Reply To: Let’s all talk about The Kids are Alright (S3 E2)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Kids are Alright (S3 E2) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about The Kids are Alright (S3 E2)

PigNaPoke
    January 15, 2022 at 3:14 pm #11946

OOOH, soo late to the party…

I always have and will love this episode because of Lisa and Ben and what that story line reveals about Dean’s secret desire for a family life.

It isn’t a perfect episode. I agree with the criticism that some of the “changeling children are creepy and violent” theme is a bit overdone in parts or too much time spent on the rattling of the bathroom door etc. But I do believe that it helps making the complete desperation and loneliness of the mother clear and let’s me believe that she’s driven to the brink of drowning the monster child that is clearly NOT her daughter anymore and no one will believe her.
    Kate, I honestly think she doesn’t have any “what’s after” clue. She’s just at the end of her rope and scared out of her wits to a point that she makes a snap decision.

YES, JBB, in my heart and mind Ben IS DEAN’S as well!! And I thought A LOT about all that over the years.

To me Lisa either was quick to lie about actually taking a DNA test at all OR she knows Ben is Dean’s but isn’t about to throw that at the guy she had an amazing weekend with 8 years ago and who pops up out of nowhere for who knows what reason or how long. Dean JUST showed back up….Lisa is in the middle of a party, it’s not the place or time to say something about it right there, IF she knows. What would that accomplish? I don’t have the feeling that Dean revealed much about his personal life to Lisa during the fun weekend (not like he did in the months with Cassie) so Lisa couldn’t know at that moment that Dean would take a responsibility like that seriously. All a reveal like that would do at that point is make her and Ben vulnerable to Dean’s whim. Maybe Dean would want parental rights, maybe he turns out to be an asshole (thinking in Lisa’s POV here). She tells him later that she’s had a thing for “bad boys” ergo putting him into that category as well. I completely understand that she doesn’t tell Dean in this episode that Ben is his IF she actually knows. After all, Dean leaves again at the end of the episode, and Lisa just found out about his real “job” and what danger he has to deal with on a regular basis. So, again, what would it mean or change for her to tell him right there. I LOVE that Dean says that he would have been proud to be Ben’s dad. Lisa shyly suggests for Dean to stick around and she seems really disappointed when he declines (well, who wouldn’t be….lol).
    Then later, he moves in and lives with them for a year and she has a much better look at the REAL Dean, but he’s a MESS at the time, so again, what difference would it make to add to the huge burden on his shoulders? She sees his commitment to their family and I think she would no wanted to put that extra pressure on Dean of “needing to care”. I do believe that she would have eventually told him, OR she simply didn’t know and Dean showed his love for them in every way he can. Then it all crashes down and he makes that horribly sad decision to leave them behind (which I am still incredibly torn about)….so really, it’s just all been bad timing with them. However, I am do very happy for BOTH of them that they at least have the little time they do spend together as it clearly means/meant a lot to them both (and Ben).

OK – sorry to go on and on…..

I also love all the funny parts of this episode. Jensen’s physical comedy is SO on point in this one!! The way he moves away from the ladies after their creepy flirting in the yard. The way he reacts to Ben and stumbles back towards the house when he’s suspecting Ben might be his son. It’s all perfect.

Regarding the other story in this episode. I agree with both of your assessments. I love the way the Sam and Ruby story develops. We are constantly left guessing if she is on his side or playing him. The little bits of info she feeds him and the carrot she dangles seem such a great help, but then the reveal of her being a demon puts it all in question again. Playing again on the theme that there are so many grey areas in this world it makes Sam’s struggle really relatable.

Kate, I always wondered about the usefulness of the info about all of Mary’s friends being killed systematically. WHY? What was the point of that story line? Why would they kill all of Mary’s acquaintances? To keep John without help? I don’t know. It seemed like a throwaway story line to me and I didn’t like that. Am I missing something?

So, there, that’s my two cents. 🙂

PNP