Discussion: Origin of gankReported This is a featured thread

Showing 4 posts
greatsayain
greatsayain
Origin of gank
Apr 14 2010, 6:39 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 14 2010, 6:39 PM EDT
Does anyone know what the origin of the word "gank" is? How did it come to mean kill or destroy? 3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: gank
1983Sarah
1983Sarah
1. RE: Origin of gank
Apr 21 2010, 4:29 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 21 2010, 4:29 AM EDT
Originally a word for Imitation Crack-Cocaine made with chunks of soap a person would go to buy crack and get ripped off; which lead to the word meaning, "To Steal or Rip Someone off"; Which lead to Gank meaning "Kill Someone" (i.e. Taking/Stealing someones life).

it has also been used as an abbreviation of 'gang kill' in MMORPG's.
7  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
greatsayain
greatsayain
2. RE: Origin of gank
Apr 21 2010, 9:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 21 2010, 9:22 AM EDT
"Originally a word for Imitation Crack-Cocaine made with chunks of soap a person would go to buy crack and get ripped off; which lead to the word meaning, "To Steal or Rip Someone off"; Which lead to Gank meaning "Kill Someone" (i.e. Taking/Stealing someones life).

it has also been used as an abbreviation of 'gang kill' in MMORPG's."
Thank you very much. That was drinking me nuts. I see why they dont' explain it on the show.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
1983Sarah
1983Sarah
3. RE: Origin of gank
Apr 21 2010, 10:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 21 2010, 10:36 AM EDT
"Thank you very much. That was drinking me nuts. I see why they dont' explain it on the show."
Right, it would be hard to tell all of that. Of course, they could have just made up the word for the show themselves too, not knowing that it was a word. So, that's just the urban dictionary's awareness of where it came from.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?