Let’s all talk about The Usual Suspects (S2 E7)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Usual Suspects (S2 E7)

• Author
        July 12, 2021 at 12:37 pm #8794

I remember thinking it was VERY cool that they got original Exorcist child Linda Blair to guest, and I thought her acting was…okay, but I didn’t care because it was cool. I’m looking forward to watching again!

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          July 12, 2021 at 12:37 pm #8927

Okay; yes, it was cool that they GOT Linda Blair (and funny Exorcist reference by Dean at the end with the pea soup reference and the “does she look familiar to you?”), BUT she was not very good here. OVERACTED from start to finish. Her only expression of shock or surprise was an open mouth which she did ALL THE TIME. My spouse, who had never seen this one, guessed the “bad guy” first time he showed up to question Dean. So Linda Blair fell VERY flat for me here.

I DID like that the person with the romance with her co-worker/partner (though he was the bad guy) was NOT 21! I love seeing older women in romantic scenes.

I really liked the addition to the lore here. I liked that the very scary-looking spirit was not killing people; was actually trying to save them by taking out the bad people and warning the good. That was a nice change. Adds more to the “gray area” of what’s good and what’s bad.

I always like to watch Sam and Dean getting out of a sticky situation. Love Dean’s outward smartassery but when no one (but the viewer) is looking you can see how freaked he is. Like being a smartass when the bad guy was clearly driving him out into the country to kill him; but we can see he knows exactly where this is going.

Not very realistic that the cops talk and talk and talk while threatening to shoot each other or Sam and Dean. Also they did make Linda Blair’s character look kind of dumb as a detective; having to make Sam seem smarter. Sam does know more about what they are tracking, but they made her look a bit too dumb as a cop to be believable.

I did love the Sam and Dean dynamic here. Even when apart. The code words in the notes; they are joy to watch together and when they are working together.

I also really enjoyed the “what Sam was telling the cops vs. reality” where he was saying they were just comforting the widow, an old friend (and later the publicist in Monster at the End of This Book!), and then they flashed back to what they were REALLY doing; lying and breaking and entering. Really showed what a masterful liar Sam is with the police; he looked SO sincere lying through his teeth!

And Dean just decided to tell the truth! I wonder why. Nothing left to lose? Of course it worked when the detective started seeing the spirit.

A pretty good one.

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              July 12, 2021 at 12:37 pm #9221

“Okay; yes, it was cool that they GOT Linda Blair (and funny Exorcist reference by Dean at the end with the pea soup reference and the “does she look familiar to you?”), BUT she was not very good here. OVERACTED from start to finish. Her only expression of shock or surprise was an open mouth which she did ALL THE TIME. My spouse, who had never seen this one, guessed the “bad guy” first time he showed up to question Dean. So Linda Blair fell VERY flat for me here.”

Hiya, JBB 🙂
              I actually thought Linda Blair did a decent job here. I thought she made a convincing cop when she was interrogating Sam at the station. She had ZERO chemistry with the cop she supposedly was having an affair with, though. That part did leave me flat. Somewhere else in this thread, it’s mentioned that the writers dumbed her down to make Sam look smarter and in control. It felt that way to me, too.

kate

Reply | Quote
          • PigNaPoke
              July 12, 2021 at 12:37 pm #8945

Hi JBB!

I totally agree with you on all above.

The episode was enjoyable, but by no means stellar.

Some of my favorite parts were the communication between the brothers when apart. We learn a lot about their dynamic and “security system” in this one and that was FUN.

LOVE cocky Dean!! Damn that boyish smile and devil-may-care demeanor. Makes me want to smack him upside the head AND kiss him. HA! Sorry.

Didn’t really care for Linda Blair either, but I am sure it was a thrill for them all to get her as guest star. My favorite scenes with her were the ones with Sam at the hotel.

What strikes me this time around watching the series as a whole is that I never really noticed how many episodes the “monster” is actually not the evil doer….how often the “monster” is a plain old human asshole.

I thought the make up and special effects on the death omen / victim were really well done and appropriately gory.

Sam was definitely the focal point in this one and I thought Jared did a fine job making us see Sam’s resourcefulness and capability to solve a case more or less on his own.

I thought Dean told the truth partially because he knew no one would believe him and that might buy Sam some extra time to figure it out?

PNP

Reply | Quote
          Reply To:

Let’s all talk about The Usual Suspects (S2 E7)

Your information:

Cancel