Book Of Enoch is what started that! Some think Lucifer referes to Adam, to Jesus, or to the king of Babylon.

Lilith was most likey fasted to Sammael(sam) which was another name for the christian satan.Actually, Lilith was taken by the Jewish people from a Sumerian demoness or type of demoness called lilitu. If you read The Alphabet of Ben-Sira you will see how the two tradations became one and a lie started. As for Alister, I believe the writers of SPN are using the Golden Dawn and Thelemic(sex majick guru) Aliester Crowley if you look anjd listen to what he says. they use a LOT of Mathers magic and also Golden Dawn incantations!
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

upol007
9. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Jun 28 2010, 1:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 28 2010, 1:22 AM EDT
well i think color of the eyes represent demonic power and hierarchy
kirpke himself said that the yellow eyed azazel was only behind the white eyed lilith, thus we can surely say that the white eyed demons (lilith, alistair, samhain, crowley) are far stronger than normal red or black eyed demons
2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

ryahlee
10. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Aug 18 2010, 1:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 18 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Ok so regarding Lillith
Im quoting from this book : The Constance Victoria Briggs Encyclopaedia of Angels

"LILLITH- A notorious she-demon . In Judaic lore, Lillith was originally Adam's first wife. Claiming that she was equal to Adam , she rebelled against his superiority and forsook her position by his side to become a consort to the fallen angels. (THIS COULD EXPLAIN HER WHITE EYE STATUS)

Thats just an excerpt from the book about lillith... it goes on and on about her....
So really quite interesting

So now here we are with the book's account of Azaz'el
Chief of the WATCHERS( REFERENCE- ok so the book has about a page on watchers who were basically a class of angels called GRIGORI whose purpose was to teach humans anyway they screwed up, took earth wives got god angry and were banished) God blamed Azaz'el for coming to earth and teaching humankind the secrets of Heaven. Azaz'el taught humans the art of making knives ,swords, shields and breast plates. He taught women to use jewelry and cosmetics . Because of this God hand Raphael bind and throw him into an abyss in the desert of Duda'el. Boulders were thrown on top of him .His face was covered so that he could not see the light

My guess is that not seeing the light for so long caused the change to yellow eyes .... just my guess
This stuff is sooo intruiging and i love how Supernatural ties it all together and brings it to life =]
5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ileana_The_Bloody
Ileana_The_Bloody
11. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Nov 7 2010, 9:39 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 7 2010, 9:39 AM EST
According to some Lore; Lilith is the very first demon. She was a child (hence her fixation with children) when she was killed and Lucifer stole her from God. Lucifer took the most pure, Heaven-bound creation of God's and made it into the very first demon. This soul was filled with so mucha hate and venom that she wreaked havok everywhere she went.

Also, there is Hebrew Lore that she was the first wife of Adam and she ran off to the Red Sea because she would not be submissive to Adam. Whilst she stayed at the Red Sea she bore life to hundreds of Demons. God sent three Angels by the names of Senoy, Sansenoy, and Semangelof to get her back.

They told her that if she didn't go back to Adam that they would drown her. She told them that she could not die because God had assigned her to watch over the children. Boys up to their 8th day of life and girls up to their 20th. But she struck a bargain with the Angels. If she saw their names or likeness displayed around an infant that child would be spared.

Still, God punished Lilith by killing her Demon Spawn by one hundred a day. As she worked, if she could not kill a child because of Gods Angels she would kill one of her own.

I don't have any clue where the eye color falls into play but Alistair and Crowley on the T.V show is wrong. Alistair-Crowley was a single Demon with those names. He was Lilith's lover (one of many) and right hand man.
4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
bubbajon
bubbajon
12. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Jun 19 2011, 2:32 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 19 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
I can honestly say that this is pretty accurate in my book. Except for the "Were once Angels who fell from grace and joined Lucifer's legions in Hell." Other wise you did an awesome job!
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

nk1003
13. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Sep 8 2011, 6:49 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 8 2011, 6:51 AM EDT
I have seen a person with, white shining eyes with his hood up(he looked really disturbing), but he was in a human body, he was just standing and watching the street, i walked right past him without saying a thing, he looked about 16 years old. (THIS IS HOW I GOT INTO THIS WEB, i googled white eyes. this isn't a theory its a REAL FACT! 6  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    

Selsiuss
14. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
May 2 2012, 12:03 AM EDT | Post edited: May 2 2012, 12:03 AM EDT
"I have seen a person with, white shining eyes with his hood up(he looked really disturbing), but he was in a human body, he was just standing and watching the street, i walked right past him without saying a thing, he looked about 16 years old. (THIS IS HOW I GOT INTO THIS WEB, i googled white eyes. this isn't a theory its a REAL FACT!"
You watch way too much tv. Take some meds.
5  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    

Selsiuss
15. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
May 2 2012, 12:04 AM EDT | Post edited: May 2 2012, 12:04 AM EDT
"I was actually researching white eyes when I found this page. I have seen the white eyes in this lifetime on a woman I know. One other person I know also saw the colour drain out of her eyes right before him as she spoke to him, including the pupils, all parts of the eye only definable by a milky grey outline and milky abyss behind the fibrous texture of the coloured part of the eye.
The colour literally drained out of her eyes before me, and a sinister smirk came over her face.
I went to my doctor to inquire as to whether there was any medical explaination for such a phenomenon. If it comes and goes, as it did, then there is no medical explaination.
Knowing this woman as I do, I beleive she has sold her soul for personal gain, which makes white eyes human. There is much more to the story, but out of my mouth came this, directed at "white eyes", I called her a "soul stealing demon collector". there was a witness to this. The woman was unfazed by this comment. She simply looked on as if she was thinking, "Oh, she knows". Very creepy, and very real. So I say the white eyes are human, possibly descendants of fallen angels, which makes them perfect for affecting human behavior. This woman has some knowledge of some sort of very bizarre craft, the clergy say it sounds like a very old craft. She also appears to be very psychic, and can travel out of her body to see. The things she does are evil, and without question supernatural.
So there you have it, from a witness to a real one. "
You're not fooling anybody. Stop watching tv and get some mental help.
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
sulfurhound666
sulfurhound666
16. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Mar 4 2013, 5:44 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2013, 5:44 PM EST
I do believe they said ,Lucifer had his first demons ..kind of like how god created his arch angels ..Lucifer took time with his first souls twisting them into his "arch" demons..his badass demons ..they def said azazel and lilith was some of the first demons lilith being the first ..seems every thing in heaven has an opposite or tries to anyway in hell 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
sulfurhound666
sulfurhound666
17. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Mar 4 2013, 6:51 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 4 2013, 6:51 PM EST
And I think a lot if what people say on here is very good..but really quick about axazel yes his name pops up in angel lore..but for this show I do believe just a good name..he prays to Lucifer in the church after sacrificing the nuns and calls him father ...also a fallen angel is still an angel...all demons once had a soul..angels as we all know ..no soul...but great on classifying..I've always thought that as well ..out of all I think red is the most intriguing..for awhile there it looked like only crossroad demons had red eyes..as the first (that hot chick..than the guy Sam stabs in the hand begging to make a deal ...the most disappointing demon ..samhain..they really could of done something with that huge..but w.e....there's so much its amazing 2  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Sharim73
Sharim73
19. RE: Demon eyes: what they signify.
Nov 5 2013, 6:08 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 5 2013, 6:08 AM EST
White eyes signifies the top of the demon chain for once humans. Lilith was the first demon ever made from a human. Black Eyed demons are the regular ex humans but the witch one must have been close to becoming white cos she was very powerful and a recruiter for hell. Red eyed demons are crossroad demons and have either a specific job or the red eyes are a result of the specific summoning because I don't remember Crowley having red eyes and he didn't seem to have been summoned but escaped so maybe black eyes signifies escape from hell as opposed to being summoned but black and red eyed demons seem to follow the same rules with power being accumulated over time. By the way the name Allister and Crowley are a nod to the infamous occult author. Speaking of Allister he is a super powerful demon who earned the role of chief torturer who tortures and teaches hell's new souls. No doubt he earned his place in hell as opposed to bartering his soul, personal opinion. Azazeal sounds like an angels name and since supernatural gets it's lore from all faiths if he is an islamic angel then he is an angel in the show. So far everything I have been curious enough to look up has been based on myth and lore. The writers should get awards for the authenticity. And even for christians angels are pre Christian/Judaism since they were made before people :P 5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)