Let’s all talk about The Winchesters – You’re Lost, Little Girl (S1 E3)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Winchesters – You’re Lost, Little Girl (S1 E3)

• This topic has 15 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 2 days ago by journalbookbinder.
  • Author
        October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22406

From the previews it looks like there’s something scary in a bag and John can’t resist looking!

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22463

Welllll….sigh. I am trying. I really am. This one started out more promising for me with a monster that looked scary at first…then it totally went off the rails.

I liked the start. The latchkey kids with mom as a trucker…not only white people; yay! The kids were charming and believable.

But there was so much I didn’t like.

The monster that started out promising and scary, ended up in the end, thanks to long looks at it in full light, like a guy in a mask.

The monster’s lair was HORRIBLE! It was a storage unit draped in fabric! I guess maybe it was SUPPOSED to look like a child’s fort full of lost stuff??? But it looked silly and cheap and not scary in the least. The storage unit doors were the nail in the coffin for me there. Why would a monster of Indian original live in a different-dimension-storage-unit? Because of all the lost stuff? I can reason why it was that maybe, but in the end it just looked horrible and cheap.

Mary. She is acting like she in a stage play or reading off a page. I KNOW she is supposed to be stand-off-ish, but I’m not feeling her natural acting ability here at all yet. Or very rarely.

John IS a natural. Drake is a natural. BUT, his sudden “I need her” desperation over Mary is WAY too soon! And we just found out he proposed to someone else before Vietnam? I really didn’t feel THAT at all either!

Lata has all the answers all the time and immediately. Okay, we learned she’s lying to everyone about her parents who seem to be alive. At least her mom is. But she knows EVERYTHING and they find out about the monsters way too fast and I just don’t feel any danger or urgency even when they want us to feel it.

Carlos was very much sidelined here. PigNaPoke pointed out to me that with such a large cast, trying to include everyone in every episode means some get the short end of the stick and it would be better if they were left out of an episode. That was Carlos here. Loved looking at him, but he had very little to do except make some sarcastic comments.

Ada WAS interesting. Her tendency to go a bit dark side is interesting. NOT a fan of trapping a demon in a TREE!!!! Come on!

The big stressful moment of Mary having an identity crisis via CB radio just fell flat for me. Meg didn’t sell it to me. I am not feeling the emotion from her.

And…more giant crab-dogs. And the big bad is disguised as the DJ and we are already finding that out? I am having a real problem with the “they’ll destroy our world”. I never would have EVER thought I’d accuse Robbie Thompson of lazy writing, but…that just sounds like a line from a comic book villain and is just so…overused that I don’t feel the threat from it.

I know it’s only the 3rd one. But I hate to say I’m having serious problems with it. Problems with the monsters. Problems with the big threat. Problems with the characters not pulling at me emotionally. Sam and Dean grabbed me from the very start. This feels like an after school special at times.

I want to like it. I want to LOVE it. So I hope this one was just a weak episode. But it’s not building for me the way I hoped it already would be.

Reply | Quote
            • kate38
              October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #23441

“Mary. She is acting like she in a stage play or reading off a page. I KNOW she is supposed to be stand-off-ish, but I’m not feeling her natural acting ability here at all yet. Or very rarely.

John IS a natural. Drake is a natural. BUT, his sudden “I need her” desperation over Mary is WAY too soon! And we just found out he proposed to someone else before Vietnam? I really didn’t feel THAT at all either!”

DEFINITELY agree with this, JBB. I’m trying to like Mary, but so far she’s falling flat for me. I don’t know if it’s the actress, the way the character is written, or both. Sigh…

kate

Reply | Quote
              • kate38
                October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #23457

Well said, JBB!

I really, really want this show to do well — for Jensen’s sake. But so far, no episode has been above a C minus. I want to give them time to unravel the story, but I hope they start moving things along because it’s starting to drag for me.

Yes, showing us the crab dogs (love that, by the way) is interesting, but please don’t take too long to tell us what they are. I’m glad they introduced the big bad, too.

I’m not quite sure how to say this, but so far the story feels “thin” and too much like a rehash of elements of Supernatural. I’m sure it’s a delicate ballet to include enough elements from Supernatural to connect the two shows, but NOT make them so similar that the Winchesters starts to feel like a cheap rehash.

I will keep hanging in there, but I hope this gets better soon.

kate

Reply | Quote
            • journalbookbinder
                October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22464

I did enjoy that the kids were not pushovers!

Reply | Quote
              • journalbookbinder
                  October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22465

Anyone else feel like there was a long commercial every three minutes?! It was horrible!

Reply | Quote
                • Stedan
                    October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22494

I agree pretty much with what journalbookbinder said.
                    For me that was the weakest episode so far. I liked the beginning, especially that they do in like in Supernatural, start with the case and then the the Winchesters intro. That give me Supernatural vibes.
                    The motw story was solid, but that`s about it.

I agree Johns desperation about loosing Mary, way too dramatic that early on in the show. I must say the John and Mary relationship is imo the weakest part of the whole storyline. That might be just me, but I find romantic relationships, especially if they happen so early in a story, a bit boring. But I guess that is a matter of taste.But what I think is a problem for all viewers, is the fact that we know what will happen. We know they will get together, we know nothing will happen to them. I think that is a problem.

It seems to me that they try to focus on the John and Mary relationship, like Supernatural did with Sam and Dean. But there is no comparison, for a number of reasons. What I thought was entertaining in the last episode, they all working together, their dynamic, was missing in this episode, especially Carlos.

I was glad that they finally found an explanation for Deanna not being around, but it didn’t really work for me. I got a different impression of her in original spn. I know that’s not very progressive, but I took her as someone who is to a certain degree in the hunter’s life, but more being supportive to her hunting family. I know we haven’t seen much of her, but she didn’t seem to me not as a person who separates and goes hunting by herself and not even checking in with her daughter. But I guess we will see where they are going with that.

What I did like and what gives me a bit hope for the upcoming episodes, was the ending. Didn’t this boy Mary was talking look a lot like John? I’m wondering if that is a coincidence, or if maybe someone or something is trying to mess a bit with John and Mary`s lovestory. I think a little twist would be interesting. So I keep watching and hope for the best. I really wish for the show to succeed.

Reply | Quote
                  • journalbookbinder
                      October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22520

Hi Stedan! Thanks for joining me this week! Seems maybe the episode was universally disliked? No one else is chiming in yet. Yes, I too thought the beginning was strong and I was really happy to see something more scary.

Jensen and those involved in the show keep talking about how Drake and Meg have such great chemistry, they have to keep telling them to dial it back. I am NOT seeing that, so I guess they are successfully “dialing it back”. I think I might enjoy it more when Mary is allowed to show more emotion. Maybe for John…I don’t know.

Maybe you are right that there is not “will they or won’t they” suspense…like, if we didn’t know what was going to happen – that they will end up together – we might be wondering if John will pursue her and Mary will reject him or something like that. But we know they end up together. I too have always enjoyed shows with intensely caring partners where it does not end up in a relationship (or goes through much of the show without ending up in one like X-Files). Here I hope they can somehow make it more unexpected or emotional or interesting if it’s going to be a relationship.

I agree that in the time-traveling episodes of SPN, Deanna was made out to be more of a traditional-appearing housewife. She was. Kind of chastising Samuel for being rude, etc…so to think of her as her own independent hunter that Samuel would feel okay NOT protecting…it’s odd to me. Fine and progressive to raise your daughter Mary that way, but I did not see that in the Deanna we know so far from SPN.

I too wondered if the guy who magically appeared at the movies was “just a guy” or something else. He DID look like John slightly.

I really liked the part with Ada. Probably my favorite part. Her dabbling in being kind of a misleading badass…lying to the demon (though the tree thing was weird for me)…and Carlos liking it. That scene was very short but might have been my favorite of the show.

Did Mary’s identity crisis ring true to you? It was the most emotional we’ve seen her and yet somehow it still felt to me like she was “performing” somehow! Am I just being overly-critical?

Reply | Quote
                        • kate38
                          October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #23446

“I must say the John and Mary relationship is imo the weakest part of the whole storyline. That might be just me, but I find romantic relationships, especially if they happen so early in a story, a bit boring. But I guess that is a matter of taste.But what I think is a problem for all viewers, is the fact that we know what will happen. We know they will get together, we know nothing will happen to them. I think that is a problem.”

Hi, Stedan –
                          I agree! I’m not getting much chemistry between John and Mary. I keep reminding myself that the Cupid said John and Mary didn’t like each other until he intervened, so maybe we’re not supposed to get a romantic vibe from them at this point? Also, it looks like they’re each preparing to date other people, so I’m sure the writers are trying to add some romantic tension there. I just hope it doesn’t get stupid.

kate

Reply | Quote
                      • Stedan
                          October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22526

I sometimes feel like I`m nitpicking all the time too. But it is just that I have so many questions that I hope will get answered by the end of the season.
                          Mary’s crisis came a bit by surprise for me too. But to be fair, I never really got Mary’s character, not even in Supernatural. It`s like there are different personalities of her. I liked her being more emotional in the last episode of the Winchesters, but it seemed a bit to much to be really credible.

I don`t really see that huge chemistry between John and Mary or better Meg and Drake either. But we are only in episode 3, maybe we expect to much, maybe that will grow. Maybe we are spoiled by Sam and Dean or better by Jared and Jensen.

I`m really looking forward to the next episode and hope for a twist. I think that would be good for the storyline.

I don`t know why, as it was quite a different situation, but the scene where Ada put the demon into the mini tree, reminded me a bit of Rowena and the hamster.

Reply | Quote
                            • Deb
                              October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22866

Hi guys! I agree with you both, wanting to love the show and am a long way from giving up, BUT. I don’t feel chemistry between John and Mary, but can see it with Carlos and Lata. Not romance, but they click. Drake is great I think, and I don’t know if I’m not seeing that in Meg, or if it the way in which Mary is written. Yes, monsters and some sets look cheap and amateur. New show budget to blame? I hope so. But Mary is coming across cold I think, even with her friends. Hoping an episode shows her in a better light soon. I also agree John’s sudden ‘can’t live without her’ attitude is too much too soon, especially as I can’t sense a spark between them. I’m hoping Mary actually starts dating cinema guy, maybe he’ll come up short compared to John and that will open her eyes? I think a slow burn is better, and maybe they are aiming for unrequited love on Johns side for the first season?

I would like to see An all hands on research deck situation too, maybe breaking into multiple libraries (shades of Bobby) time lapsed sort of scene. They can’t always have all the answers at hand in a book they just happen to have in the van!! Show us it took a week to work out, like SPN did at times. There would be bonding moments etc. anyway, hoping it picks up with a bigger budget, but I do love to nitpick, so glad this space is here!

Reply | Quote
                                • kate38
                                  October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #23450

Hi, Deb! Welcome to the fanwiki 🙂

Like you, I would also like to see this large cast actually defined put to work. To me, the writers aren’t spending enough time developing each character; so at this point they’re just a Scooby gang to me, without every person having real value. At least it feels that way to me. Lata is clearly the researcher; but like JBB said, I don’t want every problem to be solved because Lata had the right book. Ada seems to be the Rowena character — enough mastery of witchcraft to be valuable. Carlos seems to just be comic relief at this point; Mary is the bossy, annoying leader, and John is the “new guy”. Sigh…I’d like to see a good reason for having a steady cast this large.

kate

Reply | Quote
                              • kate38
                                  October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #23459

“I don`t know why, as it was quite a different situation, but the scene where Ada put the demon into the mini tree, reminded me a bit of Rowena and the hamster.”

Good point, Stedan! Or even like Jesse turning Castiel into an action figure 🙂

Reply | Quote
                                • Sandy
                                  October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22874

Hi. I am being about signing in because I can’t remember anything from when I did. Had an interesting chat with Bee about TW. She liked what I said about it being in its way. Prequels are very hard.

Reply | Quote
                                  • Stedan
                                      October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #22956

I agreeabout prequels being hard, especially if the timespan between the the prequel and the original story is so short and covers the same characters. If it would be a prequel about the history of the families, that would have been easier. Like the Campbells on the Mayflower or something like that. But this is difficult.

Reply | Quote
                                    • kate38
                                      October 24, 2022 at 3:27 pm #23452

I’m glad they FINALLY mentioned Deanna! It makes sense that she’s off hunting. That’s a very tidy explanation. I’ll accept that for now. It’s interesting that the Campbell family didn’t actually hunt “together” as a family like we saw in “In the Beginning”. It sounds like they were each off doing their own thing and that Samuel and Deanna’s marriage was on the rocks. Interesting.

I like that they’re trying to give us parallels between Supernatural and this show, but some of the parallels are getting heavy handed and boring. Yes, dad is missing. Check. Mary and daddy had a big fight right before he left, and the fight was about leaving the hunting life. Check. The older sibling, who was left alone to watch the younger sibling, feels guilty because something happened that wasn’t his fault. Check. If Mary says something like “If I find dad, I’m not even sure he’ll want to see me.” I think I’ll gag. Side note – I hope they don’t drag out finding Samuel too much longer. It’s starting to feel like that part of the plot is dragging.

This might sound petty, but this is a safe space, so I’m gonna ask: Is anyone else distracted by Mary’s eyebrows? Aside from Brooke Shields (who wasn’t all that popular until the mid to late 1970s) I don’t recall heavy, dark eyebrows being a fashion thing. Maybe it’s just me, but I find those birds really distracting…

And the Indiana Jones hat was a little bit over the top. Silly. I appreciate that it was Samuel’s hat, but it was still silly.

Mary said her parents warded the neighbor’s house. If that’s true, how did the monster get in and take Kerry? Also, why did the monster chose those particular kids and that particular house?

Unpopular opinion alert: This may sound odd, but I’m glad they showed the little girl alone in the first scene. John repeatedly gets crap from the fandom for leaving the boys alone when he was working. I’ve said repeatedly (until I’m blue in the face) that it wasn’t all that uncommon in the 1970s and even in the 1980s. Heck, I remember being left alone overnight to babysit my toddler cousins when I was 10 and my sister was 12. It was no big deal. I’m sure that today that would be unthinkable, but it’s unfair to judge John’s 1970s parenting skills by today’s standards regarding child care. I really feel this show being sympathetic to John, and I appreciate that. It’s about time.

kate

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by kate38kate38.
                                      Reply | Quote
                                  Reply To:

Let’s all talk about The Winchesters – You’re Lost, Little Girl (S1 E3)

Your information:

Cancel