Airdate: January 24, 2019
Directed by: Phil Sgriccia
Written by: Davey Perez
|Dean's odd behavior causes Sam and Mary to question his sudden desire to visit Mary in Hibbing, Minnesota. As they discover his plan, their worst fears are realized, and Dean must ask Sam to make an impossible choice.
Meanwhile, Nick finally closes in on the answers he's been seeking, but his quest for the truth puts Mary and Sheriff Donna in danger.
- Donna to Dean: “Any more questions?”
Donna: “Just wondering if you’ve run out of ways to ask me how I’m doing, so as to avoid me repaying the favor.”
- Dean to Mary: “Two terrible cooks teaming up – what could possibly go wrong?”
- Mary to Dean: “Sometimes I forget just how much I missed while I was gone, and how much the two of you just…”
Dean to Mary: ”But you’re here now, right? And even though the last couple years have been a little rough, just knowing that you’re around – that you’re alive…Mom, that’s meant everything to me, and everything to Sam.”
- Dean to Mary: “Everybody keeps asking how I am. And how I am is I don’t wanna talk about it. Please.”
- Sam to Dean (Defending his treatment of Nick): “It’s not about being.dumb, Dean. It’s called compassion. Look, what happened to Nick could’ve happened to me. It almosthappened to me. You change one little thing in our past and that was me. Lucifer wearing meto the prom.”
Dean to Sam: “When people are past the point of saving, maybe you need to learn to walk away.”
- Sam to Nick: “Why?”
Nick to Sam: “I needed the truth, Sam. I needed revenge for my family. You would’ve done the same thing.”
- Nick to Sam: “You couldn’t fix me ‘cause I don’t wanna be fixed. I was never broken.”
Sam to Nick: “Yeah. You are.”
- Sam to Dean: “You were gonna leave, and you weren’t even gonna tell me? Me? Do you realize how messed up that is? How unfairthat is?
Dean to Sam: “I didn’t have a choice. Sam, you’re the last person I could tell…the last person I could be around, because you’re the only one who could’ve talked me out of it. And I won’t be talked out of it. I won’t.”
(Sheriff Donna Hanscum)
Damaged Goods Main Cast
- Will Nick be at peace now that he knows the demon who killed his family is dead? Or will he now want revenge against Lucifer because he’s the one who ordered the hit?
- Will Sam actually help Dean go through with his plan, or will they find another solution before it’s too late to save Dean?
- If Dean does go ahead with his plan, will it work? What will be the consequences if he locks himself up with Michael?
- Was Nick telling Sam the truth? Would Sam have murdered innocent people to get revenge for the murder of someone he loved?
- After Mary was resurrected in season 11, she did some hunting on her own, during which she trapped Abraxas in an Enochian puzzle box and established a storage locker in Grand Rapids, Minnesota to keep cursed and dangerous objects.
Mary booby-trapped her storage locker very much like John did, with a trip wire that triggers a shot gun
- Although Bobby and Mary are still working on their relationship, Bobby needed some time alone to deal with his son’s recent death, so he's not currently staying with Mary at Donna's cabin
- Donna seems to share Dean’s love of junk food
- Donna has been splitting her time between helping Jody train the girls and performing her regular duties as sheriff
- Donna’s ex boyfriend, Doug, is working a private security job in Duluth, Minnesota
- When Dean was young, Mary used to make a dish she called “Winchester surprise”. The ingredients aren’t mentioned in the episode as it aired, but the dish apparently includes large amounts of cheese and meat
- Unlike Sam, who always forgets the pie, Mary remembered to get pie!
- Donna still has 8-track tapes in her shed, and a player that still works
- If Nick is telling the truth, the demons are keeping track of the Winchesters’ whereabouts (including Mary's) because they’re such a threat
- Mary trapped Abraxas after he and another demon had murdered most of the members of a Girl Scout troop. Mary saved the last girl and fought Abraxas but couldn’t kill him, so she locked him in an Enochian puzzle box. The other demon ran off
- Mary has an anti-possession tattoo on her ribcage
- If Abraxas was telling the truth, there was nothing special about Nick. Lucifer simply needed a vessel, so he ordered Abraxas to kill Nick’s family to get Nick to say "yes" to possession
- Billie gave Dean instructions for building a malak box; a casket-type of box that nothing - not even an archangel -- can escape from
- The books Dean took from the Men of Letters’ library included Fallen Angels, andMaria Prophetissima Historia Achangeli. The second book may refer to Maria the Prophetess (also referred to as Maria the Jewess) who supposedly lived sometime between 100 and 300 AD and is purported to have invented alchemy
- In the original script for this episode, the ingredients for Winchester surprise are mentioned, but that discussion was deleted during editing, so the viewing audience never got to hear what the actual ingredients are
- Donna tells Dean that Jody and the girls took down a vetala nest in a recent hunt, but we learned in season 7 (Adventures in Babysitting) that vetalas tend to hunt in pairs, not nests
- Donna said that Nick's van was reported stolen from Missoula, Montana; but the van's license plates don't look like Montana plates. They have a dark blue background with white lettering. The closest matches to those colors are Connecticut or British Columbia, Canada (where the show is filmed)
- Dean jokes with Mary about being a terrible cook, but historically, Dean is a very good cook
- Nelson Leis, the actor who played Jeff (the storage facility clerk) also played an angel in season 8 "The Great Escapist"
- Sam was using the Book of Jubilees to research archangels. The Book of Jubilees is a collection of ancient Jewish writings that was also well known to early Christians
- Dean commented to Mary that he was "hangry"; a combination of hungry and angry -- referring to someone who is irritable from hunger
- Donna refers to the large knife in Nick's van as an "Arkansas toothpick", alluding to a 20-inch dagger purportedly invented by James Black -- the same man who invented the Bowie knife
- Donna had a mobile fingerprint scanner in her car. These devices exist and some are used by law enforcement. Prices vary, but each unit can cost a few thousand dollars. It would likely be considered a large purchase for a small-town sheriff's department
- Dean and Donna ate at the “Hungry Beaver” burger joint located on the shore of Swan Lake. The writers may have been foreshadowing what will happen to Dean in upcoming episodes by alluding to the Tchaikovsky 1876 ballet "Swan Lake", in which the main characters (Prince Seigfried and Odette) drown in a lake and are reunited in the hereafter
- There is a town called Swan Lake in Minnesota. It's about 5 hours southwest of Hibbing
- Malak" is a Turkish word for angel. The concept of a malak box that can keep an angel imprisoned is apparently fictional
- "No Time" - by The Guess Who (plays as Dean is building the malak box)
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.