Discussion: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 17 of 17  |  Show  posts at a time
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 12 2020, 6:19 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 12 2020, 6:19 PM EDT
Wow; it's been awhile since the last episode and we're swinging into the final stretch now. We get Jody. We get Billie. I'm nervous about how it's all going to go down in the finale, but I'll take that ride! Here we go! Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None
kate38
kate38
1. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 16 2020, 9:18 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2020, 9:34 PM EDT
This one didn’t move me, but I appreciate what they tried to do.

Interesting twist to bring Dark Kaia back. I didn’t think they’d leave that thread untouched, since Kaia did threaten to kill Dean way back when. But I like the way they wove her back into the story. She was a strong character, and I think she died the way she wanted to. That’s poetic in its own way. And if this is the last we see of Jody and the Wayward girls, I’m okay with their story ending there. They don’t need to die to make a point.

I feel like they’re beating us over the head with Chuck being a villain. At least they finally showed us his end game.

Sorry Jack fans, but I thought the scenes between Sam and Jack, Cas and Jack, and Jack and Kaia were pretty dry and boring. I get why they were there, but they were SO dry...

I like Billie a lot!!! I liked the Old Death, but I think Billie brings her own ominous presence to the part. She’s threatening in her own way. And she seems to be driving the bus right now. I like that.

Next week’s episode looks like another funny one. And isn’t the one after that about a wood nymph? I hope they don’t take too long to get to the point this season. Clearly, Billie’s plan won’t work, so there will be a plot twist. I need to work on my patience.

Overall, not a bad episode. It just didn’t move me.

kate
Do you find this valuable?    
journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
2. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 17 2020, 11:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2020, 1:53 PM EDT
It was reported on the Super Wiki that this episode really only came to be because Jensen wanted to wrap up the Dark Kaia story. Really? With everything going on, I find it odd that that's what he wanted to revisit. Guilt over Dean's harsh treatment of her? Huh.

I found this episode utterly flat. Very little emotion. I enjoyed the tiny scene with Sam and Dean, talking quietly to each other as they readied their weapons to go into the rift, but otherwise, I didn't care. And I love Jody! She was wasted here. I'm disappointed if this was the end to the Wayward Sisters story line! It could and should have been so much better!!!!

Again; any emotion over the death of earth-Kaia is erased because she was not, in fact, dead - and even then we don't get to see a reunion with her and Claire who has, theoretically, been undone by leaving Kaia behind.

Kate, I too feel like they are beating us over the head with Chuck as a villain! WE GET IT ALREADY! I liked it much more when he was an unknown commodity; sometimes endearing, sometimes terrifying. THAT was good.

I agree that Billie is good. I wish they had kept ONE Death, but since they didn't she is an excellent new one. I like that we learned that God does not control everything (well, we already knew that with the Winchesters!!!) - and the "fate" books are out of his control. So...who controls those? How do they control themselves? I have questions!

I think (???) I'm up for a funny meta one next weekend - I hope it has the classic SPN mix of funny and emotional though. Let's all enjoy joking about Jared's man-bun next week. :)

I agree that the finale will kinda seem blah if they don't really work up to it. Occasionally moving that along doesn't seem like "enough" in this final season. I wish they could focus on it more like earlier seasons (Devil escaping Hell...etc.)

journalbookbinder
journalbookbinder
3. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 17 2020, 11:18 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2020, 11:18 AM EDT
I greatly disliked this episode and I usually do not hate the writing of Berens and Glynn, as well as RSJ's directing; so I was disappointed all around. Do you find this valuable?    
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
4. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 17 2020, 7:17 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2020, 7:24 PM EDT
Hi All,

yeah, I am with you two....I feel pretty indifferent about this one. I had really hoped for more, especially having Jody back!

I did find some of Chuck's monologue intriguing - the choices of phrases like "failed spin offs" and "time to cancel shows" etc - it seemed like a comment on the Wayward Sisters fail. But maybe I am reading too much into it?

I did like a lot that Sam was the voice of caution in this episode when it comes to anything to do with Jack. Someone had to question the state of affairs and Billie's plan!
It seemed odd for Billy to have such hidden plans for him, considering how straightforward she normally is.

I didn't mind wrapping up the Kaia/Dark Kaia storyline, BUT I always had a little bit of an issue with the "close connection" Kaia and Claire were supposed to have formed in....what?.....TWO DAYS?! I get that Claire feels guilty about leaving Kaia behind in the other world, but the rest?! "It would kill her..." blah blah?! Not buing it.

Jack and Cas playing "Connect Four" was cute.

WHY wasn't Cas healing Jody?! She had to be bruised and bloody the whole episode long?

Why did they have a girly magazine in the bunker?? Kaia was looking at it at the kitchen table and pushed it away. Strange?

I did like that they FINALLY reinstated the proper bunker warding. About time! Even though it was a little odd that they needed a random reaper to pull it off. You would think they had info on how to do it in the archives, if the MoL put it up in the first place.

I very much enjoyed the Cas and Jody scenes. I thought they had good energy together. Especially the heart-to-heart where Cas basically hands over official responsibility for Claire to Jody, kinda blessing her to be the mom. That was very lovely.

Continues....
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
5. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 17 2020, 8:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2020, 8:15 PM EDT
Continued....

I think for me there were a lot of good things in the episode, but the all felt like truncated thoughts.

And some of it was weird editing, I guess? Like when Kaia and Jack have a conversation where he asks how she survived all that time in the other world alone and she starts to talk about some nursery rhyme? But then the conversation is cut short?! Without more context that scene made no sense to me....maybe there was more before? Or maybe it's because I have no clue what that nursery rhyme was about? Felt like wasted time.

I do love Billie a lot and although Julian R. will always be the ULTIMATE Death to me, she does a very fine job as the new Death. I don't mind that they switched the actors. She is nicely ominous and seems a little more grounded and involved.

LOVE that Sam stood up to her and asked flat out what the plan is! Sam in charge is a wonderful thing to see.

Billie's speech though was a little mind-boggling! Can we talk about that?

So, God made the world, but because he couldn't stop and kept creating more worlds, he couldn't be everywhere at once and needed to "build himself into the frame work"????? WHAT?!
That seems very Matrix to me and I don't get it. I thought the whole point of God is that he is everywhere at all times?!
So the books write themselves in Death's library and everyone is in them, including God and Jack. No one can read them without Death's permission.
Does she know at all times what is in them?
And if they are continuously changing, how can Sam and Dean's "destiny" be clear to anyone????
I mean Death was already wrong about the Malak box...what makes her so sure now?
And why are we back to destiny, when I thought we were just told by Fortuna that they should play their own game aka bring Free Will to the table?

PNP
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
6. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 17 2020, 8:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2020, 8:24 PM EDT
I thought it was completely stupid to have Dean say "So God CAN die?" and then immediately show the flash back to Death telling him that "in the end I will reap him, too." So, what, Dean forgot that little tid bid....unlikely!

And Sam and Dean being "messengers to God's destruction" does NOT sound good!

The special effects of the reaper turning into dust and the comets hitting the Radio Shed were pretty cool!

SO, overall, not BAD exactly, but somewhat stunted, muted and confusing.

SAM was the emotional bright light this ep! Dean almost disappeared for me and THAT should never happen!!!!

Something was missing.

But maybe we needed the info and prep in this episode for "the end"?! Let's hope we get some more info soon,

PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
7. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 17 2020, 8:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2020, 8:28 PM EDT

Now next week looks FUN. I'm guessing Sam and Dean from another world are being rescued or just show up?! And they seem like preppy softies?

Could be hilarious!

BUT.....uh-oh, JBB, it's a Brad/Eugenie ep!!!

PNP
kate38
kate38
8. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 18 2020, 4:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2020, 5:05 PM EDT
"It was reported on the Super Wiki that this episode really only came to be because Jensen wanted to wrap up the Dark Kaia story. Really? With everything going on, I find it odd that that's what he wanted to revisit. Guilt over Dean's harsh treatment of her? Huh.
"
I read that too, JBB :)

I've read criticism from LOTS of fans who are angry with Dean for being harsh with Kaia, as you said, and basically forcing her -- at gun point -- to do something she was terrified of and ended up getting her stuck in monster land. Maybe Jensen also felt that way and wanted a chance to clear Dean's slate and make amends. That would make sense to me.

kate
kate38
kate38
9. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 18 2020, 5:02 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2020, 5:03 PM EDT
"Hi All,

I didn't mind wrapping up the Kaia/Dark Kaia storyline, BUT I always had a little bit of an issue with the "close connection" Kaia and Claire were supposed to have formed in....what?.....TWO DAYS?! I get that Claire feels guilty about leaving Kaia behind in the other world, but the rest?! "It would kill her..." blah blah?! Not buing it.

"
I agree 100%, PNP!

The idea of Claire and Kaia being a couple seemed to come as an afterthought -- like the network wanted a gay couple in the show and the producers decided to oblige by retroactively making Claire and Kaia gay. Otherwise, from their VERY brief interaction in "Wayward Sisters" (or "Patience" -- I can't remember now), I don't understand how Kaia suddenly became Claire's "first love" as Jody stated.

Maybe the girly magazine in the bunker was to remind us that Dark Kaia doesn't feel like she belongs here. Things that most young women her age in THIS world would find interesting are stupid to her. I think the way she shoved the magazine away showed a contempt for this world and the things it values.

YES! GOOD question about why Cas didn't even TRY to heal Jody! Nice catch :)
kate38
kate38
10. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 18 2020, 5:17 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2020, 5:17 PM EDT
"I did find some of Chuck's monologue intriguing - the choices of phrases like "failed spin offs" and "time to cancel shows" etc - it seemed like a comment on the Wayward Sisters fail. But maybe I am reading too much into it?

"
Hey, PNP :)

When Chuck mentioned "failed spinoffs" I thought he was talking about Bloodlines and Wayward Sisters. But when he talked about canceling shows, I was pretty sure he was talking about Supernatural's last season and how it's time to "cancel" the Winchesters. But I see your interpretation, too.

Speaking of Chuck, can I spend a few sentences saying how AWESOME Rob Benedict is at playing Chuck? When Chuck was just a booze-addled, hermit prophet, Rob totally sold it. I believed him. And now that Chuck has supposedly gone dark side, that's believable, too. I don't love the story line so far, but I still have to commend Rob on the incredible job he's doing of trying to convince us.

kate
kate38
kate38
11. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 18 2020, 5:42 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2020, 5:44 PM EDT
"Billie's speech though was a little mind-boggling! Can we talk about that?

So, God made the world, but because he couldn't stop and kept creating more worlds, he couldn't be everywhere at once and needed to "build himself into the frame work"????? WHAT?!
That seems very Matrix to me and I don't get it. I thought the whole point of God is that he is everywhere at all times?!
So the books write themselves in Death's library and everyone is in them, including God and Jack. No one can read them without Death's permission.
Does she know at all times what is in them?
And if they are continuously changing, how can Sam and Dean's "destiny" be clear to anyone????
I mean Death was already wrong about the Malak box...what makes her so sure now?
And why are we back to destiny, when I thought we were just told by Fortuna that they should play their own game aka bring Free Will to the table?

PNP "
Great questions, PNP

The part of Billie’s speech when she says that Chuck wrote himself into the story didn’t make a lot of sense to me, either. She said that he wrote himself into the story for harmony and balance, so the world would keep ticking (like a Swiss watch) in his absence. Then she says that he built himself into the framework. But doesn’t that mean if HE dies, the story (and the world) ends? That sounds like what he thinks is the truth. But how is that a failsafe? And since Chuck doesn’t know what’s in his own Book (in Death’s library), maybe he doesn’t KNOW that destroying this world will also kill HIM? Like I said, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, either.

And when Billie said the Winchesters are the “Messengers of Chuck’s destruction”, what did she mean by THAT??

[...continued...]
kate38
kate38
12. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 18 2020, 5:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 18 2020, 5:51 PM EDT
[...continued...]

One thing about Billie’s speech that stuck with me is that it sounds like she has something REALLY big in her plans, and the life of any single individual, including her own reaper, Jack, the Winchesters, etc. means nothing when compared to whatever else is at stake. She is prepared to sacrifice every player on the board to achieve whatever her end game is. That might mean a very bad ending for pretty much the entire cast YIKES!

Clearly, Billie knows what Chuck is up to. But they want us to believe that Chuck doesn’t know what Billie and Jack are up to.

To your other question, I get the impression that Billie is the ONLY one who knows what’s in everyone’s book. I suspect the Malak box WAS Dean’s destiny until it got changed. But that change probably changed other things as well - in his own book, and in other people's books, too; so Billie is the only one who knows where everybody stands right now.

It's all very convoluted. But I think you’re right that the final battle will be between the Winchesters exercising their free will (as Fortuna said, playing their own game) and other forces trying to convince them to pursue the destinies that are predetermined for them based on Billie’s books.

SIDE NOTE: Didn't Cas' pseudo-friend Sergei imply that a person with the right powers could break into Death's library? Maybe that will be part of the story -- steal the Books and rewrite them? Or steal them to destroy them, so the Winchesters' lives are finally their own? The writers have brought up Death's Library a few times. I suspect it's for a reason.

kate
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
13. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 23 2020, 6:42 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2020, 6:42 PM EDT
"
Maybe the girly magazine in the bunker was to remind us that Dark Kaia doesn't feel like she belongs here. Things that most young women her age in THIS world would find interesting are stupid to her. I think the way she shoved the magazine away showed a contempt for this world and the things it values.

"
AHA! Excellent point, kate! That would make sense.

PNP
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
14. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 23 2020, 6:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2020, 6:45 PM EDT
"Hey, PNP :)

Speaking of Chuck, can I spend a few sentences saying how AWESOME Rob Benedict is at playing Chuck? When Chuck was just a booze-addled, hermit prophet, Rob totally sold it. I believed him. And now that Chuck has supposedly gone dark side, that's believable, too. I don't love the story line so far, but I still have to commend Rob on the incredible job he's doing of trying to convince us.

kate"
I COMPLETELY agree, Kate!!!

Rob is a joy to watch and so convincing in all of his facets of Chuck!

He has great chemistry with all of his co-stars in every scene - not an easy feat - and I am very happy that we got to see so much of him last and this year!

PNP
PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
15. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 23 2020, 6:52 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2020, 6:52 PM EDT
"[...continued...]

One thing about Billie’s speech that stuck with me is that it sounds like she has something REALLY big in her plans, and the life of any single individual, including her own reaper, Jack, the Winchesters, etc. means nothing when compared to whatever else is at stake. She is prepared to sacrifice every player on the board to achieve whatever her end game is. That might mean a very bad ending for pretty much the entire cast YIKES!

Clearly, Billie knows what Chuck is up to. But they want us to believe that Chuck doesn’t know what Billie and Jack are up to.

To your other question, I get the impression that Billie is the ONLY one who knows what’s in everyone’s book. I suspect the Malak box WAS Dean’s destiny until it got changed. But that change probably changed other things as well - in his own book, and in other people's books, too; so Billie is the only one who knows where everybody stands right now.

It's all very convoluted. But I think you’re right that the final battle will be between the Winchesters exercising their free will (as Fortuna said, playing their own game) and other forces trying to convince them to pursue the destinies that are predetermined for them based on Billie’s books.

kate"
All excellent points, kate!

My BIG issue with all of it is that it seems very much like BILLIE is now manipulating them all just like Chuck is!!!!!

Another thought - maybe "writing himself into the frame work to keep things ticking" means that he is the reason that the books write themselves?! That his imagination when he concentrates on THIS world make the stories in the books change?

It IS convoluted....most likely on purpose. HA!

PNP

PigNaPoke
PigNaPoke
16. RE: Let's all talk about "Galaxy Brain" (S15 E12) here!
Mar 23 2020, 6:54 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2020, 6:54 PM EDT
"
SIDE NOTE: Didn't Cas' pseudo-friend Sergei imply that a person with the right powers could break into Death's library? Maybe that will be part of the story -- steal the Books and rewrite them? Or steal them to destroy them, so the Winchesters' lives are finally their own? The writers have brought up Death's Library a few times. I suspect it's for a reason.

kate"
BTW - I wanted to KICK Cas for letting Sergei into the bunker! SUCH bad idea!!

And I was under the impression that HE (Sergei) wanted a way into the library. Did I get that wrong?

PNP