Reply To: Let’s all talk about The End – S5 E4)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The End – S5 E4) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about The End – S5 E4)

kate38
    December 4, 2022 at 1:07 pm #32725

“One of the best ones they ever made.”
    Truer words were never spoken, JBB. If I had to pick one episode that captures Supernatural at the top of its game, it would be this one.

“The parts where Dean is realizing how far he himself has veered off course thanks to the Croatoan apocalypse is perhaps one of the most heartbreaking things to me. When he realizes that his future self is unapologetically sending his friends to their deaths just so he has the chance to kill Lucifer; it’s truly chilling.”
    “Chilling” is a perfect description of those moments. Dean is consistently hit with one shock after another — he wakes up zapped five years into a future-apocalypse word, he discovers that Bobby is probably dead, he discovers the neglected/abandoned Impala…then the BIG reveals happen, like when he realizes that the conversation he JUST had with Sam in 2009 was probably the last time they spoke, when he realizes that he’s capable of shooting one of his own people in cold blood, that he’s torturing demons again (with ZERO remorse this time), and perhaps the worst one — that if he’d been with Sam in Detroit, he probably could’ve convinced Sam to not say yes. Dean’s whole experience in this episode is chilling, revealing, and perfectly executed. I bought every second of it!

“I do wonder a bit about the “Do You Love Me” choice for the music for the slaughter of the infected people. Was that some kind of reference to a movie like Apocalypse Now or Good Morning Vietnam or some other movie I don’t know? It seemed out of place.”
    I haven’t listened to the commentary for a while, but I seem to recall Ben Edlund saying that the “Apocalypse Now” juxtaposition of bloody brutality and bullet-riddled bodies dropping to the ground happening against that music is exactly what they were going for.

“I hate to say it, because I love them together best, but this episode convinced me that Jensen could have carried the show solo no problem.”
    I have thought this for a LONG time, although I recognize that it’s probably an unpopular opinion to express — especially on social media. Not only is Jensen a better and more well-rounded actor, but if he had to carry this show alone, he has better chemistry with almost every guest actor than Jared does. We’ve seen both actors in separate scenes with Jim Beaver, Steven Williams, Samantha Ferris, Alona Tal, Misha Collins, Mark Sheppard, Kim Rhodes, and a long list of other people. Jensen just “clicks” with people immediately, and the camera picks up on that. For Jared, that seems to be more of an effort. The camera finds that, too.

Dean looking over at the empty seat in the Impala was at the beginning of “Free to be You and Me”. And yes, just the expression and demeanor told everything Dean was feeling at that moment. Sigh…Can Jensen please just have his Emmy already?

I don’t think this set gets enough love! I know it’s the Watchmen set, and Supernatural uses it again in “Point of No Return” when Cas gives Dean a tune up in that alley. I think there might be another time when it gets used, but I can’t recall it right now. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how the visual effects and set design people turned that set (including the hotel room) into apocalypse world. I think Edlund said that they used set design for the street level (all the debris) and the first story of all the buildings, but everything above that and in the distance was CGI. To me, the overall effect was stunning and totally convincing. Kudos!

A thousand upvotes for this one 🙂

kate

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by kate38kate38.