Airdate: October 25, 2018
Directed by: Robert Singer
Written by: Robert Berens
|Dean's homecoming at the bunker is short-lived when he finds a scar on his arm and can't remember how it got there. His quest for answers intensifies when the brothers learn that Sheriff Jody Mills is investigating a series of murders involving a weapon that creates identical wounds.
Meanwhile, Jack and Castiel work together to save an innocent girl from a witch's hex.
- Dean to Sam - "How can I be running fromsomething when I'm racing towards it?"
- Sam to Dean - "You said you let Michael in and then...bang. You're back in a blink. But for me, you were gone -- for weeks. I didn't know if you were alive...I...I just need you to talk to me. Just slow down so I can catch up."
- Sam to Jody (about Dean) - "Only thing I know -- he's not ready to work this case."
Jody to Sam - "Maybe. Maybe he needs it."
(Sheriff Jody Mills)
(Kaia and AU-Kaia)
|Catherine Lough Haggquist
The Scar Main Cast
- Where is Michael now? Why did he suddenly leave Dean's vessel? What does he have his monster army doing, besides looking for AU-Kaia and her weapon?
- What's going on with Nick now? Now that he's murdered his neighbor, will he return to the bunker? Will he continue searching for the murderer? Will he tell Castiel and the Winchesters that he killed someone?
- Why can AU-Kaia's weapon hurt an archangel? Is it enchanted somehow? Michael said he could feel its power, so where does that power come from?
- Jack was planning to run away for many of the same reasons Laura ran (rebelling against house rules, resenting being treated like a child, etc.). Will he stay now that he feels more valuable?
- What's wrong with Jack? Is he sick because he doesn't have his grace? Or is his illness somehow related to the witch's curse? How long will it take Castiel and the others to realize how sick he is? What will they have to do to save him?
- Sam has clearly taken charge of the other hunters, but seems embarrassed.when they call him "Chief"
- AU-Kaia and her spear emit energy that Michael (and perhaps other angels??) can detect
- AU-Kaia is a dreamwalker. She and Kaia had a connection that allowed them to see into each other's lives
- AU-Kaia accidentally killed Kaia while trying to kill Claire
- Jody implied that Claire is gay and that Kaia was her first love
- Jody is afraid that if Claire realizes Kaia's killer is alive and in this world, she'll fly off the handle, track AU-Kaia down and kill her
- Michael is sending his monsters after Au-Kaia to get her spear, because it's one of the few weapons that can hurt him. He offered AU-Kaia a place in his army, but she refused
- Because Dean allowed himself to be possessed by Michael, he blames himself for the harm Michael is doing in the world
- Dean teased Sam about his beard, saying "Duck Dynasty" wants it back. Duck Dynasty was a popular reality show (2012 - 2017)about a family of hillbillies (the Robertson family) that becomes wealthy by selling duck calls and decoys. The jokes in this scene were a further play on the real-world relationships between Jared, Jensen, and the Robertsons. Jensen and Jared were both fans of the show; Jared's wife talked on social media about how she enjoyed the books written by the Robertson family members; and Jensen's brewery in Austin, Texas has a food truck on the grounds that is owned by the Robertsons. The Supernatural fandom spent a considerable amount of time during the summer before season 14 aired discussing Jared's "grief beard" and how long he would keep it
- In this episode, Dean finds a scar on his right arm. This may remind some fans of the scene from Lazarus Rising (season 4) in which Dean finds a brand on his LEFT arm, from where Castiel grabbed him and pulled him out of hell:
- Jensen also has a large tattoo on his left arm that was expertly covered by the makeup artists and careful filming/editing for the tee shirt scene in The Scar:
- Jody's murder victims were found in the general area where Minnehaha County SD, Turner County SD, and Lincoln County SD meet. This area would cover over 60 miles and would be extremely difficult to search on foot
- Dean asks Castiel to use his "Vulcan mind meld thing" to read his mind. The concept of the Vulcan mind meld is from the sci-fi television series Star Trek (1966-1969). In the show, Vulcans are an alien species that can read minds
- Jack asks if Laura is like "Sleeping Beauty". Sleeping Beauty was derived from a 14th century fable about a princess who is cursed and falls into a deep sleep, to be awakened by a kiss from a prince. Later adaptations included a fairy tale version by the Brothers Grimm, a Tchaikovsky ballet, and a 1959 Walt Disney animated film
- Jody commented that Claire has been "sitting shiva" at the site where the inter-dimensional rift was opened. Sitting shiva is a Jewish funeral custom in which the family of the deceased receives other mourners at home for a period of seven days
- "Broom Hilda" is a newspaper comic strip character who is a witch
- Dean joked that they don't know Michael's favorite Spice Girl. The Spice Girls were a popular 1990's-era British girl band
- Robert Leroy Anderson was a murderer who was sentenced to death in 1999 for two murders. He hanged himself in his prison cell in 2003. The reference to Anderson also alludes to Sam's hobby of memorizing serial killer statistics. We first learned of his hobby in"The Executioner's Song"(season 10)
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.