Let’s all talk about The Curious Case of Dean Winchester (S5 E7)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Curious Case of Dean Winchester (S5 E7)

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 day, 10 hours ago by 🔄 Transaction 43 005 $. GЕТ => https://telegra.ph/BTC-Transaction–146479-03-14?hs=fe1c6e2dcc6d5c2d6ffe25f80c0c1b37& 🔄.
  • Author
        December 27, 2022 at 9:00 pm #35216

I do love this one. Great premise and great guest cast.

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          December 27, 2022 at 9:00 pm #35227

Patrick the ancient witch was great casting here. So good. I really wanted to watch him every second he was on.

I loved this story. Playing poker for years of your life. Such high stakes. Bobby wanted to play to turn back time so he could walk but he lost…and aged…then Dean won Bobby’s years back but lost a bunch of his own…then Sam won his back.

Along the way, we hear how Bobby has really been feeling and it’s heartbreaking! I loved the speech Dean made to Bobby at the end about how much he is needed. Bobby looked uncertain at the very end, but he promised Dean he’d stick around.

I liked the compelling girlfriend to Patrick too!  The dilemma of living forever; of outliving those you love and your children…then just wanting it to end instead of enduring more loss. She was compelling.

Chad Everett who played old Dean died in 2012 at the age of 75 (so he was 73 when he played old Dean). I remember when he died and I was sad about it because I thought he did a great job here. One of my favorite Supernatural moments is when “old Dean” is trying to crack the safe but he can’t see clearly and Sam says it’s like “Mission Pathetic”. Loved that.

Loved that Sam won at poker by “playing the other person”. He’s slowly also showing US he’s not the little brother anymore.

Just a really excellent episode all-around. A great stand-alone, even with far too little Jensen. I give Jared huge credit for acting with a guest actor JUST LIKE he acts with Jensen.

Funny when old Dean tried to pickup the hotel worker and she just said he was so cute like her grandpa.

Reply | Quote
        • PigNaPoke
            PigNaPoke
            December 27, 2022 at 9:00 pm #35380

Another GOOD one.  A quite multifaceted look at old age and what we are willing to do or not do with or against it.

WITCHES…hehe. No wonder that Dean despises them. I do enjoy that the many different witches we had on the show over the years all operate differently and for different reasons. And this case with the exchange of life force through Magic Poker was a nice new idea.

I also appreciate the idea that these witches are not just straight up evil but there is a strange moral code to what Patrick does. The game isn’t rigged. There is a fair chance of winning, as much as gambling is ever fair. It’s an odd gray area but makes it hard to simply condemn them.

Of course, I LOVE all of the snappy dialogue in this episode. Bobby and Old Dean grumping at each other is wonderful. However, there is also a lot of heart and real emotion in it.

Bobby’s desperation about his own situation and how he’s no longer useful, is truly heart-breaking. And the resulting conversation at the end with Dean and Bobby is so incredibly deep and real it makes my insides squirm. Before Bobby breaks the tension with his awesome line about “growing lady parts” that is. Just the perfect balance (again) and watching them together is magic!

Dean and the Busty Asian Beauties…hahaha. Funny how he can’t keep from flirting with the prostitutes and then again with the maid….just that one doesn’t go so well. HAHA.

How DID Bobby get to town, btw?? He picks up car keys….but he’s in a wheelchair… Is the van wheelchair ready? Maybe I missed that.

Dean’s NOT loving the preview at old age is too funny. WHO WOULD…? Interesting that it doesn’t really change his behavior afterwards, though. It’s not like he’s turning into a vegetarian after this episode.

Do we know if the older actor studied a few episodes to really nail Dean’s maneurisms? Either way, he’s doing a bang-up job.

I really like that SAM is the one basically saving Dean’s life and the day with his poker prowess….especially because that’s probably something he learned FROM Dean! Poor Jared is sweating by the end of the poker game, though.

Wouldn’t the reversal of the spell also kill Patrick? Or was he always keeping everything is such balance that he’s more or less immortal?

Good one!

Reply | Quote
        Reply To:

Let’s all talk about The Curious Case of Dean Winchester (S5 E7)

Your information:

Cancel