Discussion: Anti-possession tattoo??Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 21 - 40 of 40  |  Show  posts at a time
Previous | 1 2
SuperZu
SuperZu
20. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 12 2011, 2:37 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 12 2011, 2:37 PM EST
Here you go!

http://www.supernatural-fan-wiki.com/photo/8473507/Protection+Against+Possession

1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
21. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 12 2011, 3:54 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 12 2011, 3:54 PM EST
Thank you!! =D If I had bothered to look... sorry! 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
spnrocks
spnrocks
22. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 15 2011, 3:56 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 3:56 PM EST
Hey guys, i have a hmm question. Remember when dean tells Sam that he came back without any scars or anything, well then how come hthe tattoo was intact? Also, on another subject, it was revealed that only an angel can kill an angel, so how is it that Dean killed
zac in "point of no return" I know he had said yes, but technicaly he wasn't possesed by Micheal yet......hmmmmm?
Do you find this valuable?    
greatsayain
greatsayain
23. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 15 2011, 4:17 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 4:17 PM EST
"Hey guys, i have a hmm question. Remember when dean tells Sam that he came back without any scars or anything, well then how come hthe tattoo was intact? Also, on another subject, it was revealed that only an angel can kill an angel, so how is it that Dean killed
zac in "point of no return" I know he had said yes, but technicaly he wasn't possesed by Micheal yet......hmmmmm? "
I think that "only an angel can kill an angel" was exagerrated. The angel who said it beleive it to be true because that is all he had seen in the past not because of a metaphysical law.
You do need an angel dagger (knife/sword not sure what fandom has decided to call them). which means you have to get close enough to stab the angle you want to kill. So in most cases only another angel would be fast enough to get to the target angel before it moved. Dean found a way around that.
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
24. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 15 2011, 4:58 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 4:58 PM EST
"Hey guys, i have a hmm question. Remember when dean tells Sam that he came back without any scars or anything, well then how come the tattoo was intact? "
Well, I'm not entirely sure. I did watch for the tattoo post being dragged from hell and it wasn't clear since apparently Sam is the one that likes to strut around shirtless the most. If anything, he might have had it redone.

Sam had it when he was pulled from hell too. So maybe the angels left it on as a courtesy? Since it was a "good" marking that helped their well being and scars didn't? I don't know. Pure speculation.
greatsayain
greatsayain
25. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 15 2011, 5:09 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 5:09 PM EST
not to mention they both died, went to heaven and came back when those other hunts killed them. Its no wonder Death is so annoyed with them. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Darun_Zahn
Darun_Zahn
26. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 15 2011, 11:28 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 11:28 PM EST
The tattoos could have been left because it is an ink under the skin rather than a wound.
I think that's right about the person just needing an angel blade and the situation to be able to kill them.
I'm sure Dean likes to strut with his shirt off too, it's just that the camera people know how much we love seeing Sam with his off :P
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
27. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 16 2011, 4:30 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 16 2011, 4:30 AM EST
"not to mention they both died, went to heaven and came back when those other hunts killed them. Its no wonder Death is so annoyed with them."
HAHA Yeah I'd be annoyed with them too if I were death. Talk about screwing up the way things are supposed to be!

Well maybe it's just RoboSam that likes to strut around shirtless. I remember a handful of times Dean is shirtless and a lesser handful when Sam is shirtless (pre-RoboSam) so maybe there's something about being soulless that encourages not wearing clothing? That'd be an interesting psychological study.
spnrocks
spnrocks
28. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 16 2011, 8:52 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 16 2011, 8:52 AM EST
No, Dean had it when he came back, Remember at the gas station, He lifted his shirt to see his chest, it was there. Your right Yukinakid, RoboSam was more open about bing naked. That's one thing I will miss about him LOL Do you find this valuable?    
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
29. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 16 2011, 9:33 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 16 2011, 9:33 AM EST
"No, Dean had it when he came back, Remember at the gas station, He lifted his shirt to see his chest, it was there. Your right Yukinakid, RoboSam was more open about bing naked. That's one thing I will miss about him LOL"
Yes! I had forgotten that. Then my theory stands that the angels felt it was pertinent to their survival to keep the tattoo. Though what I want to know is if that lovely hand print of Castiel's is still on Dean's shoulder. I assume it is, but then again they did go to heaven between Dean's "raising from perdition" and now. So... I dunno?

It'd be an odd scar to explain. I wonder how he explained it to the girls he likes to have flings with. I'm sure he told Lisa the truth since she knew all about the Supernatural world.
Nikcon7
Nikcon7
30. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 17 2011, 4:01 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 17 2011, 4:01 AM EST
Thank you all for your responses to this thread!! What fantastic discussions!

Ok, here's my next question on the subject - I realize that this tattoo design was created for the show (see link http://www.fanpop.com/external/9708882), but is there an actual anti-possession symbol in factual lore? When I google it, I can basically only find referrences to SPN's take on it.
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
31. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 17 2011, 7:20 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 17 2011, 7:21 AM EST
"Thank you all for your responses to this thread!! What fantastic discussions!

Ok, here's my next question on the subject - I realize that this tattoo design was created for the show (see link http://www.fanpop.com/external/9708882), but is there an actual anti-possession symbol in factual lore? When I google it, I can basically only find referrences to SPN's take on it."
Yes, there is actually. The picture below is a ring I got at the Renaissance Festival in Georgia (where I live). The symbol of the never ending star is everywhere, used as protection. This particular ring is a "Guardian Angel" ring that protects the wearer and enhances their angel's powers, etc. That's the lore anyways.

It came from pagan religions, even seen in Sir Gaiwain and the Green Knight as a symbol of the five virtues of knighthood. It was carved on the outside of his shield to show he was an honorable man.

The symbol has many meanings, but it is most definitely old.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/685/img000232w.jpg
5  out of 10 found this valuable. Do you?    
Darun_Zahn
Darun_Zahn
32. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 17 2011, 6:02 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 17 2011, 6:02 PM EST
Indeed there are some protection symbols out there. Also going on what YukinaKid has said, there is information about the pentagram, which is incorporated in the protective symbol SPN has used as well as a tribal symbol for the sun. The pentagram, originally a symbol of balance, power, and protection symbolizes the four elements on the points and then the fifth element, being the spirit or soul. When the pentagram is pointing upward it is a good symbol, when inverted it represents imbalance and weakness in a person. Sometimes people refer to the pentagram as the Seal of Solomon, who is said to have used it to seal away, command, and speak with angels and demons through its use. In fact in many books of Solomonic Magic you will find the pentagram as a safe area for a summoner to stand while summoning such otherworldly creatures. Pentagram is only one of the terms people know the symbol by. The reason it has been associated with devil worship is because of the various practices used when summoning demons and rituals that use the symbol. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Nikcon7
Nikcon7
33. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 18 2011, 10:06 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2011, 10:06 AM EST
Thank you both! I remember reading somewhere before about the pentagram and its relationship to Solomon but I had forgotten all about that. However, I didn't know that about Sir Gaiwain - and here I thought I was a true Arthurian!! :-( Guess I need to brush up. Cool pic, by the way, Yukinakid! Love the ring!! Do you find this valuable?    
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
34. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 18 2011, 2:09 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2011, 2:09 PM EST
"Thank you both! I remember reading somewhere before about the pentagram and its relationship to Solomon but I had forgotten all about that. However, I didn't know that about Sir Gaiwain - and here I thought I was a true Arthurian!! :-( Guess I need to brush up. Cool pic, by the way, Yukinakid! Love the ring!!"
Don't worry about it =D I only found out in my English class last semester. <3 Thanks! I love the ring. I looked all over the Festival to find the star that wasn't garishly big. It's a great place.

I am seeing about making a bracelet with the pattern of the star in it. If I ever finish it, I'll post a picture here! =D
spnrocks
spnrocks
35. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 20 2011, 6:03 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2011, 6:03 PM EST
Castiel didn't give a dean a tattoo, that was a handprint,like burned on mark.from him griping him tightly and raising him from perdition LOL 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
36. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 20 2011, 7:05 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2011, 7:05 PM EST
"Castiel didn't give a dean a tattoo, that was a handprint,like burned on mark.from him griping him tightly and raising him from perdition LOL"
Yes, but since he was cleansed of all other marks and died at least once after that mark happened, does he still have it? It was REALLY big and distracting... who knows! lol
Darun_Zahn
Darun_Zahn
37. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 20 2011, 7:18 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 20 2011, 7:18 PM EST
I just now sort of thought of this so it very well could have its hiccups, but we've mainly been thinking of Dean physically being in Hell and then being dropped off on Earth, but really what happened is that Dean's soul was in Hell, Cas gripped his soul and returned it to Earth and mended his body, so really Dean's body never lost the tattoo. The hand print could be there because that could be the entry point where Cas returned his soul to his body or maybe just a...ahh crap what are they called....sympathetic wounds? Anyway a wound or mark on his soul that manifested on his body. Cas could have simply decided not to mend the tattoo though.
Interesting side thought t is about the rib markings on Sam and Dean bestowed by Cas to hide them from angels. Are they removed and angels can sense their presence now? Are they still there and angels can't sense them? If so then how does Cas know where the brothers are? Maybe he can know when they pray to him, but other times he just knows where they are, like when Crowley gets torched.
SuperZu
SuperZu
38. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 21 2011, 3:14 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 3:14 AM EST
"
Interesting side thought t is about the rib markings on Sam and Dean bestowed by Cas to hide them from angels. Are they removed and angels can sense their presence now? Are they still there and angels can't sense them? If so then how does Cas know where the brothers are? Maybe he can know when they pray to him, but other times he just knows where they are, like when Crowley gets torched."
An important question, considering the upcoming episode on Friday! :D
YukinaKid
YukinaKid
39. RE: Anti-possession tattoo??
Feb 21 2011, 4:10 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2011, 4:10 AM EST
"An important question, considering the upcoming episode on Friday! :D"
Yes, it is important. I love discussing stuff like this. Makes me really look at the show.

Though for make-up reasons, I'm sure we won't see the hand print very much.

I want the episode Friday now!!!
Previous | 1 2