Episode 11.20: Don't Call Me Shurley
Episode Title: The Chitters
Air date: April 27, 2016
Directed by: Eduardo Sanchez
Written by: Nancy Won
In a small town in Colorado, mysterious disappearances happen every 27 years. Sam and Dean head to the town to investigate and meet two hunters who have a personal vendetta against these once-in-a-generation monsters.
- SLEEPING IS THE NEW SMOKING
WHAT? NO IT'S NOT. IT'S SITTING. SITTING IS THE NEW SMOKING.
THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT.
- YOU KNOW KARMA'S BEEN KICKING US IN THE TEETH LATELY.
- YOU SAYING IT WAS JUNKLESS?
- GREEN EYES, BUZZING...WEED ALONE DOESN'T COJURE UP THAT KIND OF SCENARIO. ISN'T THAT RIGHT, SAM?
DUDE, I WAS 18.
IT WAS COLLEGE. IT WAS PROBABLY OREGANO ANYWAYS.
YOU'RE AN IDIOT.
- HOLD UP, WE'RE NOT ACTUALLY GOING TO GO WITH "JUNKLESS" ON THIS, ARE WE?...THAT'S A NEW LOW, EVEN FOR
- LET'S PICK UP A SIX PACK.
- WHAT'S IT LIKE SETTLING DOWN WITH A HUNTER?
SMELLY. DIRTY. TWICE AS WORRYING ABOUT GETTING GANKED.
- COULDN'T DO IT, HUH?
NAH, IT DIDN'T FEEL RIGHT.
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. TWO HUNTERS TO MAKE IT TO THE FINISH LINE?
YEAH, YOU LEAVE THAT ALONE.
- Was this some kind of foreshadowing? And which was does that go? One brother living with the loss of another? Or two hunters getting to make it to retirement?
- When will they finally get a break on Cas or Amara?
- Why is Sam so attractive to the widows they interview?
- Will Jesse feel better after he gets his revenge?
- Will the horse ranching work out for Cesar and Jesse? Or will Jesse have to support Cesar in retirement and go back to work as an EMT?
- Sam did drugs (or smoked something) at least once while away at college and Dean knows about it.
- Sam continues to be super-attractive to the women they interview. Dean continues to be amused.
- There are pairs of hunters out there who are gay and a couple.
- This show is not afraid to put forth that a boy can know he is gay at a relatively young age.
- Dean liked Cesar and Jesse so much that he considers asking them to help he and Sam with their bigger problems; Amara and Cas. But, in the end, says it "didn't feel right" to ask.
- There exists some monster that is a hybrid of acicada and a human.
- Dean and Sam are both 100% okay with a male couple.
- Dean and Sam seem pretty excited to meet a new pair of hunters who really know their stuff. They know way more about this case than Sam and Dean do.
- There are hunters who operate mostly in Mexico that Sam and Dean don't know.
- Valin Shinyei, the actor who played young Jesse in this episode, is the brother of Gracyn Shinyei, one of the actresses who played young Amara.
- The actor who played young Jesse also played one of the ghost children years ago in The Real Ghostbusters episode (interestingly enough; one of the otherSupernatural episodes that dealt with a gay couple.
- Jesse and his older brother, Matty, were 4 years apart in age -- just like Sam and Dean Winchester.
- Sam smoked marijuana in college when he was 18.
- At the start of this episode, Castiel has been missing for about one week.
- Many connections can be made between Jesse and his missing brother Matty and Sam and Dean; much is said about how devastating it is to lose someone you love like that...you're never the same andyou can never REALLY get revenge (at least not that will make you feel okay about the loss). We wonder if this is a warning to how the season will end (with one brother losing the other one)?
- It's become a running joke; what will Dean name the next "new" monster? Sam can't believe he might just call this one "junkless".
- Some may seesimilarities between Jesseand Cesar and the fact that Sam and Dean are often perceived by others as a couple. After they just talked about perhaps wondering what it would be like to "settle down with another hunter" in the Baby episode, Dean gets to ask an actual hunting couple here what it's like.
- There's been talk of Sam and Dean's "retirement" alluded to throughout this season; as when Sam grabbedthe retirement home brochure and put it away in his box of important stuff he keeps. Now they get to actually watch a couple go off into retirement and Dean is so happy for them that he can't bring himself to ask them to stay around andhelp them with Cas and Amara.
- Cesar comments that he hates it when he loses his blade in a fight. This reminded me of the discussion Sam and Dean had back in Real Ghostbusters about putting their weapons on bungees.
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.
EPISODE # 20: Don't Call Me Shurley