Reply To: Let’s all talk about My Bloody Valentine (S5 E14)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about My Bloody Valentine (S5 E14) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about My Bloody Valentine (S5 E14)

PigNaPoke
    February 19, 2023 at 8:03 pm #42574

I forget every round of rewatching how great this episode is! Truly SCARY. Straight from the start!

That couple literally devouring each other is so creepy and sets the stage immediately to high stakes.

OOOH that red and green swirly wallpaper in the motel. Strong choice.

First view of Dean sitting in shirt and loose tie with his feet up on the table….HOT.

Hehe, Unattached Drifter Christmas.

When they meet the Cupid Dean’s reactions are ALL hilarious. The distaste on his face when the naked angel is standing in front of him. LOL And when he punches him and almost breaks his hand.

I know that the stuff the cupid says about Mary and John needing to meet and Sam and Dean needing to be born and how John and Mary couldn’t stand each other at first now goes directly against what we are seeing on The Winchesters, however, I never liked that notion here ever. The whole idea that Sam and Dean were “manufactured” never sat well with me. And it isn’t really pursued later into the seasons, so the statement here kind of hangs in the air alone.

Famine is sooooo incredibly creepy. They chose the perfect actor and I love how the character is made to look so frail and weak when he wields such terrible power.  The threat of being completely out of control to reign in your impulses is terrifying and they made that very palpable in this episode and visually effective – like the guy sticking his hands into the deep fryer and his skin peeling off. The carnage at the Biggerson is awful.

I love how all the signs that something is wrong even with Sam and Cas are slowly creeping up. It’s very subtle until it’s not.

Poor Sam. I am glad he did say that Famine got to him! He could’ve tried to hide it. He looked so beaten when he told Dean, though. We could clearly see how much he hated to disappoint Dean.

I don’t buy what Famine is saying to Dean how his effect bounces off Dean because he is already dead inside. Dean is one of the most passionate and deep feeling people ever, he is NOT dead inside. I tend to believe it’s what DEAN said, that he’s just “well fed” and that’s why Famine can’t get a hook in with him. He’s too full of everything and there is no room for a hunger to catch on. Just because you don’t CRAVE something doesn’t mean your empty.

I think Famine just knows what to say to Dean to make him doubt himself and have a chink in his armor.

Yes, Dean is scared and overwhelmed standing against impossible odds. Only a fool wouldn’t be. But he is NOT dead inside.

“Americans are like a swarm of locusts in stretchpants.” HAHA. Sadly true for many.

I agree, JBB, Dean’s never ending snark in the presence of beings he has no chance fighting is WONDERFUL and inspiring. He will not and cannot just be meek and quiet! I love that so much. He won’t hide and he won’t show weakness, even when he knows his chances are slim to none to get out of a situation….there IS always a chance.

And it also makes the contrast to Dean being truly scared, like when Sam took out Famine with his mind, and at a low point, like at the very end of the episode, so much more stark and effective.

Great episode.