Prophet and Loss
Episode 12 Season 14
airdate: January 31, 2019
directed by Thomas J. Wright
written by Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming
|Dean is determined to carry out his suicide mission in order to permanently trap archangel Michael inside his own body and thus protect the world from Michael's destruction. Sam has to take one last impassioned shot at talking Dean down. On the way, they help unravel a mystery of why the next prophet in line after Donatello has become a serial killer and we also learn that Nick may not be seeking revenge for his murdered family as much as he's seeking contact with Lucifer again.|
(Most important one first):
- SAM: 'SORRY.' HOW SORRY ARE YOU? SORRY THAT YOU FIGHT TO KEEP DONATELLO ALIVE, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO YOU, YOU JUST THROW IN THE TOWEL? OR ARE YOU SORRY THAT, AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, OUR ENTIRE LIVES, AFTER I'VE LOOKED UP TO YOU, AFTER I'VE LEARNED FROM YOU. I - I'VE COPIED YOU, I FOLLOWED YOU TO HELL AND BACK. ARE YOU SORRY THAT ALL OF THAT - IT - IT -IT MEANS NOTHING NOW?
DEAN: WHO'S SAYING THAT?
SAM: YOU ARE. WHEN YOU TELL ME I HAVE TO KILL YOU. WHEN YOU'RE TELLING ME I HAVE TO THROW AWAY EVERYTHING WE STAND FOR. THROW AWAY FAITH, THROW AWAY FAMILY. WE'RE THE GUYS THAT SAVED THE WORLD. WE DON'T JUST CHECK OUT OF IT!
DEAN: SAM, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING! I GOT ONE CARD LEFT TO PLAY AND I HAVE TO PLAY IT.
SAM: YOU HAVE ONE CARD TODAY. BUT WE'LL FIND ANOTHER TOMORROW. BUT IF YOU QUIT ON US TODAY, THERE WON'T BE A TOMORROW! YOU TELL ME YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I DON'T EITHER, DEAN. NOT YET. BUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING NOW...IT'S WRONG! IT'S QUITTING! I MEAN - LOOK WHAT JUST HAPPENED. DONATELLO NEVER QUIT FIGHTING. SO WE COULD HELP HIM BECAUSE HE NEVER GAVE UP. I BELIEVE IN US, DEAN. I BELIEVE IN US. WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE IN US TOO?
DEAN: OKAY, SAM, LET'S GO HOME. MAYBE BILLIE'S WRONG. MAYBE. BUT I DO BELIEVE IN ALL OF US AND I'LL KEEP BELIEVING UNTIL I CAN'T. UNTIL THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER WAY. BUT WHEN THAT DAY COMES - IF THAT DAY COMES - SAM, YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS - THE END. AND YOU HAVE TO PROMISE ME THAT YOU'LL DO THEN WHAT YOU CAN'T DO NOW AND THAT'S LET ME GO AND PUT ME IN THAT BOX. (looks at Cas) YOU TOO. NOW YOU HEARD ME. LET'S GO HOME. (to Sam) DON'T HIT ME AGAIN, OKAY?
- SAM: TOMORROW MORNING, BACK ON TRACK. NO REST FOR THE SELF-DESTRUCTIVE.
- NICK: HE (Lucifer) LEFT ME, BUT CHANGED ME.
- SAM: IF WE DON'T FIND SOME WAY, DEAN'S GONE.
- SAM: DEAN, YOU'RE THE ONE WHO WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR ME. THE ONLY ONE.
- DEAN: I DIDN'T ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR YOU THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE. I MEAN, YOU KNOW, I HAD MY OWN STUFF. IN
ORDER TO KEEP THE PEACE, I TOOK HIS SIDE QUITE A BIT. SOMETIMES WHEN I WAS AWAY, YOU KNOW IT WASN'T
BECAUSE I JUST RAN OUT, RIGHT? DAD WOULD, HE WOULD SEND ME AWAY WHEN I REALLY PISSED HIM OFF. I THINK YOU KNEW THAT.
- DEAN: ONE LAST CASE FOR THE WINCHESTER BOYS.
- DEAN: YOU'RE NOT CHOSEN, PAL, YOU'RE JUST A PSYCHO.
- DOCTOR: SOMETIMES LETTING GO IS THE RIGHT CHOICE.
DEAN: TELL ME ABOUT IT.
- CAS: I CAN FIX HIM.
DEAN: WAIT, HOW, I THOUGHT HE WAS TOO FAR GONE.
CAS: DEAN, IF THERE'S A SPARK, A HOPE, I HAVE TO TRY. YOU TAUGHT ME THAT.
(Sarah; late wife of Nick)
(special mention for the actress who played the drowning woman; the first victim of Tony Alvarez; and did an AMAZING job)
It could be argued that Nick is also a "Baddie of the Week" because he quite possibly killed the deputy guarding him in the hospital and he's "bad" in that we now know for sure that his current quest is not justice or revenge for his murdered family, but, instead, to be reunited with Lucifer.
- Where is Jack during this episode?
- Why did the next prophet become partially activated now? Hasn't Donatello been comatose for quite awhile?
- How did Dean's cell phone work underwater in the opening nightmare sequence?
- How long will Dean be able to contain Micahel with his mind inside his own body?
- How often did John "send Dean away" when he was younger and Dean angered him?
- Did young Sam feel like Dean was abandoning him when young Dean was "sent away"?
- When Cas listed the names of the prophets in an earlier episode, why did he never mention Donatallo or Tony Alvarez (thanks to kate38 for that one!)?
- In the video that Sam shows Dean and Cas of Donatello speaking Enochian (filmed by Donatello's doctor), Donatello is not being kept alive by the ventilator, which he supposedly needs to live, because if he were hooked up to it, he wouldn't be able to speak. So how was he able to NOT be on the ventilator when his doctor filmed him?
- When a prophet is in a comatose state, the next prophet can be activated, only not in the right way. It still seems the only way to "activate" the next prophet is for the current prophet to actually die.
- Nick does not seem, in fact, to be looking for revenge for his family since, when faced with the ghost of his dead wife, he turned his back on her in favor of continuing his search for Lucifer.
- Sam considers Cas such an integral part of the family that he won't keep a secret for Dean from Cas.
- John "sent Dean away" when Dean was young and he and made John especially mad. Dean wanted to make sure Sam knew he wasn't leaving Sam when he disappeared like that.
- Sam claims he's left some of his childhood struggles in the past.
- Dean still doesn't like to "do" goodbyes.
- Sam is still the only one who can talk Dean down from a self-destructive plan; the one who can remind him what's truly important and that he needs to believe in them as much as Sam does.
- The Impala has (or was outfitted with) a trailer hitch!
- Dean still feels like he wasn't always the best brother to Sam, even though Sam disagrees.
- Nick's wife Sarah has been bound to their house, as a ghost, ever since her murder.
- Nick is wanted for murder in four jurisdictions.
- This is the first time Nick has returned to his original home since he was possessed by Lucifer in "Sympathy for the Devil".
- This is the first time we've seen that the Impala has a trailer hitch or a trailer (to tow the Ma'Lak box).
- Cas uses his vessel's last name "Novak" as an alias when posing as a doctor at Donatello's nursing facility.
- Tony Alvarez, like Donatello, was NOT one of hte future prophets named by Crowley in "A Little Slice of Kevin".
- Tony the prophet's first victim was drowned in saltwater, just as Dean was planning to drown himself.
- Tony the prophet committed suicide, just as Dean was planning to do (even did it with DEAN'S gun).
- Too many comments about how Donatello was "trapped in his own body" (like Dean would be at the bottom of the ocean if he went through with his plan), how someone was drowning, how someone was giving up...too many references to Dean's situation to name them all.
- Dean states that Tony the prophet "went all Hannibal"; a reference to serial killer Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.
No music of note in this episode.