Let’s all talk about Everybody Loves a Clown (S2 E2)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Everybody Loves a Clown (S2 E2)

• Author
        June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8259

I love this one so much. Can’t wait to watch it again!

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8263

REALLY, you love it??? I HATE clowns and always found this episode really creepy. Of course, that’s the point and I get it.
          I do find the case interesting and am glad that the KIDS were not the ones harmed but that they are bait to get to the parents.

I kinda love how in the early seasons the brother’s first instinct and guess was mostly “spirit” or “ghost” and how they slowly learn more and more TOGETHER with us. They rely so often on someone else (Ellen in this case, Bobby most often) to tell them what they are hunting instead of researching it themselves….it really shows their growth in later seasons. They learned from the best (John, his journal, Bobby, Ellen etc) before they become completely self-sufficient. That, too, makes them more interesting to me. They weren’t all knowing or superior in the beginning – they just acted on heart, instinct, training and good guidance from a reliable network and the grew into some badass hunters who save the world – a lot – over time right before our eyes.
          AH, SINGLE MAN TEAR at the pyre!!
          Love the slight role reversal here when Sam is the one who wants to storm off and DO something to revenge John and Dean is the one with the cool head and logic that they have NOTHING to go on for the time being. It also establishes the pattern if Dean internalizing his struggles when Sam wants to talk it out and share his pain. Glad some things stayed consistent all the way through…lol….even if it’s the dysfunctional ones. The did learn to deal with it better over the years and I’m glad for that, too.
          This whole episode has a really palpable undercurrent of Sam’s guilt to have parted with John in anger and Dean’s worry that Sam will up and leave at any moment – even before they each actually say that. And we can also see clearly how they struggle to see a way forward, without John, with each other, unsure what and who to trust. Of course, they got each other’s back in dangerous situations, but what happens during the rest of the time? It’s hard to watch, but well played.

The introduction of the Roadhouse, Jo and Ellen is FANTASTIC! Continuing the SPN tradition of STRONG independent, self-reliant FEMALE characters!! They feel real and honest to me. Multi-layered and relatable as a mother-daughter relationship with all the love and all the frustration that comes with it.

And Ash is just a GEM. I always wanted him to have played a little bit bigger of a role and have a few more episodes. It was a real shame to lose him this quickly.

Sam’s hair is EXTRA stupid in early season 2!!! Dean though looks extra fine! A bit more grown up from last season and gorgeous. His eyes seem HUGE in this episode.

Good episode that deepens our understanding of the many layers of the brotherly relationship.

Reply | Quote
        • rosethornshurt
            June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8266

I agree with PigNaPoke on this episode.

“God, I hate clowns… They always creep me out.”
            From the first line of dialogue I think it’s apparent this episode truly was written for those of us that grew up like Sam, creeped out by, or even perhaps terrified of, clowns!
            For the record, I’m afraid of flying and clowns! (“Planes crash!” “And apparently clowns kill.”)

I like that they learned a little lesson about assumptions in the end of this episode. Don’t assume the blind guy is blind. Don’t assume the guy that looks like his father in the picture is actually just himself years later. Though it would have fit the lore nicely into a neat bow, it could also get you killed if there isn’t a calliope handy to kill the monster.

And Ash, well he stole a piece of my heart immediately, of course. Between practically reprising his Fast Jesse role and sharing beliefs of ghosts, how could he not? Yeah Chad! 🤜

Reply | Quote
            • kate38
                June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8372

Hi, Rosethornshurt!
                Sorry to be late to the convo, but welcome to the wiki!!
                I agree 100% about Ash! I loved him from the moment we met him :). Speaking of not jumping to conclusions, I guess the brothers shouldn’t assume that the guy asleep on the pool table isn’t an M.I.T. genius, I guess, right!?

kate

Reply | Quote
            • journalbookbinder
                June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8282

First of all, welcome Rosethornshurt! So glad to have more people to discuss episodes with!

Oh, I totally HATE clowns too! But I love this episode. To me, it has everything that I love in Supernatural. Humor. Creep factor. A good mystery (which carnival guy is it?). Interesting creature lore. The ROADHOUSE. And the incredibly intense ending with Dean laying into the Impala. It has it all. I put in the same category as Mystery Spot. And it started with the burning of John’s body which is huge! THIS is why I love this show; these episodes with EVERYTHING in them.

I actually FORGOT that this is the episode where we first get to see the Roadhouse. It’d kind of a revelation that there is much more of a network out there past John’s colleagues (like pastor Jim and Caleb). I LOVED Ellen immediately. Ash is also perfect. I can never get enough of him explaining to what he assumes is dim-witted Sam that MIT is a school in Massachusetts!

YES YES, RoseT – all about assumptions; nice observation. And passed-out-on-the-pool-table barfly Ash is a genius. Love that it shows there are ALL KINDS of “genius” in this world!

Loved some “real” touches like Sam burning his hand on the hot steam as the tries to break the brass tube off the calliope.

Also loved (and could watch it on an endless loop) Dean rushing to sit in the “normal” chair in the office of the carnival runner and making Sam sit in the carved clown chair; and Sam looking so very uncomfortable doing it. Just perfect acting. I also really liked that their faces are still beaten up from the car crash and previous episode. I did not like the later episodes when Cas could magically heal them; I liked that early consistency; that reminder that they had really got through some rough physical stuff!

When they ditch Bobby’s van and start walking – 1. that’s also one of the most gorgeous sequences ever shot on the show; them walking down the road with fields on each side and the various camera angles, and 2. I love it when Dean just drops the act and gets in Sam’s face about how it’s ironic to him that suddenly Sam’s putting their dad on a pedestal and it IS too little too late. It might be harsh and I might not totally agree (I do sympathize with Sam’s touch relationship with John), but it’s a GREAT scene and I love Jensen just letting loose on him!

I do love that Jo has a shotgun trained on them the first time we see her! I didn’t like her becoming more of a “fawning over Dean” type later…in that H.H. Holmes episode…but here I liked her. I do wish they had KEPT Ellen and Jo and Bobby for the entire run – recurring like Sheriff Mills.

Sam looks better when he loses the bangs!

This was a really great one for me.

Reply | Quote
              • PigNaPoke
                  June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8417

Hi All,

WELCOME Rosethornshurt!

VERY GOOD point about the assumptions! I never thought about it that way! But it’s a theme that pops back up in BLOODLUST for sure! The need to diversify one’s thinking! Not see just dark and light.

PNP

Reply | Quote
                • PigNaPoke
                    June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8418

Also loved (and could watch it on an endless loop) Dean rushing to sit in the “normal” chair in the office of the carnival runner and making Sam sit in the carved clown chair; and Sam looking so very uncomfortable doing it. Just perfect acting. I also really liked that their faces are still beaten up from the car crash and previous episode. I did not like the later episodes when Cas could magically heal them; I liked that early consistency; that reminder that they had really got through some rough physical stuff!

YES! I always forget about that scene and laugh at it each time I watch this episode!

I also love the fact that with the reveal of the Road House and a community of hunters we get yet another new view of John’s upbringing of the boys! We already heard from Bobby that John wasn’t the easiest to get along with and now we hear/see it again that John really was a loner and kept the boys isolated from the hunter community at large. I always wished that we would have found out why! Was John somehow still hoping that this was all temporary and he would eventually get away from the hunter life and therefore didn’t want the boys to associate too much with the community of “outlaws”?

PNP

Reply | Quote
                  • kate38
                      June 4, 2021 at 11:33 am #8449

“Shambala” is on my iPod because of this episode! Love me some grease-monkey Dean <3 <3!

Question -- there aren't many phone booths left, and the one we see when the brothers pull up to the Roadhouse for the first time looks a LOT like the one we see in Lazarus Rising when Dean calls Bobby. Theories?

Ashe is adorable! I miss him so much.

I love how much emotion they packed into this episode. It could easily have become clunky and melodramatic, but it didn't. I appreciate that.

kate

Reply | Quote
                  Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Everybody Loves a Clown (S2 E2)

Your information:

Cancel