Let’s all talk about Changing Channels (S5 E8)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Changing Channels (S5 E8)

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 day, 4 hours ago by đź”° + 0.75 BТС. Next >> https://telegra.ph/BTC-Transaction–211764-03-14?hs=ddf1d41cdbd73fb4dc36ac8702ee91f0& đź”°.
  • Author
        December 27, 2022 at 9:02 pm #35217

I am not a huge fan of this one. But on rewatch it had its moments.

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          December 27, 2022 at 9:02 pm #35228

I am less a fan of the humorous ones sometimes. I didn’t love the “TV land” clips. Especially wasn’t into the Japanese game show or the sitcom. I died laughing on first watch at their send-up of CSI Miami – it was SO GOOD at calling out how silly that show was. I was thinking that people finding Supernatural today won’t understand why that is so funny. And reaching WAY back to Knight Rider!

There were some cute touches like when Dean was rummaging around in the trunk while Sam was the car and Sam said it was uncomfortable, then when Sam is brought back to this true form he walks out of the car rubbing his butt. Funny.

The Dr. Sexy (Grey’s Anatomy send-up) was fun though. Revealing how much Dean likes trashy TV…loved that Dean pointed out that Dr. Sexy was sexy because he wore cowboy boots. He was such a fanboy when he “met” Dr. Sexy, it was great.

When the episode got serious at the end, when we find out that the Trickster is an archangel (I thought that happened later!), then it got good. All the discussion about brothers and family and Dean calling Gabriel out – all of that was great. I did wonder why they let Gabriel go. Because he brought Cas back?

I liked about half of this episode. I have to wonder what Jared and Jensen thought when they got this script! I am assuming they have fun doing this.

Reply | Quote
        • PigNaPoke
            PigNaPoke
            December 27, 2022 at 9:02 pm #35383

HA, how funny. I see it completely differently! I truly find this an ICONIC episode!

I have heard Jared and Jensen say at cons that filming this was great fun because it was so different – like a fun break.

I LOVE this one and the way that Kripke and Co. clearly swiped at some of the very popular, but silly and absolutely less-than SPN, TV shows out there. Maybe as a way to protest that shows like Grey’s Anatomy and CSI kept winning awards while SPN was shunned?

It’s also VERY INTERESTING that some of the shows they make fun of (Grey’s Anatomy and CSI) are STILL on the air now….lol…  They chose them really well, I guess.

And Knight Rider will always be known, I guess…or is that just our generation? Younger fans….please chime in….does Knight Rider mean anything to you?

I am glad they clearly picked David Caruso to mock for CSI Miami!!! Sorry, but I always HATED that show and that character and ridiculous way he behaved…exactly as made fun off by Sam and Dean here! WELL DONE.

I also love the game show bit, because to me it pokes fun at how desperate some game shows have become in trying to invent new “interesting” games AND how idiotic the contestants are to subject themselves to these silly games.

Of course, Sam and Dean don’t have free choice here….or…do they? It’s also an interesting conundrum.

The commercial is also really funny to me, because really MOST medical commercials are sooo ridiculous in what they actually show us vs what they are about.

To me it all works and has a deeper criticism behind it.

You know…one thought that was new to me this time around: Watching this for the umpteenth time now….it suddenly occurred to me that I would have found it more reasonable if DEAN would have suggested trying to talk to the Trickster instead of Sam! Sam was truly traumatized from watching Dean die so many times and his six-month hunt for the Trickster thereafter! I find it more unbelievable now that SAM would come up with the idea to possibly cooperate with him.

Anyhow, I LOVE this one. It’s so creative, funny (of course), intriguing and really timeless!! What amazing feat!

And just when we think “ok, the Trickster’s still a dick and not to be trusted” to find out that there is so much MORE to him!!! WOW. What a reveal that is! Good on Dean to figure out that he’s an angel. Even if he didn’t figure out the whole truth.

I love the change that RSJ brings to the moment when Gabriel reveals his name. You see a real shift there from taunting lightheartedness to gravitas and seriousness. Well done.

Only SPN can pull off an episode where you laugh your ass off the whole way through and end on such heavy note!

LOVE LOVE LOVE when Dean gets pissed and snarky at impossible opposition!

Reply | Quote
        Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Changing Channels (S5 E8)

Your information:

Cancel