Let’s all talk about Devil’s Trap (S1 E22)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Devil’s Trap (S1 E22)

• Author
        April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #7445

We started our re-watch of S1 the week after the S15 finale. Wow. That seems like a long time ago and, also, as painful as if it were yesterday. I do find myself falling in love all over again when watching the early seasons. I can’t wait to keep going on to S2. The slow re-watch is good for me. I miss Sam and Dean every single day and don’t know how long I’ll be sad that they whole team is not up in Vancouver creating new stories for us anymore. I’ll probably be sad about that forever.

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #7796

I still jumped when the truck rammed the Impala at the end.

Jared and Jensen are magic onscreen together and when you add in JDM – it’s just riveting all around. Loved JDM “as” the YED – so very good and believable. In my mind, Dean is right 99.9% of the time and I LOVE that he just knows that dad is not “dad”.

Also, incredibly brotherly connection as Sam and Dean stick together, continuing to be in defiance of John. Great great non-verbal acting when Sam looks back to the backseat to a beat-to-hell Dean who’s clearing giving him the “look” to tell him he did the right thing in not killing their father in order to take out the demon.

I remember on first watch wondering how in the world they could survive that wreck in any way when they were so beaten up already…well…I guess Dean doesn’t really survive it.

The rescue of John was nail-biting. The somewhat reckless use of a valuable Colt bullet so Dean can save Sam – it just set up so much of what is to come in the next years of the show. Nothing is more important than Sam.

We learned that Dean always wanted to be a firefighter.

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #8395

“Also, incredibly brotherly connection as Sam and Dean stick together, continuing to be in defiance of John. Great great non-verbal acting when Sam looks back to the backseat to a beat-to-hell Dean who’s clearing giving him the “look” to tell him he did the right thing in not killing their father in order to take out the demon.”

I love that moment, too! Jensen is such a master — he can say so much without saying anything at all <3 <3 <3

Reply | Quote
          • journalbookbinder
              April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #7799

I yelled out loud “BOBBY!!!” in this one. The first time we see him. I LOVE BOBBY! It was so great to see them admit they needed help here and know EXACTLY where to turn.

Also, it still unnerved me when possessed-John said that holy water doesn’t work on a demon of his caliber. It’s like “WAIT! NO! They have to have something they can depend on to find out who’s a demon and who’s not!!!” I did not like that one bit.

And seriously, JDM being John and the demon and being able to “break through” the possession as John so damn believably. Master!

Reply | Quote
            • PigNaPoke
                April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #7803

SO MUCH GOOD in this one, BUT I also find myself chuckle how many things DIDN’T stick around.

Like excessively long exorcisms. HAHA. If they’d have to recite ALL of that every time they use one….
                Sam (Jared) was always better than Dean (Jensen) with the Latin but even he must have had a twisted tongue after that scene.

I do like the violence of the demon not wanting to let go of the possessed vessel though it makes the violation of humanity so much more visceral. But I get that that was impractical to keep around for every subsequent excorsism.

Another thing that didn’t stick around was the idea of demons passing like a virus from person to person by mere touch. It makes it way to easy for demons to run the world. I like to think humans are a bit more resilient to evil influence of demons and not just weak targets.

What? Salt works against demons? You can “salt them out”? HAHA. Nope – didn’t stick.

LOOOOVE BOBBY!!! (Poor Rumsfeld…) We get to see his house and property for the first time – yay! We get to meet him and learn how much he knows. We immediately get the impression that he CARES about the boys. Why else would he lend a priceless book to them and offer to clear up the mess with Meg’s body.

Nicky Aycox is SOO good in her final scenes. Intense and scary and powerful and then pitifully human in her death.

The family moments were amazing!
                Dean admitting that he’s scared of himself sometimes is so touching.

JDM’s transformation into Azazel from one moment to the next is amazing. He’s really scary.

Love that Sam doesn’t question how Dean knows that John isn’t John but steps behind Dean’s protection instead.

I always thought it was chilling that holy water doesn’t work on a demon of his caliber (aka Prince of Hell)!! It’s truly terrifying to find out none of your knowledge holds any water (bada-ching). Kinda similar to when Dean shoots Lucifer in the head with the colt and it doesn’t work. Makes you feel like a tiny ant ready to be stepped on in a blink. And makes the Winchesters’ willingness to fight evil anyways even more impressive.

Azazel sure knows how to slash at Dean with so much more than invisible claws!!! It must have been hell to hear all that even if you’re trying to hang on to thinking that it’s lies. Mixing in stuff like Sam ring-shopping for Jess, which is news to Dean, but rings true must make it really hard to see the line between that and untruth. Like DOES John like Sam better? Does John think Dean isn’t needed? It’s horrible to hear.

Always wondered why Azazel would disappear through the floorboards?

And HOW did the demon trucker knew where to find them?? I Jump at the crash EVERY time. No matter that I know it’s coming, no matter that I know they’ll survive….the pure explosive violence of it is still shocking.

WHAT a cliff hanger. I remember my first hellatus like it was yesterday. Worrying one of them would not survive. Not knowing yet that people come back from the dead.

Reply | Quote
                • kate38
                    April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #8396

“Another thing that didn’t stick around was the idea of demons passing like a virus from person to person by mere touch. It makes it way to easy for demons to run the world. I like to think humans are a bit more resilient to evil influence of demons and not just weak targets.”

I thought that was cool, too! There was a movie that used a similar device. I can’t recall the title, but Denzel Washington was a cop (I think) and he was tracking a murderer that was a demon possessing people and using their vessels to commit murders. In one scene, someone is running down a crowded street, trying to get away from the demon. And instead of physically chasing the person, the demon just touches another person and passes from person to person that way. It’s very chilling.
                    Anyway, although it’s a cool trick, it’s not as much fun as watching a demon smoke out 🙂

kate

Reply | Quote
                • kate38
                    April 26, 2021 at 10:24 am #8394

We so rarely get to see the exterior of Bobby’s house! I have always loved the blue-collar grittiness of the early seasons. I love the bunker set, but miss the vibe of those early seasons.

Speaking of Bobby, I can’t say enough positive things about Jim Beaver or Bobby as a character. I just love them both! I never doubted his devotion to the boys for a single second.

That exorcism scene is pretty intense! I wonder what Bobby expected the brothers to do, though. When Meg had given up part of John’s location, Bobby told the boys that driving out the demon would kill Meg. Did he expect them to leave her possessed?

Once again, we see Dean use and EMF meter to detect demons. We also saw that on the plane in Phantom Traveler, but it quickly falls by the wayside after season 1. I’m kind of glad — that would’ve made things too easy.

kate

Reply | Quote
                Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Devil’s Trap (S1 E22)

Your information:

Cancel