Discussion: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 28 2020, 9:54 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 28 2020, 9:54 AM EST
Knowing they are not themselves after the last episode, presumably because they pissed off Chuck, Sam and Dean, last we saw them, were headed to Alaska to a place Garth told them "could possibly turn their luck around". This week, they're playing some very high-stakes pool. Not sure how it will tie in with last week...or when they will figure out the final plan for controlling Chuck. It seems like right now they are trying to get their normal lives back. Well, "normal" for them, anyway.

Guys, we're halfway through the final season! Yikes!
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
kate38
kate38
1. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 30 2020, 9:06 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 30 2020, 9:34 PM EST
This episode was enjoyable, but surprisingly stressful! I was very worried, because it was OBVIOUS that winning or losing both came with a price tag. I liked this one, though.

LOVED seeing Dean in his element, and it was a nice balance to let Sam be the one who played the final games.

Hey, did you guys recognize Scottie from “Scarecrow”? And the djinn mother from "Pac Man Fever"?

I LOVE the fact that the brothers refused to leave until all the people were free – even though they didn’t know whether they had their mojo back or not. The Winchester brothers are truly the stuff of heroes.

I thought the goddess' take on why Chuck created gods was pretty interesting. Nice way to fill in some gaps in the lore. Many fans have wondered WHO created the gods and why.

Okay, Jack is back. I hope he’s interesting this time. But I am not on board with this yet. First: I’m surprised Cas didn’t test Jack at all to make sure it was him. How do we know it’s not some other creature from the Empty?? Second: WHY does he have to eat angel hearts to become stronger?! That sounds like MONSTER stuff to me. That sounds like Sam having to get addicted to demon blood in order to "kill" Lilith bad to me. And is anybody worried that Castiel’s heart might be next on the menu? Just me? Okay, then. Third: Didn’t we already establish that killing or imprisoning Chuck would be a BAD thing? Like monsters-will overrun-the-world bad? So is Jack’s master plan going to put him at odds with the Winchesters AGAIN?? Ugh!!! The kid's been back for 1 episode and it's already stressful.

Glad the boys have their mojo back. I think we're all gonna need some divine intervention to survive the second half of this season.

kate
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
2. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 30 2020, 10:03 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2020, 6:24 AM EST
YESSSSS!!

OKAY, first impression: I really liked this one!!!

Maybe I have low expectations after last week? However, I thought this one was more like "olden days"!
It felt like home!

Pool hall + Sam & Dean felt like a nod to the past.

Loved to see Sam and Dean confident in their abilities!
Pool is ao sexy when done right!!!

Fortuna was a good choice of opponent/ally for the Winchesters! I had actually just recently thought why they had not used her before.

Agree with kate!!! Interesting twist on how other Gods are created!! Love the idea.

Also greatly intrigued by Billie's interest in Jack and her strategy?! Why does she want to help him to kill GOD?? What is the end game? Happy for Cas that he has his "son" back!!

More tomorrow, but I really enjoy this one

PNP

kate38
kate38
3. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 30 2020, 10:11 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 30 2020, 10:11 PM EST
"Pool hall + Sam & Dean felt like a nod to the past.

Loved to see Sam and Dean confident in their abilities!
Pool is ao sexy when done right!!!

PNP

"
The Winchesters DO make pool look gooooood ;)
And Dean's jump shot was awesome! I wonder if that's in Jensen's arsenal, or if they just did that for Dean.
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
4. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 31 2020, 9:25 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2020, 9:25 AM EST
"The Winchesters DO make pool look gooooood ;)
And Dean's jump shot was awesome! I wonder if that's in Jensen's arsenal, or if they just did that for Dean. "
I wondered the same thing!!

It was BEAUTIFUL to watch....ALL of the pool stuff!
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
5. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 31 2020, 9:31 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2020, 9:31 AM EST
OKAY - I watched it again and...

Loved the pool hall thing. Loved the boy's confidence. LOOOOVED Sam and Dean shining at pool. Loved that they went in for themselves but came out helping everyone there. Loved the recognition of their hero status. Loved the use of Fortuna.

I don't believe that they got their mojo completely back from the encounter, but I do think it restored their FIGHTING SPIRIT and that will help in standing up against Chuck.

The other storyline with Cas on a solo "hunt" was suspenseful and intriguing!

I forgive them for not showing us that they tested Jack....I chose to believe they DID do it "behind the scenes".

Jack eating GREGORY hearts....yeah, I was a little stunned, but the way I understood (even from the Angel Heart episode) is that Gregory are especially powerful, but have gone rogue and are feeding of people!? They implied last night that the two angels Jack killed were abusing patients and children....

Over all I thought this one was a really good set up and "beginning of the end"!!

Maybe Billie is grooming Jack to become the "god-replacement"?? Cleaning up the angel squad, taking back power God embued in them in the beginning.
WHY that has to be through eating their hearts.....well, that is where I was confused, but I guess, they were trying to mislead us into thinking Jack COULD be a monster?!

You are always SO good at spotting reoccurring actors, kate!!!! I only think "looks so familiar" but have a hard time remembering from WHERE.

I also found the explanation of how other deities are created very interesting in the context of OUR show!!! Because, really, in real live I am always having a hard time with the claims of superiority of the Christian religion when it is the youngest of world religions....but whatever, this is not the forum for that discussion :)

PNP
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
6. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 31 2020, 10:18 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2020, 10:25 AM EST
I liked this one!!!! It was kind of slow...the pool-playing suspense, but I found that effective. I also liked them encountering another kind of God/Goddess/Entity for the first time in awhile who wasn't Chuck or Christian-lore-inspired. I've liked their dealings with ancient Gods in the past. I liked this one too.

Most of all, I liked that they "won" because of WHO THEY ARE! They actually IMPRESSED a deity with their morals...truly like those of ancient heroes and I LOVED THAT!!!!

Now, HOW did Jack get back??? Billie just zapped him back? I wish we'd had a bit of context there or a conversation between Jack and Billie (the result of the "we have to talk" clip). I expected this. I expected this season to come down to Jack's abilities against God or ability to maybe replace God in some way? But I though this return might be more interesting or make more sense?

Cas with Jack is really lovely. The way he feels so fatherly towards him and Misha really gets that across. I love watching Cas' reactions to Jack.

Why does Sam spell "Cas" wrong ("Cass")? In the note he left.

I loved seeing Dean all cocky about his pool ability. And loved that quiet-Sam came through in the end and his skills weren't bad either. I know he ultimately lost, but he did great! And it was SAM who first said "they matter to me" about the other people in the bar...and Dean echoed "they matter to us", but it was Sam's caring for other people that ultimately let them walk out of there with their luck intact...though apparently not enough luck to win with scratch-off tickets (like rabbit foot luck)...but enough to have the credit card working again!

Kate; I liked how the goddess filled in how and why God created them too! Kate; I also think that Jack will take out God, but, ultimately, also replace him to keep the balance...
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
7. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 31 2020, 10:24 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2020, 10:27 AM EST
And then if Jack is the new God, the Winchesters (if still alive at the end) will have God on their side...but that DOES sound too neat and clean for the ending of the show...

PigNaPoke...pool (played with skill) is so sexy. You're right there!

Kate: I too wondered if that jump shot was something Jensen can actually do or if it was enhanced in some way?

I did think Jack was already powerful enough not to need to eat Gregori (or anything else's) hearts...so that kinda confused me too. I know it's God, but, good point that it kind of makes you think back to Sam and demon blood.

PigNaPoke - amen on Christianity as the dominant religion in this part of the world, often to the exclusion of all others..but you're right; I guess this is not the place to discuss that! I will say that I always like it when they acknowledge deities from other belief systems though.

Sam hugging Jack was sweet. Sweet that Jack said he wanted to come back "home" for awhile; to them and the bunker. I love that he thinks of it that way. Dean's welcome...staring into Jack's eyes...I wasn't sure what was going on there. It wasn't a hug; was he really trying to discern if Jack was truly "okay" and "real"? It was intense!
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
8. RE: Let's all talk about "The Gamblers" (S15 E11) here!
Jan 31 2020, 10:11 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 31 2020, 10:11 PM EST
"Kate; I liked how the goddess filled in how and why God created them too!"
Hey JBB!!

Didn't Fortuna say that PEOPLE created the other Gods in a way because they worshipped "sun and womb and so on"?

I have to rewatch....

But I LOVED that bit.

PNP