Reply To: Let’s all talk about – The Winchesters – Masters of War (S1 E4)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about – The Winchesters – Masters of War (S1 E4) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about – The Winchesters – Masters of War (S1 E4)

kate38
    November 6, 2022 at 5:37 pm #25678

Hi, Guys!!
    I don’t have much to add about this one. It’s my favorite so far, which is encouraging about the rest of the season.

Ahem. A surgical cap is completely worthless if 90% of your hair isn’t under it. Just sayin’…

I enjoyed the focus on John in this one, and I respect the writer’s and producers’ choice to shine light on PTSD. John Winchester is one of the strongest, most complicated, sincere and mentally solid characters I’ve ever encountered in any television show or film. If HE can have PTSD, it can affect literally anyone. My only criticism of this story line is that back in the 1970s, there was a real stigma associated with “getting help” when a soldier had problems like those depicted in this episode. I thought they handled the whole “Let’s get therapy” thing a little too lightly and eagerly. That made is less credible for me. Otherwise, I really do appreciate what they tried to do.

Interesting that Millie said John has been running toward danger since he was four. Is that how old he was when Henry left? I got the impression he was older. Or maybe that was just a heavy-handed reference to parallel Dean.

The whole fight scene kind of confused me. I thought the god-dude said John needed to draw “first blood” in order to save Carlos; but when they switched back to the fight, John was bloody, but the other guy wasn’t. And why kill all those other soldiers in all those other states if the dude’s goal was to prepare John to face the acreda? Unless I misunderstood that part, it seems like a weak connection.

Overall, this one gets a solid B+ — the best episode so far. Keep it up, Jensen!!

kate

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by kate38kate38.