Let’s all talk about Simon Said (S2 E5)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Simon Said (S2 E5)

• Author
        June 28, 2021 at 10:02 am #8456

Andy Gallagher! Love Andy and Gabriel Tigerman who played him. Love this one, can’t wait to watch it.

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          June 28, 2021 at 10:02 am #8510

I remembered this one as very good and that memory was correct.

Sam’s premonitions are getting more frequent, more confusing, and more painful for him. I could almost feel the frustration as the time between his visions and the actual events in them that he wanted to prevent got shorter and shorter with less time to do anything about them before they happened. The deaths he envisioned were all disturbing. Shootings. Walking in front of a bus. Self-immolation. Jumping to one’s death…

I felt for Sam and Dean trying to figure it all out. The immediate desire to save lives, AND the larger picture about how the yellow-eyed demon was involved and what the “plan” might be for these “special” children.

Andy. Love Andy. He took his special power of mind control and used it mostly just for fun for himself; to dodge bill collectors and take the Impala for a joyride. What a great character. The van and the bong and his very intellectual reading material were all inspired. I loved the humor in this one. One of the best scenes was Andy forcing Dean to “tell the truth” about why they were following him. What I love so much here is that it’s not like zombie mind-control…Dean KNOWS he shouldn’t be saying these things…he does not want to be saying them, but he’s saying them anyway. I LOVED the end of that scene where Dean just puts his head down in frustration at not being able to keep his mouth shut.

It’s also such a great reveal that Andy’s tactics don’t work on Sam.

Very sweet that Andy never used his mind control on the woman he cared about.

Then the “evil twin” Anson was very good and creepy. That scene with Andy’s girlfriend was especially effective; as Anson planned to rape her before he had her jump to her death. The way she was crying while taking her clothes off for him; but she couldn’t stop or make her own choice was heartbreaking.

The climactic scene where Anson gets wind of Dean training the sniper rifle on him and forces Dean to put the rifle under his own chin; gives me chills every time to watch Dean do that.

In the end, poor Andy’s fun innocence is lost when HE has to kill his twin brother.

The whole tale is complex and good. Great minor actors (even Andy’s birth mom setting herself on fire) and Dean’s reveal that he’s actually pretty worried about whether or not Sam will “turn” is just phenomenal. It’s a great “case of the week” AND it furthers the overall arc.

I really enjoyed watching it again!

Reply | Quote
        • PigNaPoke
            June 28, 2021 at 10:02 am #8527

Yup. You pretty much said all the things I loved about this one, too.

You really feel an urgency in this episode, too.

Dean feeling helpless to do something for Sam when he’s in pain like that.

Sam getting more anxious about what it all means and why it’s happening.

I also love Andy and how he is using his gift of mind control JUST to get by. He’s not amassing wealth or trying to hurt people with it. He’s not trying to life a grand life. He just wants to live comfortably, read Nietzsche and smoke a giant bong in his tricked out van. That is both adorable and hilarious to me. Live and let live.
            And I love the way Dean looks almost envious of that for a moment, when they find the van, showing again that he, too, doesn’t expect much from live but would love to have a little low down fun every once in a while. Appreciating the little things….hahaha.

All Andy’s benevolent use of his powers makes the evil twin so much more effective. The idea of being forced to do something against your will and being in fully aware of it at the same time is terrifying to me. The way Anson is forcing his will on Andy’s girlfriend making her powerless but still compliant was a very creepy and almost worse than if she would have been physically raped. NOT that I want take any horror out of physical rape what’s so ever!!!! But with the mental abuse/rape she couldn’t even TRY to fight back. Both Andy and Anson weren’t physically imposing, so she probably had a fair chance to fight her way out of the situation, but that option was taken away from her and THAT made it the worst for me. SUPER creepy.

Although heartbreaking for Andy, I do appreciate a lot that the girlfriend couldn’t trust him after he, too, used his powers on her, even if it was to save her. A “happy ending” would have been so wrong here.

As with many interesting characters over the years, I wish they would have used Andy in another episode somehow before AHBL 1. I would have loved to know how he was coping, making use of his powers, maybe for good.

But all in all a really good episode.

PNP

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              June 28, 2021 at 10:02 am #9138

The main thing I liked about this episode is that it went a long way toward putting the psychic kids’ abilities into perspective. It started to feel like most of these psychics were truly dangerous and that Sam’s “gift” was an exception. Poor Dean – trying so hard to protect and reassure Sam, when he himself had so many doubts.

Ashe is adorable! “Guess I’ll need my pants.” LOL!

I don’t like Andy. I don’t like that he probably mind-controlled that attractive blonde into sleeping with him. And I don’t like that he chose to quit his job, default on all his bills and live in a dorky van. To me, he seemed like a loser who used his abilities to take advantage of people and skip out on life. He also Jedi-mind-tricked Dean into giving up the Impala. That alone is unforgivable!

Possible plot hole? Mary’s deal is what brought Azazel into Sam’s nursey 10 years later. So, the other psychic kids also had mothers who made deals, right? In this episode, the woman who burned herself alive was Andy’s mother and Anson’s mother. But the records Sam found said that Andy’s adopted “family” had a nursery fire when Andy was 6 months old, but Anson’s adopted family didn’t have a fire. They had the same mother before they were adopted to different families, so she’s the one who would’ve made the deal, right? If so, the fire shouldn’t have happened at Andy’s adopted family’s house, because that family never made a deal. Later, we meet Ava Wilson, whose mother never died and who never had a nursery fire. Maybe those mothers (Ava’s mother and Anson’s mother) didn’t interfere when Azazel showed up, so there was no fire and they didn’t die? But that still doesn’t explain Azazel showing up at Andy’s house when his adopted family never made a deal.

kate

Reply | Quote
          Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Simon Said (S2 E5)

Your information:

Cancel