Let’s all talk about Sex and Violence (S4 E14)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Sex and Violence (S4 E14)

• Author
        July 16, 2022 at 10:53 pm #14612

This episode is very likely in my top 10 of all SPN episodes. I freaking LOVE IT!

I currently watch Jim Parrack on 911 Lone Star as a quintessential Texas good ‘ole boy (but a liberal) firefighter. He’s great there and I first saw him here where I though the was one of the best guest actors Supernatural ever put into a role; perfect casting as the male version of the siren.

I love the misdirects. I was watching it with someone else seeing it for the first time and she thought the siren was the Dr. too and she can usually see “who did it” in shows right from the start. I love that Sam got to have a little sex (though oddly at the end he acts like it was barely worth mentioning later; I hope it was at least fun!). The humor in Dean’s excitement about getting to work a case with STRIPPERS (“Finally,” as he says!) – the enjoyment Dean has in finding a friend (he thinks) just when his mistrust and resentment at Sam is growing. The new friend likes his car, knows classic rock, it was great.

There are many great moments leading to the fight at the end (loved it when they thought an ACTUAL FBI agent showed up and how they covered for that with Bobby as their “director in D.C.”!), Dean bonding with the “agent”, the great makeup on the siren in the mirror, but the FIGHT…one of the first times in the show when the truth comes out under the influence of a monster and it’s PAINFUL. And so so so so good. And the siren watching the whole thing slightly like he’s getting off on it; Jim Parrack just gave that character so many great characteristics! Dean doesn’t trust Sam, thinks he’s changed. Sam thinks Dean is not as strong or smart as he is and that he’s holding him back. OUCH! Dean gives Sam the “you’re dead to me” look and they really would have fought to the death with the encouragement of the siren. It is kind of good to know that our heroes are not immune to the effects that monsters have on everyone else. Even KNOWING what they are facing, they can still get taken.

The moment in the Impala when Dean realizes (and the sired tells him) that he’s been poisoned…and the siren gets a bit seductive emotionally – trying to get into his head…it’s so good.

And I also love that Bobby saves the day. Love Dean’s eye roll at the end over missing the step of checking up on whether or not the new FBI guy was the real deal. So great that Bobby gives Sam and Dean sodas after the hunt and they question that and Bobby points out they shouldn’t have beer because they’re driving; like a parent would.

You know at the end they are NOT at all okay. In spite of what they say.

There is just something about this one that has always made it one of my favorites. I’m pretty sure it’s all the angst and the reveal of the true feelings Sam and Dean are having about each other at this point, which I believe was all true even if enhanced by the siren.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          July 16, 2022 at 10:53 pm #14626

VERY GOOD episode!

I love the monster story in this one. The classical Greek monster turned on its head in typical SPN fashion! Especially love that it is NOT all about girls seducing guys sexually but more about seducing with what one needs most in that moment!! And I love most of all that it is NOT about a girl for Dean when we know how much he appreciates the opposite sex AND is so excited to work a case with strippers!! I thought that was a very clever and totally unexpected twist!

I also enjoy the doubt we have about Cara sleeping with Sam and if he is now under the influence of a siren.

The monster itself was NICE and creepy when we get glimpses of it in the mirrors.

As telling and story driving as the fight between Sam and Dean is that part is what makes me always have a knot in my stomach when watching this episode!!! It is awful to watch and hear because their approach is so very different.
          Dean is expressing his displeasure are being lied to and basically says that it’s not the demon blood or the psychic abilities that make him worried but the little things showing that the old Sam is gone. That reads to me as “man, just be honest with me and I forgive you and we work through this”.
          But Sam attacks Dean’s ability to handle himself, calls him weak and winy and calls himself smarter and stronger. THAT HURTS!
          We KNOW that what Dean says here IS the truth, not some forced confession. He is really worried about these things and he isn’t calling Sam names or belittling him.
          So then I have to assume Sam also means what he says, that this is HIS truth at this moment. It might be influenced by Ruby’s whisperings and his addiction to the demon blood, but these are his inner most thoughts.
          All that really made me uncomfortable and worried for their future as a team.
          And even now, knowing where it goes, it is hard to watch. (If brilliantly acted).

On the rest, I totally agree with you. LOVE Bobby’s parts in this episode. And Jim Parrack is doing a great job in this role.

PNP

Reply | Quote
      Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Sex and Violence (S4 E14)

Your information:

Cancel