airdate: November 16, 2006
directed by Steve Boyum
written by Sera Gamble
|When two highly successful professionals die after claiming to be haunted by hellhounds, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) investigate the local dive bar and discover it sits upon a site where a deal-making demon has been making people's dreams come true in exchange for their souls.
Dean summons the demon to exorcise it but is horrified after it reveals the painful truth about John's death and tempts Dean by offering him the one thing he wants more than anything -- his father.
- Sam: Whatever they are, they're big, nasty...
Dean: Yeah, I bet they could hump the crap out of your leg. Look at that one, huh? What? They could!
- Dean: You know, I usually like to be warned before I'm violated with demon tongue.
La Monde Byrd
- What exactly are the hell hounds, and is there any way to escape them?
- Was Dean tempted to truly make the deal to trade his soul for John's?
- The crossroads demon seals a deal with a kiss.
- When someone makes a crossroads deal, he or she is ripped apart by hell hounds at the end of the deal term.
- Hell hounds are invisible except to those they are after.
- The opening of the episode is a recreation of actual accounts of the death of Blues legend Robert Johnson. The plot of the episode is based on these accounts as well as Johnson's music.
- If the demon took the lives of people who made a deal with them for ten years, why did Robert Johnson die eight years later and not ten as it was supposed to be?
- Little Walter - "Key to the Highway"
- Robert Johnson - "Crossroad Blues"
- Robert Johnson - "Hell Hound on my Trail"
- Son House - "Downhearted Blues"
- Brian Tichy - "Chaos Surrounds You"
- Nazareth - "Hair of the Dog"
- When Dean finds out about all the arrest warrants out for him, he says, "Dude, I'm like Dillinger or something." This is a reference to gangster John Dillinger of the Depression Era. A bank robber, he was considered a Robin Hood by some as anda new breed of criminalby others.
In a small Oregon town, Sam is infected by a supernatural virus that sweeps friends and neighbors into a frenzy of violence.