Reply To: Let’s all talk about Shadow (S1 E16)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Shadow (S1 E16) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about Shadow (S1 E16)

journalbookbinder
    March 16, 2021 at 11:09 am #6237

This was a strong episode. Any time an episode largely deals with the Winchester family dynamic, I tend to love it. We get that heartbreaking speech from Dean about how he wants him and Sam and John to be a family again; after the hunt for the thing that killed mom is over. And Sam just kills his hopes by telling him he’s not going to do this forever AND he doesn’t want things to go back to the way they were like Dean does. The acting in that scene, especially Jensen’s is exquisite.

Later, when John shows up, the meeting between him and Sam…how it starts out tentative and how JARED just kills it there; showing us just how badly Sam craves John’s love and approval, but is reluctant to be the one to make the first move towards a hug. It really hit home to me on re-watch just how LONG it had been since their fight before Sam left for Stanford and that was the last time they saw each other.

Also very effective to have the shadow entities attack right at the most emotional (and, as said in the show, moment when John had his guard down the most) moment. It was shocking to have them thrown around and attacked so violently after that touching scene with John.

I never believed that Meg didn’t know Sam was watching her from the elevator shaft…Sam thought so…but of course she knew he was there.

I also thought it was a very effective and creepy use of sexuality on Meg’s part. DEFINITELY the creepy demon thing – not caring if she’s ultimately going to kill them or use them…she’s still up for a little fun with Sam. Bravo to Sam for figuring out that something was off right away because it was just too weird to run into her again in the middle of the case.

And the fact that the victims whose case they were trying to solve came from Lawrence…it was just done by Meg to throw them. I thought this was a good, complicated, emotional episode.

Nice dive that Meg took out the window too.