Discussion: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 20  |  Show  posts at a time

MichelleBackstreet31
Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 7 2010, 7:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 7 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
I've been wanting to know this for quite some time now. 20  out of 24 found this valuable. Do you?    
kat4543
kat4543
1. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 8 2010, 1:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 8 2010, 1:25 AM EDT
Maybe they don't have middle names some people don't.but if they do what do you think they are? 5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    

MichelleBackstreet31
2. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 9 2010, 8:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 9 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
"Maybe they don't have middle names some people don't.but if they do what do you think they are?"
Maybe Dean's is Eric after his dad's middle name or Michael? Dean Eric Winchester? Um..Sam's could be Keith? Like when he used it in Free To Be You and Me. Samuel Keith Winchester..um..i hope not.
7  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
kat4543
kat4543
3. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 10 2010, 1:52 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 10 2010, 1:52 AM EDT
Maybe Dean's middle name is Mary's last before she got married. You know like when in Smallville when Mrs. Kent gave the Clark to Supermen. It was her last name before she got married. Sam might be Colt, you know after Samuel Colt. 4  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
Darun_Zahn
Darun_Zahn
4. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 11 2010, 8:09 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 11 2010, 8:09 PM EDT
Since Sam and Dean are both names that Mary chose because of her parents, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose middle names that corresponded with John's side of the family. 8  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
cutiebee53
cutiebee53
5. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 12 2010, 8:51 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 12 2010, 8:51 AM EDT
"Maybe Dean's middle name is Mary's last before she got married. You know like when in Smallville when Mrs. Kent gave the Clark to Supermen. It was her last name before she got married. Sam might be Colt, you know after Samuel Colt."
Mary's last name before she got married was Campbell. Samuel Colt was the guy from the 1800's who made the colt.
4  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
cutiebee53
cutiebee53
6. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 12 2010, 8:52 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 12 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
"Since Sam and Dean are both names that Mary chose because of her parents, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose middle names that corresponded with John's side of the family."
I agree.
5  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
somethingwicked
somethingwicked
7. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 14 2010, 6:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 14 2010, 6:07 AM EDT
I herad somewhere that Dean's middle name was Mathew and I like it: Dean Matthew Winchester ha ha 3  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
kadysn
kadysn
8. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 14 2010, 9:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 14 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
I've always gone with Dean Matthew and Samuel John. At least that's what I use in my fanfic! 5  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
supernateralgirl87
supernateralgirl87
9. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 15 2010, 12:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 15 2010, 12:55 PM EDT
Good question why dont we know their middle names? we know everything else about them don't we? we should know their middle names too.we however DO know they where named after their grandparents(as discovered in season 5)but their is still nomention of their middle names. If we dont know now after 5 years, we might never know. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
supernaturalgirl666
supernaturalgirl666
10. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 17 2010, 9:03 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 17 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
I agree with Darun_Zahn. It would make sense, right? 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
ZackWalls
ZackWalls
11. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Sep 23 2010, 3:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
In my opinion I don't think they should have middle names. 2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
DeanDamonLover
DeanDamonLover
12. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Oct 20 2010, 11:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 20 2010, 11:16 PM EDT
good question. Someone should ask this at the next convention and then post the answer here 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
kat4543
kat4543
13. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Oct 21 2010, 7:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 21 2010, 7:27 AM EDT
hey zack why do you think they shouldn't have middle names? Do you find this valuable?    

Tutups_
14. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Jun 14 2012, 1:36 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 14 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
I always figured Sam's middle name was Frances cos it got a mention in S1 and I think the reaction fit pretty well for it. For dean he's the eldest so I usually say it'd be John but I gave him Charles in a fic, I wanted something germanic and fitting and it felt right cos I worked it in that that was his grandad on John's side name but I kinda agree I can see it being Matthew or Michael easily too. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

briasolo
15. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
May 3 2014, 10:23 AM EDT | Post edited: May 3 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
I saw a post on Pinterest for Sam's birthday that his name is Samuel Campbell Winchester. That's after Mary's father, so it stands to reason that since Dean is named after Mary's mother his middle name would be Mary's mother's maiden name. I don't know if I've ever heard Deanna's maiden name mentioned. Do you find this valuable?    
spnfanforever
spnfanforever
16. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
May 4 2014, 4:20 AM EDT | Post edited: May 4 2014, 4:20 AM EDT
Hey Briasolo,

Welcome to the Wiki! We all hope you enjoy posting here!

I'm one of the mods so if you need any help, feel free to contact me.

And, just because Sam's middle name is from Mary's family that doesn't mean Dean's would have to be - in fact it's as likely to be after John's family to allow his family names some representation...

I like the idea of Dean John Winchester myself :)

I don't think Deanna's maiden name has ever been mentioned on-screen. Maybe it's on a script somewhere?

SFF
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Ms_Fandomaniac
17. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Jan 9 2017, 12:19 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 9 2017, 12:19 AM EST
I've been using Dean Henry Winchester. Maybe a family tradition of using their paternal grandfather's first name as a middle name? Perhaps Henry's father was Eric Winchester?
I've also been using Samuel John Winchester.
Do you find this valuable?    
catleigh
catleigh
18. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Jan 15 2017, 2:15 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 15 2017, 2:15 PM EST
"I've been using Dean Henry Winchester. Maybe a family tradition of using their paternal grandfather's first name as a middle name? Perhaps Henry's father was Eric Winchester?
I've also been using Samuel John Winchester."
Somebody asked J2 about this at a con in recent years. If I recall correctly, J2 were their usual hilarious selves on the subject, but the 'serious' answer was that the boys' middle names have not been 'revealed' by the writers. Then , Jared chimed in that, in his opinion, Sam's middle name is "f*&^in'" because he's Sam F*&^in' Winchester. And Jensen rolled his eyes and the crowd went wild, and that was the end of that.

Regarding the "Francis" thing in S1, that wasn't Sam's middle name. There was a deleted scene where Sam was on the phone getting info on a case, and the name on his fake badge was 'Frances" and the person on the other end was confused because that's a woman's name (esp with that spelling). Then when Sam got back to the table where Dean was waiting, he complained about Dean having given him a badge with a girl name. And so naturally Dean mocked him for his drink order and called him Frances, which stayed in while the rest of it got deleted, thus having Dean kind of randomly calling Sam by a weird name.
5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

HouxBelle
19. RE: Why don't we know Dean and Sam's middle names?
Mar 25 2018, 6:17 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 25 2018, 6:17 PM EDT
I did a lot of research on this and the most I could find was a tweet from Jim Michaels (Producer/Director for Supernatural) and he (jokingly) said their middle names were Samuel James and Dean Michaels.
Obviously a play on his own name (Jim=James and his last name is Michaels) but personally I like that. Plus it makes the whole Dean being Michael's vessel a nice spin.
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)