Episode 11.15: Beyond the Mat
Episode Title: The Vessel
Air date: February 17, 2016
Directed by: John Badham
Written by: Robert Berens
In this nail-biter, Sam learns of a supernatural weapon that may help in the fight against Amara. But getting to it means traveling back in time to World War II, boarding a submarine that is destined to sink, and getting off the ship before it is attacked.
- Delphine: "The Men of Letters send their regards."
- Sam: "So, you expect me to sit here and ride the pine while you and Cas go play Jules Verne?"
- Dean: "A little early for Nazi trivia -- especially without caffeine."
|Weronika Rosati ("Delphine")||Darren Dolynski ("Captain Dearborne")|
|Grant Harvey ("Giraldi")||Richard Stroh ("Peter")|
- How will Dean and Sam save Castiel?
- Does Castiel want to be saved? Or does he still believe Lucifer is their best weapon against the Darkness?
- Are there other "hand of god" weapons? Maybe some hidden in the bunker?
- Could the presumably dead "hand of god" weapon still have any power?
- Sam and Dean now know that Castiel is Lucifer's vessel.
- Several "hand of god" weapons may still be in existence.
- Lucifer has decided that Sam is no longer valuable enough to keep alive; he seems to think Dean still has value, but did not hesitate to hurt him.
- Dean was incorrect. The St.Louis Cardinals won the 1944 World Series.
- In season 6 "Frontierland", Castiel touched Bobby's soul to gain enough power to retrieve Dean and Sam from the past.
- Thule die as easily as humans, but they resurrect if their remains are not burned.
- While being held prisoner by Lucifer, Crowley is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a t-shirt that says "Be Happy".
- Going "Full on Raiders" is a reference to the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark" which deals with finding the Ark of the Covenant.
- Jules Verne authored the novel 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
- "Rosie the Riveter" was initially an Uncle-Sam like campaign icon, but she came to represent women who entered the work force to support America's war effort during World War II.
- Flash Gordon was a popular comic book superhero whose story takes place in the future.
- James Cameron co-designed and piloted a submersible that reached the bottom of Challenger Deep -- the deepest part of the Marianas Trench. He has participated in many underwater explorations.
- Edith Piaf -- "Non, je ne regrette rien" (translation: "No, I regret nothing") plays when Delphine and Peter are alone, and again at the end of the episode when Dean is alone on the dock.
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.