Episode: Season 14, Episode 4
airdate: November 1, 2018
directed by Amyn Kaderali
written by Davy Perez
|In an effort to get Dean out of his post-Michael-possession funk (and aversion to a bunker full of Apocalypse World refugees), Sam finds a hunt for them where an comic store employee was injured by an action figure that comes to life. More than an action figure comes to life when Sam and and Dean investigate and they are put in mortal danger trying to solve the mystery.|
- I HAVE SEEN YOU GET WINDED EATING A TACO.
- Samantha to Stuart
- OH WOW. I MEAN, IT'S SO SMOOTH. LIKE A DOLPHIN'S BELLY.
- Dean to Sam when Sam shaved his beard
- HUH. SHE'S LIKE YOUR TWIN.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
HER..SOFT, DELICATE FEATURES, LUXUIROUS HAIR...SHE'S LIKE YOUR WONDER TWIN.
- Sam, skeptically.
MEET IN REAL LIFE.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?
- I LOVE THE INTERNET. WHERE EVERYONE CAN BE A DICK.
- GROWING UP IT WAS ALWAYS NICE TO CHECK OUT ONCE IN AWHILE.
- WHERE'D YOU LEARN TO DO THIS?
I HAD A MESSED UP CHILDHOOD.
- GOTTA ADMIT IT DIDN'T GO EXACTLY LIKE I THOUGHT.
WAIT A MINUTE, I JUST WENT TOE TO TOE WITH DAVID FRIGGIN' YEAGER - THAT WAS AWESOME.
YEAH, IT WASN'T REALLY -
DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME.
- I DON'T BLAME YOU. NO ONE BLAMES YOU. YOU GOTTA TRY TO STOP BLAMING YOURSELF.
- Sam to Dean
- OKAY, SERIOUSLY, WHY? WHY DO YOU HATE HALLOWEEN? WHAT IS IT? WAS IT THE TIME I ATE ALL
YOUR HALLOWEEN CANDY?
WAS IT SOMETHING DAD DID?
- I ENDED UP HIDING OUT IN THE WOODS UNTIL YOU FINALLY CAME AND GOT ME.
- Sam to Dean about his mortifying Halloween party experience in 6th grade
- Dean: YOU GOTTA GET OVER THAT...ALRIGHT, THIS IS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO...THIS TIME NEXT
YEAR, WE'RE DOING HALLOWEEN RIGHT. I'M THINKING MATCHING OUTFITS LIKE BATMAN AND ROBIN.Sam: NODean: BERT AND ERNIE, NO, THAT'S WEIRD.Sam: YESDean: AH, ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE. SHAGGY AND SCOOBY!Sam: DEAN - WHY WOULD WE? -Dean: TURNER AND HOOCH. REN AND STIMPY.Sam: COME ON.Dean: THELMA AND LOUISE.Sam: THELMA AND LOUISE?Dean: WE JUST PUT IT IN DRIVE AND GO.
|Aaron Paul Stewart
|Barry Nerling - actor and stunt man
- Did Sam shave his beard just because Dean likes him better without it (Sam himself seemed to like it)?
- Will Dean ever get used to having a bunker full of Apocalypse World refugees around?
- Did Dean mean something more ominous about the end of the show when he suggested that he and Sam go as Thelma and Louise for Halloween 2019? Was that some kind of hint at how and when the show will end?
- Still wondering, WHY did Michael just "leave" Dean as a vessel, where did he go, and what is he up to???
- Still wondering from last week, WHY is Jack coughing up blood and why did we not see Jack at all in this episode? We only hear that Cas is out with Jack and Jack is learning the ropes.
- Why did the life-sized Hatchet Man figure speak and why did the lights flicker at the end of this episode after Sam successfully burned the cursed object and we saw the spirit leave the mannequin?
- Why did they throw in the fake movie trailer with clips that we had already seen throughout the episode?
- Is Dean coming around to the idea of Sam being more of a leader for the Apocalypse World residents of the bunker? When he calls Sam "Chief" at the end of the episode, it was not overly sarcastic.
- We finally find out why Sam hates Halloween so much...and it's a bit of a let-down, but he claims he was very nervous to attend the Halloween party of a girl he liked in school and ended throwing up while bobbing for apples, thus embarrassing himself and scarring him for life. Sweetly, he hid in the woods at that party, mortified, until Dean came to get him.
- Dean wants to "do Halloween right" with Sam "next year" (2019) and suggests a variety of couples costumes they could choose, including, ominously, his last suggestion of "Thelma and Louise".
- Dean loves old 80's slasher movies because he watched lots of them when he was young and wanted to "check out" of their lives for awhile; escaping into the movies.
- Dean has an encyclopedic knowledge of 80's slasher movies.
- Dean's wearing novelty socks printed with bowls of Asian noodles when he's seen lounging in his room in the bunker.
- Dean's first guesses at why Sam hates Halloween so much are #1; blaming himself for eating Sam's Halloween candy and then immediately going to #2; was it something dad did? We get the feeling that John had a LOT to do with Sam and Dean's childhood disappointments.
- Sam thinks it's cool to blow things up, or to make homemade explosives that work.
- The actress who played comic book store employee Samantha also appeared as a child actor in Supernatural's season 1 episode (and fifth episode ever) Bloody Mary. Her character in that one was Lily Shoemaker.
- The character Samantha wears the same kind of jacket that Jared Padalecki wore in a Halloween photoshoot for Entertainment Weekly in 2017.
- There is a life-sized Red Hood figure in the comic book store; Jensen voiced the character of Red Hood in a 2010 animated film "Batman: Under the Red Hood". Jensen also posed in this costume for Halloween right before this episode aired.
- There is a poster in the comic book store for the 2005 movie House of Wax in which Jared Padalecki appeared.
- Sam uses a Scooby Doo lunchbox to blow open the locked comic book store door; referencing the ScoobyNatural episode of Supernatural in season 13.
- During the trailed for Slasher Week, playing at the comic book store, there's a brief appearance of the "racist" truck from the Supernatural episode Route 666 from season one.
- There is a photo on the wall of the comic book store of a cosplayer dressed as Power Girl. That person is @arachnobite who is a set dresser on the show and also created the Red Hood costume Jensen is wearing above.
- Sam uses a Cthulhu figuring/statue to try to smash through the door of the store. This season 13 episode "The Thing" written by Davy Perez was influenced by H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu.
- There is a poster in the store for "Hell Hazers II: The Reckoning" which was the movie being made in the season two episode Hollywood Babylon. The poster references a bunch of real-life Supernatural crew members.
- The comic book store employees were meant to mirror Sam (Samantha), Dean (Dirk ), and Cas (Stuart).
- "Electric Love" - by Keel (plays when Dean is watching the Hatchet Man movie)
Scroll down to see threads associated with this episode.