Let’s all talk about The Magnificent Seven (S3 E1)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Magnificent Seven (S3 E1)

• Author
        November 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #10813

Just about a year since the Supernatural finale (how can Walker already be airing its second season only one year later???) and we are ready to embark on the rewatch of Season Three; starting with The Magnificent Seven. We meet Ruby (I loved this Ruby best for her snark). Oh…Ruby…where she’s going to lead Sam is NOT GOOD! But we also meet a hunting husband and wife for the first time. I remember this one to be extra gory. Bring it!

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          November 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #10835

Having the first case of Season 3 involve the Seven Deadly Sins is really intriguing. After having opened Hell and letting out all kinds of nasties, this sets up the higher stakes of what they might be up against nicely. So far we thought Azazel was as bad as it got…..NOW….we get a glimpse of all kinds of new possibilities for evil. It’s interesting and scary.

If Bobby is being scared….I sure as hell am worried FOR them all. (“What’s in the box?” HAHAHA. LOVE “Seven”)

GREAT fight in the bar with Bobby driving his car through the wall.

I also applaud SPN yet again for hiring great guest actors. Isaac and Tamara are portrayed excellently and the actor playing Envy is very good as well. I especially love Tamara and find it sad that she never should up again.

Very good introduction of a new character in Ruby – lurking on the edges and then seemingly coming in to save them – AND the knife! I love that the knife is one of the few things that stayed important and useful all the way through the next 13 seasons.

I remember the first time I watched this episode that I was PISSED with Dean for seemingly throwing himself to the dogs ahead of schedule. But that part of the episode’s story totally flipped on me once I started rewatching seasons.

Now I love the seemingly carefree attitude Dean displays here at the beginning. Just living it up and “not sweating the cholesterol”. Even milking the fact that he only has a year every chance he gets. It’s fun to see him cocky and having fun, even though, we (and he) know what’s looming.

He starts out having well deserved fun but we soon see the deeper fear in Dean. I don’t think he ever regrets the deal he made for Sam, but I do love that he admits later down the road that he really doesn’t want to die.

As a whole I always liked the urgency Season 3 had because of its limited episodes – due to the writers strike! I think it really helped drive home the desperation of trying to find a way out of Dean’s deal.

I LOVE that Sam voices his frustration and Dean tells the truth at the end of the episode and he doesn’t hide the fact that he was told there is no way out of the deal that doesn’t involve Sam dying. But it’s so heartbreaking that he is ok with dying because he claims he’s tired and done enough for the family. UGH. And there is a strange innocence in him being ok with going to hell as long as Sam lives….obviously neither of them has a real concept of hell yet. Maybe seeing John getting out of hell gave a wrong impression of it being “just a place” you go after dying?

Good season start!

Sam’s hair is STUPID!

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              November 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #10949

“I also applaud SPN yet again for hiring great guest actors. Isaac and Tamara are portrayed excellently and the actor playing Envy is very good as well. I especially love Tamara and find it sad that she never should up again.”

Absolutely, PNP!! I thought Tamara was a very interesting character and I would’ve loved seeing more of her! It’s a shame we never got to. I go into more detail in my comments on this episode, but if Supernatural had spent more time developing smart, likable (albeit adult) women characters like Tamara and Pamela, I think it would’ve served the show well. Instead, they tried to develop younger female characters to attract a younger audience and they missed the mark (at least for me) with many of them. But then again, I’m not a 15 year old, so I’m clearly the wrong target market.

Maybe this belongs in another discussion thread, but early on (and arguably until season 7 or 8), Supernatural introduced some amazing older/adult characters like Bobby, Rufus, Crowley, Rowena, Frank, Benny, Pamela, Ellen, Jody, and yes — Tamara. But it feels like later on, most of the newer characters were younger and less compelling. The story emphasis also seemed to turn away from it’s roots and more toward trendier motifs — also aimed at a younger audience. I initially felt a real connection to this show. The story lines were smart, entertaining, and made a lot of sense to me. But by the end it had started to feel like it wasn’t the show for me anymore. Kinda’ sad when I think about it…

kate

Reply | Quote
            • kate38
                November 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #10950

“I remember the first time I watched this episode that I was PISSED with Dean for seemingly throwing himself to the dogs ahead of schedule. But that part of the episode’s story totally flipped on me once I started rewatching seasons.

Now I love the seemingly carefree attitude Dean displays here at the beginning. Just living it up and “not sweating the cholesterol”. Even milking the fact that he only has a year every chance he gets. It’s fun to see him cocky and having fun, even though, we (and he) know what’s looming.

He starts out having well deserved fun but we soon see the deeper fear in Dean. I don’t think he ever regrets the deal he made for Sam, but I do love that he admits later down the road that he really doesn’t want to die.”

Hiya, PNP 🙂

I always appreciate how our takes are sometimes so different!

When I initially saw Dean’s behavior at the beginning of season 3, I was reminded of his behavior in season 2 after John died. In season 2, Dean was overcompensating because he was struggling to keep his “game face” on for Sam. He hid his guilt, fear, and other negative emotions behind a façade. He didn’t actually vocalize that until that conversation with Gordon. To me, Dean’s cavalier attitude in the first few episodes of season 3 seemed to be the same thing. It saddened me. I’m glad the writers didn’t wait too many more episodes to start peeling the layers off of Dean’s true emotions.

I don’t think Dean regretted saving Sam, but I question whether he regretted the deal he had to make to do it. Maybe he never thought it through all the way until season 3? Or maybe somehow he thought he’d be able to figure a way out? I think when Dean confronts himself in “Dream a little dream of me” we see that one part of Dean was so full of self-loathing and guilt that going to hell seemed worth the price if it meant saving Sam, but the other part of Dean believed that he didn’t deserve to go to hell. I thought it was interesting watching that internal conflict play out as season 3 unfolded.

kate

Reply | Quote
              • kate38
                  November 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #10951

“Sam’s hair is STUPID!”

LOL! Yes indeed it is!!

Reply | Quote
              • kate38
                  November 4, 2021 at 10:22 am #10948

Ahhh…Season 3. Don’t get me wrong. Season 3 is very well done – well acted, written, directed, etc. But every single episode – every one – reminds us in some way that Dean is going to die. That puts a funereal pall on the entire season for me, which makes it one of my least favorites. Fortunately, it’s a short season…

I like the idea of the seven deadly sins being seven actual demonic entities. That was a creative take on the concept. Since a few hundred demons presumably escaped, it would’ve been fun to see some other ancient big bads.

Question: Supposedly, only five days had passed between the opening of the devil’s gate and when Dean, Sam, and Bobby found the dead/mummified family that died on their sofa due to sloth. It takes more than five days for a dead body to mummify, though – even in extreme desert heat. This family was found in Nebraska. What’s up with that?

Fun trivia: When Bobby and the boys found the dead family, “Dallas” was playing on the television. Was that a little shout out to Jim Beaver’s brief role on “Dallas”?

I really like Katie Cassidy as Ruby! Sorry to you Genevieve fans out there, but Katie is a much better actress, IMO, and she brings mystery and menace to Ruby that’s lacking in season 4. To me, Gen’s manipulation and obvious seduction seemed more transparent. I clearly didn’t trust her and I didn’t want to. When Katie was Ruby, I found myself wanting to believe her, even though I was pretty sure she was lying. That was also a cool knife fight scene in this episode, and in “Malleus Maleficarum”, there’s another good fight/action scene between Ruby and another demon. That fight is also well choreographed. I don’t remember being impressed with any of the Ruby action scenes in season 4. Aside from the obvious benefit that Jared met his future wife, I kinda’ wish they’d kept Katie Cassidy in that role.

Speaking of good characters and actresses, I don’t think Tamara gets the respect and recognition she deserves. I can’t IMAGINE the horror of watching my husband drink drain cleaner and being unable to help him while he dies on the floor! Tamara’s torture was even worse when Isaac (or rather, the demon inhabiting his corpse) showed up at the house, screaming for Tamara’s help. How horrific is that?!!? I liked Tamara as a character and am disappointed that we never saw or heard from her again. The show brought back so many other (silly) characters, like the Ghostfacers, but we couldn’t get a single episode around Tamara? Sorry Wayward Sisters fans, but if the spinoff had included characters like Tamara, Tara (from “First Born”), Pamela, and Ellen instead of Claire and company, I would have been more likely to watch it. I’ve criticized the show many times for not writing young women characters well. Instead of coming across as smart and interesting, I find them bratty, stupid, and monochromatic. In contrast, these writers have given us some amazing adult women characters, like Jody, Donna, Pamela, Ellen, and yes — Tamara and Tara. The problem is we don’t see enough of most of these women. I think that’s a real shame and a missed opportunity.

kate

Reply | Quote
              Reply To:

Let’s all talk about The Magnificent Seven (S3 E1)

Your information:

Cancel