Let’s all talk about Salvation (S1 E21)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Salvation (S1 E21)

• Author
        April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #7444

More Winchester Family Hunting! I love it.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #7595

OK – I am still baffled why demons have no issues with hallowed ground, but ghost do? hahah.

Maybe it’s because demons are riding a person’s body? So the body is what is physically in contact with the hallowed ground?

But then why DOES holy WATER work?

PNP

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by PigNaPokePigNaPoke.
          Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #8374

“OK – I am still baffled why demons have no issues with hallowed ground, but ghost do? hahah.”

LOL! If it makes you feel any better, ghosts don’t have a problem with holy ground after that one episode in season 1. In “Houses of the Holy”, the ghost of a dead priest has no problem appearing in a church — once when summoned (which I guess can be excused because he was summoned) and once when Dean and Sam come to the church to investigate a case. And many seasons later, in “Paint it Black”, the ghost of a dead nun haunts a church and kills people there. I’d chalk that holy ground thing up to season 1 plot inconsistency, and the show trying to get its legs under itself.

And speaking of glitches, demons can teleport. So, instead of trying to walk through holy water, why didn’t Meg and her brother just teleport around it? Is this a plot-armor moment?

kate

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by kate38kate38.
              Reply | Quote
          • PigNaPoke
              April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #7597

LOVE the opening family scene! Dad catching up the boys on all he knows and found out. LOVE that. Finally open family discussion.

But assuming, kate38, you are right….is John lying here or just not telling the entire truth, if he knows about Azazael’s plan for Sam? Wouldn’t he maybe told Dean here already? Taken him to the side and given him the 411? (I know, it’s better story telling the other way…) John also really seems clueless when Pastor Jim gets killed and the boys ask him if he thinks it was THE demon. Is John that good of a actor? (JDM sure is!)

In that scene I love that John actually ASKS Sam if he has any better ideas than to check ALL six-months old babies in Salvation and Sam answers respectfully “No, Sir.” To me that always reads as it’s all Sam wants to be included in decision making and now that he gets that he is happy to defer back to John and respect him.
              I know – COMPLICATED family dynamic, but I LOVE that part so much. That’s what makes them all such interesting, layered characters.

HEHEHE – love the little “Dean moment” at the hospital admin desk where the pretty brunette desk person asks him if she can help and he goes “Oh God yes…only, I’m working right now.” Such a flirt. And SO GORGEOUS.

The VISION conversation is AWESOME between the Winchesters! LOVE Dean’s reaction to John’s scolding!!! Right on, Dean! John definitely is surprised about the visions, so IF he knew about Azazael’s plan….he definitely didn’t know about THAT part.
              Also it’s a huge turn around for John here from “let’s not work together because the demon is too dangerous” to “here’s the gun, go kill it yourself.”!!!???

(GAWDY, yet DRAB brown motel room in this one. Hahaha.)
              THAT raised railroad track is probably my all time favorite scenic background on the show!!!! Glad they used it again after!
              I never understood why Azazael was still “collecting” kids at that point? Second generation? In case Sam’s gen didn’t pan out?
              I really like the BM scene in the car where Sam thanks Dean for all his support and all Dean gets from it is the implied “goodbye” just in case. It’s funny and heartbreaking. Dean thinking that he could lose BOTH of this family members in one night and NOT having it. So very “Dean”! And then NOT letting Sam run back into the building!
              Question: Sam SAW in his vision that the clock in Rosie’s room stops at 9:45 PM…..shouldn’t that have been a pretty easy way to know exactly when to bust into the house? LOL. Instead they are sitting for hours in the car in front of the house?

And, GODS, that final scene between Sam and Dean RIPS my heart out every time. The little change from “all we have” to “all I have” when Dean talks about the family is so important at that moment and SO SAD! It clearly speaks of him not trusting yet that Sam will stay. Sniff.

Very good episode and great build up to the finale.

Watching these three last episodes of season 1 in one go is a real treat as it created SUCH thick tapestry of material for all of the following 14 seasons. It always amazes me that we got so little actual screen time from John but the little we got made him into such monumental and touchstone element of the show!!! They were certainly magic together! I am still grateful that we had this at all.

PNP

Reply | Quote
            • journalbookbinder
                April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #7797

I REALLY liked how we got to see some of smart legendary hunter John Winchester is with the holy water in the factory’s cooling (?) system.

THAT SHOT!!! That shot of the rosary floating down as if it was shot from the bottom of the freakin’ tank is SO GORGEOUS. The cinematography in this show still makes me gasp sometimes.

Pretty terrifying that John left Sam and Dean to go after the demon.

And was that the last we saw of original Meg? She left such an impression on me that I could swear that wasn’t the end of her. She did that great; the whole exorcism scene. Also enjoyed Sam and Dean LEARNING – they didn’t do enough of that in later years! I loved it when they didn’t know everything and Bobby had to inform them that there is a human inside those possessed bodies and therefore you really are killing someone. Things start to get even more “gray area”.

I cannot say enough how much I love this screwed-up family dynamic between the three of them!

Dean; yes, totally beautiful here and loved him flirting with the hospital desk lady.

That raised railroad trestle is ALSO MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SPN place!!!!!

PNP: good point on Sam seeing the clock in his vision. Maybe he didn’t want to trust it 100% or take any chances they’d miss it.

That speech in the car breaks my heart when Dean realizes what Sam’s doing! I love his total rejection of any kind of goodbye.

PNP: I also agree on John. Can’t believe we had so little of him in the overall number of episodes on the show and yet he’s this complete character that I feel I really KNOW. JDM is quite a master.

Reply | Quote
                • kate38
                    April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #8391

“I REALLY liked how we got to see some of smart legendary hunter John Winchester is with the holy water in the factory’s cooling (?) system.

THAT SHOT!!! That shot of the rosary floating down as if it was shot from the bottom of the freakin’ tank is SO GORGEOUS. The cinematography in this show still makes me gasp sometimes.”

Yes, that was a cool scene! And I do love when the writers show us how intelligent Dean and John are!

kate

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by kate38kate38.
                    Reply | Quote
                  • kate38
                      April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #8397

“And was that the last we saw of original Meg? She left such an impression on me that I could swear that wasn’t the end of her. She did that great; the whole exorcism scene…”

YES! Mikki Aycox was fabulous in that scene! We see her once more, in “Are you there god? It’s me, Dean Winchester”. Only, she’s not a demon anymore. She’s just a pissed off, vengeful-spirit Meg Masters who is angry with the Winchesters for not being able to save her.

kate

Reply | Quote
                  • kate38
                      April 26, 2021 at 10:22 am #8390

As much as I LOVE Rachel Miner as Meg, Nikki Aycox is wonderful! She’s SO easy to hate!!

I wish we’d gotten to see more of Pastor Jim before he died. A priest who’s a hunter could’ve been an interesting character. And John seemed really broken up by his murder. John must have trusted and respected him a lot, since we know John left the boys with him when they were little.

Maybe a bad edit, but did you guys notice that when John pulls off to the side of the road (upon learning that Pastor Jim is dead), Sam is on his cell phone when he gets out of the car, but the episode never makes reference to who Sam is talking to. I wonder if Jared was on his phone, or if Sam was 🙂

Speaking of that roadside scene, I like how John hip-checks Sam when Sam questions John’s plan. I know, I know…

Did you guys recognize the nurse Dean flirted with? She was Veritas in season 6 “You Can’t Handle the Truth”. And little Rosie’s mother was Dean’s former guitar teacher in “Bad Boys” :).

I’ve often wondered how much John knew about Azazel’s plan, and when. In “In My Time of Dying”, John tells Azazel that he’s known about the demon’s plan “for a while”, and there isn’t much time between this episode and that one for John to learn very much. So, either John was lying, or he knew a lot about the demon’s plan and chose not to share that with the boys.

The scene when John hears Caleb dying and decides to try to trick Meg is so telling. His exhaustion and despair are palpable. He misses Mary so much and just wants all the suffering and fear to be over for all of them. My heart broke for him. And in that scene at the trestle bridge, Dean is so desperate to not Lose John. My heart broke for both of them.

kate

Reply | Quote
                  Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Salvation (S1 E21)

Your information:

Cancel