Reply To: Let’s all talk about Nighshifter (S2 E12)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Nighshifter (S2 E12) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about Nighshifter (S2 E12)

journalbookbinder
    August 16, 2021 at 1:33 pm #9158

LOVE THIS ONE!

My spouse, who is watching most of these for the first time along with me, said this was their favorite so far.

This is one of those where it felt like the episode was 90 minutes long instead of 60 but I LIKED IT! There is a lot of tension and creeping around, but at very few points did I think it went on too long.

The whole bank thing was great. My favorite part of this episode is the terrifying/sinking feeling we get – right along with Dean – that has nothing to do with the monster. The monster they can handle. But when Dean sees the TON of police outside (cast of thousands or some good camera work!) and we can see the “oh shit” expression on his face when he releases the heart attack victim. That gets so much worse when Hendricksen tells him everything he knows about him…and John…and Sam…and Jensen’s acting could not be better there; seeing the despair on his face which, of course, we only see (usually) when he’s alone as he puts on a brave face for everyone else.

I love Ronald. So sincere. He only wants to help but doesn’t have a CLUE about how to do it skillfully. I love Sam and Dean trying to “manage” the situation and all the little touches. Like Dean saying Ronald doesn’t like Sam, Ronald then confirming it, then later when Sam and Ronald have to try to work together and Sam, begrudgingly, says, “Hello, Ronald.” Perfect. Sam was only trying to protect him by trying to keep him out of it. Dean was kind of admiring of Ronald and I liked that. He wanted to let him know he was not crazy – wanted to give him credit for the work he did to figure it out – though he didn’t get to say it until after he was dead.

The shell game aspect of the shifter was exciting too. It really is an edge-of-your-seat episode.

I think Hedricksen is very effective. When he walks into that police van and tells the local cop in charge that he can “go get a donut and then go bang your wife for all I care” – Hendricksen is SUCH an ass, but he’s so confident and I think that unnerves Dean – a lot. Some of the same cockiness Dean tries to have. He talks like catching them is a FACT that WILL happen.

Really good final fight scene with Dean and the (female) shifter. Loved that. Loved the “playing dead” fake and Sam reasoning it out (super-fast) that if she was the woman who fainted, that doesn’t help the thing survive…put playing dead DOES help it survive.

And one of the best endings in all of Supernatural history with “Renegade” and some great editing, and finally the reveal of just how the hell they got out of there.

I also loved that they let Ronald be wrong – somewhat right, but wrong conclusion. The “mandroid” thing is the best. It goes on and on for half the episode at least.

PNP: I think Hendricksen, yes, it shows us how it CAN look. Like they are grave robbers and murderers (people always die around them) and crazy people. I DO love knowing that Hendricksen “gets it” spectacularly later on (even though that happens after he realizes the “truth”).

PNP: True; if Sam had told the truth, it probably never would have happened like this. The man who played Ronald did it perfectly. I love how they find such great character actors that hold their own against gorgeous and talented Jared and Jensen…I care about everyone and it makes me focus less on how great Sam and Dean look when I’m involved in the story and all of those single-episode characters are so compelling.