airdate: October 26, 2005
directed by David Jackson
written by John Shiban
The infamous "Hook Man," a vengeful spirit who kills his victims with a shiny hook that serves as his hand, terrorizes a small college town in Iowa. Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) learn that all the victims are connected to the daughter of a local minister and race to find and destroy the Hook Man's bones before he comes for them.
- Dean: That's it! Next time, I get to watch the cute girl's house.
- Dean: Your half-caff double vanilla latte's getting cold over here, Francis.
- Lori: So, your brother seems very... spiritual.
- Why is John deliberately staying away from his sons?
- Sam is attracted to a girl for the first time since Jess died. This causes him some conflict.
- Dean pries it out of Sam that he really he really didn't have much of a social life in college...he was more of a library geek. (This may not be much of a revelation.)
- This episode is the first time we see the salt guns (shotguns filled with rock salt that the Winchesters use to drive off ghosts).
- The boys are looking for an unmarked grave, but when Dean finds a likely grave site, there is a marker...it just doesn't say anything on it.
- Alf Humphreys, who plays the sherrif, was in the original My Bloody Valentine (1981); Jensen Ackles starred in the 2009 remake.
- Split Habit - "Merry Go Round"
- Quiet Riot - "Bang Your Head (Metal Health)"
- Low Five - "Noise"
- APM - "At Rest"
- APM - "Royal Bethlehem"
- Paul Richards - "U Do 2 Me"
- Boston - "Peace of Mind"
- After springing Sam from lockup, Dean says that he is Matlock, referring to the TV show (1986-1995) in which Matlock (played by Andy Griffith) was a courtroom lawyer who always won his cases.
- When Dean says, "Nice job, Dr. Venkman," he is referring to the Bill Murray character from 1984's Ghostbusters.
- When the boys break into the sorority, Dean asks whether they might see a naked pillow fight, as in the movie Animal House, where John Belushi's character looks in the window of a sorority house and sees topless girls pillow fighting.
After a construction worker is killed by insects burrowing into his brain, the brothers investigate a town's history and find that a new housing development is being built on sacred Indian land - with a curse attached.