Discussion: What does the name castiel mean?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 16 of 16  |  Show  posts at a time
padackles4ever
padackles4ever
What does the name castiel mean?
Nov 29 2010, 4:58 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2010, 4:58 PM EST
some one answer me plz!? what does the name 'castiel' mean? 14  out of 18 found this valuable. Do you?    
NaughtyCoyote
NaughtyCoyote
1. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Nov 29 2010, 5:51 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 29 2010, 5:54 PM EST
According to babynamewizard.com, (LMAO, I KNOW) the name Castiel means "My cover is God".

"He is the Angel of Thursday, of changes and of travel. He will help anyone born on a Thursday. He is also a angel of Jupiter. He is one of six Angels."

Hey, maybe the writer's chose the name based on the fact that Supernatural aired on Thursdays? (And apparently the name is German in origin!)

Thar ya go.
14  out of 14 found this valuable. Do you?    
TheNiteHawke
TheNiteHawke
2. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Nov 30 2010, 3:51 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2010, 3:51 PM EST
Actually, we had quite the conversation on this back when Castiel first appeared on the show. In fact, we all discovered that there IS NO angel named Castiel listed.......well, anywhere, lol. the closest any of us was ever able to find was "Cassiel".

We were giving away business cards for a while. Kind of a "how to keep an idiot busy" type of thing because that's exactly what it felt like looking for information on "Castiel" on the internet. It went kind of like this:

ME TO GOOGLE: "Who is Castiel"
GOOGLE ANSWER: An angel of Thursday

ME TO GOOGLE: "What is an angel of Thursday"
GOOGLE ANSWER: Castiel

It didn't matter how you phrased it (believe me, I got pretty creative, lol), you still came up with the same answers. It reminded me of the little cards I'd come across as a kid (usually handed to me by an adult, lol) that said "how do you keep an idiot busy (answer on other side)" on both sides of the card!

With regard to the lack of info on Castiel when he first showed up on SN, we pretty much accused the SN writers and The Kripke of scrubbing the internet of any and all useful information so that they could create him as they liked.
9  out of 14 found this valuable. Do you?    
NaughtyCoyote
NaughtyCoyote
3. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Nov 30 2010, 6:24 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2010, 6:27 PM EST
Lmao! XD Yeah, dug a little deeper and tested that out myself after reading this.

I know 'el' means 'of god'. And I'm not sure if 'Casti' actually mean 'cover'. You think they'd try to hide a hidden message in the meaning of his name? Cover of God... hmm.
5  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Stritgha
Stritgha
4. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Dec 7 2010, 5:46 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 7 2010, 5:49 AM EST
If you look up the name of Cassiel, it's mentioned several times in "the key of Soloman". He is listed as an angel, under the arch-angel,Tzaphquiel, for the day of Sarurday. His color is black, lead is his metal, and is under the planet Saturn, for Saturday.
"the key of Soloman" and "the lesser key of Soloman" are the oldest books that I know of that mention all the angels of heaven and hell.
7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
supernaturalgirl2000
supernaturalgirl2000
5. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Feb 4 2011, 5:08 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 4 2011, 5:08 PM EST
I found this on wikipedia Castiel, literally meaning "My cover is God" in Theophory in the Bible
3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
SupernaturalTonje
SupernaturalTonje
6. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Feb 27 2011, 11:03 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 27 2011, 11:03 AM EST
Hey !
I actually wondered the same thing. I love the name and I found some cool information on this webpage about the name's personality ;) you can check it out :) http://www.babynology.com/german-mnumerocastiel.html#show_first
7  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    

Serinity24
7. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Mar 31 2011, 10:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 31 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Castiel is an angle from the forgotten text. Long ago certian people thought some of the chapters in the bible did not need to be there so they took it out. It's now in the libery of the Vatican. 7  out of 8 found this valuable. Do you?    
warriorsgirl
warriorsgirl
8. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Apr 2 2011, 4:20 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 2 2011, 4:20 PM EDT
Wait it says 'my cover is God?' that makes me come to the unbelievable conclusion that Castiel is actually God.
But as I said it's unbelievable, so I don't believe it naturally ;D
1  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Brivais
Brivais
9. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
May 22 2011, 11:03 AM EDT | Post edited: May 22 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
As we all know Castiel is ''the new God'' as of s6e22 so ''cover of God'' is shown as works as a god or ''covering for God 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
VeronicaMCassiel
VeronicaMCassiel
10. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Jun 2 2011, 3:03 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 2 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
Due to book writing and really bad writers block I was looking up names and their meanings, i came across the name Cassiel which was said to be the Angel of Saturn. But no matter how many times I looked for the meaning of Castiels name, I never got anything. Cassiel was the closest I got. 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
8thArchAngel
8thArchAngel
11. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Jun 5 2012, 6:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 5 2012, 6:57 AM EDT
lol Brivais i was about to say the name fits because Cas is/was God ^.^ even though he exploded (spoiler if you didn't know) and is "Broken" according to dean i still like saying "Cas is God" 2  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ann_Carpen
Ann_Carpen
12. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Jul 19 2012, 6:02 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2012, 6:09 AM EDT
Heres something about the name Castiel. It doesn't have anything to do with angels or the actual origin, more the personality type.

http://www.themeaningofnames.org/?n=Castiel&m=&d=&y=&go=Go
3  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ann_Carpen
Ann_Carpen
13. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Jul 19 2012, 6:08 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2012, 6:08 AM EDT
Heres something about the name Castiel. It doesn't have anything to do with angels or the actual origin, more the personality type.

http://www.themeaningofnames.org/?n=Castiel&m=&d=&y=&go=Go
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Ann_Carpen
Ann_Carpen
14. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Jul 19 2012, 6:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 19 2012, 6:23 AM EDT
Cassiel is the closest the bible comes to Castiel.

Cassiel is the angel of peace and harmony.

Name Meaning: "Speed of God"
Virtues: Acceptance and Wisdom
Colour of Aura: Black, Bronze, Purple and Silver White
Guards this Day: Saturday
Element: Earth
Related to: Number 3
Symbols: Dove
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

alayat
15. RE: What does the name castiel mean?
Apr 4 2013, 8:38 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 4 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Yeah, I know this question is old.

If you look at all the other angels, their names all end in "el." The translation means God or of God. As far as I know, "casti" is a Latin adjective for pure, so Castiel's name probably means something about how he is holy.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)