airdate: October 17, 2019
directed by Robert Singer
written by Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming
|This is largely a continuation of the season premiere as the ghosts that escaped from hell that Sam and Dean contained in one town try to plot an escape and Sam, Dean, Cas, and Rowena try to keep them from getting out. Kevin is, surprisingly, there as a soul escaped from hell (?!). Arthur Ketch stops by to help. God and Amara talk about their current situation and relationship in Reno before Amara tires of her brother and leaves. Ultimately, Rowena manages to trap many of the souls within a crystal to keep them contained, but there are so many it's hard to contain them all.|
More about Raising Hell (full recap)
- DEAN: THIS IS QUITE THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS. HOPE YOU'VE GOT AN AMAZON ACCOUNT.
- CAS: DEAN, I RECOGNIZE THAT I DROPPED THE BUCK.
DEAN: BALL. IT'S YOU DROPPED THE BALL.
- CAS: ...THAT'S PRECISELY WHAT LIFE IS. IT'S AN OBSTACLE COURSE. AND MAYBE CHUCK DESIGNED THE
OBSTACLES BUT WE RAN OUR OWN RACE. WE MADE OUR OWN MOVES AND MOSTLY WE DID WELL WITH
DEAN: DID WE?
- CAS: DEAN, YOU ASKED WHAT ABOUT ALL THIS IS REAL? WE ARE.
- DEAN: TURNS OUT GOD'S A DICK.
- BELPHAGOR: KEVIN? KEVIN TRAN? WHINEY KEVIN TRAN? TYPICAL MILLENIAL.
- DEAN: YOU BRING THE SOUL CATCHER?
SAM: THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE CALLING IT?
DEAN: I LIKE "SOUL CATCHER".
- DEAN: HERE'S OUR OFFER: YOU GO TO HELL.
- SAM: I'M SORRY KEVIN. I WISH THERE WAS SOME WAY TO MAKE THIS RIGHT.
KEVIN: ME TOO, BUT THERE ISN'T AND SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOTTA ACCEPT THAT.
- KEVIN: I LOVE YOU GUYS.
- AMARA (TO GOD): EVEN ON YOUR BEST DAY, YOU COULDN'T FORCE MY HAND, AND THIS IS NOT YOUR BEST DAY.
- AMARA (TO GOD): SO I GUESS YOU GOT WHAT YOU ALWAYS WANTED. YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN.
- How, exactly, could God tell everyone involved that he was sending a deserving Kevin to heaven, then send him to hell??? Kevin in hell makes no sense here!
- Why do Sam and Dean always have to run into FAMOUS ghosts like Jack the Ripper here?
- How, exactly, did Ketch happen to be "in the neighborhood" to stop by and help the Winchesters out?
- How are these ghosts suddenly able to sustain visibility for long periods of time?
- Why did Sam or Dean need to wear the iron chain to protect them from ghost possession when they already have anti-possession tattoos? Or are those tattoos only for protection against demons?
- In spite of trying to repair their relationship, Amara is still not very enchanted with her brother, God.
- God is not all-powerful anymore; perhaps as a result of being hit with his own "God gun".
- Amara does yoga.
- Kevin has been in hell all this time, not heaven.
- Being sent to hell by God puts you higher in the hell hierarchy than others.
- Kevin would rather wander the earth and take his chances on becoming an angry spirit than go to heaven.
- Something is wrong with Sam as a result of his God gun shoulder injury.
- The ghosts freed from hell seem to be able to remain visible for a sustained period of time which is usually not the case.
- Belphagor (in the body of Jack), says that souls sent to hell cannot enter heaven, but exceptions were made for John Winchester and Bobby Singer by God himself because of his fondness for Sam and Dean.
- Amara revealed that God is not strong enough to escape this universe right now without her help.
- We see that people injured by the God-gun aka the "Equalizer" are connected to each other. When God winces from his wound, so does Sam.
- Ketch lets on that he was once tasked with killing Belphagor, but he was not successful.
- Apparently, Rowena and Ketch are attracted to each other.
- Arthur Ketch says that Dean already killed him once, but this is wrong, it was Mary Winchester who killed him.
- Mention is made of John Winchester and Bobby Singer's apparent "exception" of going to heaven when they originally cast down to hell; going against what is usually allowed.
No notable music.