Reply To: Let’s all talk about Dead in the Water (S1 E3)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Dead in the Water (S1 E3) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about Dead in the Water (S1 E3)

journalbookbinder
    December 8, 2020 at 11:04 am #3864

I keep marveling at the dark look of season 1 and remembering how I fell in love with it right away. You could see the X-Files influence and I really love it.

This one shows yet another sweet side of Dean (I sure remembered him being more of a cocky jerk in season 1 – no wonder I fell in love with him so hard – he’s not a jerk at all!). He can’t leave the situation alone even when the sheriff threatens him and Sam with arrest. He has to turn around and go back to check on Lucas (just in time for Sam to save Lucas’ mom from death in the tub!). Even if Dean doesn’t love kids, he remembers what it was like to be one; to be scared; and he can’t let poor Lucas suffer. Funny that compassionate Sam is the one ready to take off in this case (as he really wants to find John). I love that the mom here was also not going to take any bullshit or bad pickup lines.

The father who ended up dying in the boat “explosion” (that was a big effect!) was truly great here, portraying a grief-stricken father with nothing left to lose who doesn’t care about anything anymore with his family dead.

The ghost child in the water, just barely peeking above the surface with his hair plastered down was truly terrifying. Also, the shot of the Sheriff flailing as he was dragged down was pretty arresting. Dean got a kiss from the grateful woman (again; same as from the sister in Wendigo last week). It was all very g-rated and sweet.

It’s kind of a long-standing Supernatural theme that “the truth will come out” and it was on display early here. Bad things haunt you until they are resolved.

BTW, that was the easiest-to-unearth bicycle in history! If it had been buried for that many decades, it would have been much more difficult.

The thing that got me the most in this one was Dean caring about Lucas – remembering himself at his age and Mary’s death and how traumatic that was. THAT early it was the first time we (and Sam) saw that Dean was not okay even though he tried to always appear that he was okay. These early ones are sad. They do NOT save nearly everyone. There’s a lot of pain. It’s really compelling though.