Reply To: Let’s all talk about The Winchesters Pilot (S1 E1)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Winchesters Pilot (S1 E1) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about The Winchesters Pilot (S1 E1)

borgmama1of5
    Borgmama1of5
    October 13, 2022 at 2:16 am #21189

My immediate reaction: It was okay and I will keep watching because it’s Jensen’s and Robbie Thompson’s baby and they promised to make canon right.

As a pilot it had a lot of introduction to do, particularly in giving thumbnail portraits of the supporting characters, none of whom I felt any real connection to yet. I do like the way John is being portrayed, I particularly found it interesting that he didn’t need the ‘vampires are real’ speech all newbies get because it fits with the John we got in season 5–‘The Song Remains the Same.’ When the boys went back in time to stop angel Anna from killing their parents John didn’t need a long explanation:

JOHN: Monsters. Monsters?
    MARY: Yes.
    JOHN: Monsters are real.
    MARY: I’m sorry, I didn’t know how—
    JOHN: And you fight them? All of you?
    SAM: Yeah.
    JOHN: How long?
    MARY: All my life. John, just try to understand—
    DEAN: She didn’t exactly have a choice—
    JOHN: Shut up, all of you! Look, not another word, or so help me, I will turn this car around!

And, as you can see in this later scene, John didn’t care for explanations, he was all about doing something:
    JOHN: Hey, what’s the deal with the thing on the paper?
    DEAN: It’s a sigil. That means—
    JOHN: I don’t care what it means. Where does it go?
    DEAN: On a wall or a door.
    JOHN: How big should I make it?
    DEAN: John—
    JOHN: What? Y’all might have treated me like a fool, but I am not useless. I can draw a damn—
    JOHN picks up the paper from next to a large knife.
    JOHN: —whatever it is—a sigil.
    DEAN: Why don’t you go help Sam out? Okay? ‘Cause this has got to be done in…it’s got to be done in human blood.
    JOHN picks up the knife, unsheathes it, and slices his left palm open.
    JOHN: So, how big?

In canon Mary bumped into John for the first time when she was coming out of the movie ‘Slaughterhouse Five’ and they went out for coffee…they kept the bumping into each other and the movie marquee was ‘Slaughterhouse Five’ but details were changed.

Did anyone else think of Dean’s vehement defense of licorice in Bobby’s memory when Mary said she’d bought licorice?

Demon inconsistency didn’t bother me, the abilities of demons in the mothership were very inconsistent as well, and I just roll with it.

John digging the silver cross out of his arm was bizarre. When he first mentioned it in the car I thought that might be what was keeping his friend’s ghost around, but apparently it’s not a real ghost, just PTSD?

I, like others here, also didn’t understand why Mary left her car in Texas to drive Carlos’ van, and those kinds of goofs always throw me out of the story.

I want to like it…and I’ll keep watching…

But it’s not my boys…