Episode 11.15: Beyond the Mat
Episode Title: The Vessel
Air date: February 17, 2016
Directed by: John Badham
Written by: Robert Berens
In this nail-biter, Sam learns of a supernatural weapon that may help in the fight against Amara. But getting to it means traveling back in time to World War II, boarding a submarine that is destined to sink, and getting off the ship before it is attacked.
- Delphine: "The Men of Letters send their regards."
- Sam: "So, you expect me to sit here and ride the pine while you and Cas go play Jules Verne?"
- Dean: "A little early for Nazi trivia -- especially without caffeine."
|Weronika Rosati ("Delphine")||Darren Dolynski ("Captain Dearborne")|
|Grant Harvey ("Giraldi")||Richard Stroh ("Peter")|
- How will Dean and Sam save Castiel?
- Does Castiel want to be saved? Or does he still believe Lucifer is their best weapon against the Darkness?
- Are there other "hand of god" weapons? Maybe some hidden in the bunker?
- Could the presumably dead "hand of god" weapon still have any power?
- Sam and Dean now know that Castiel is Lucifer's vessel.
- Several "hand of god" weapons may still be in existence.
- Lucifer has decided that Sam is no longer valuable enough to keep alive; he seems to think Dean still has value, but did not hesitate to hurt him.
- Dean was incorrect. The St.Louis Cardinals won the 1944 World Series.
- In season 6 "Frontierland", Castiel touched Bobby's soul to gain enough power to retrieve Dean and Sam from the past.
- Thule die as easily as humans, but they resurrect if their remains are not burned.
- While being held prisoner by Lucifer, Crowley is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a t-shirt that says "Be Happy".
- Going "Full on Raiders" is a reference to the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark" which deals with finding the Ark of the Covenant.
- Jules Verne authored the novel 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
- "Rosie the Riveter" was initially an Uncle-Sam like campaign icon, but she came to represent women who entered the work force to support America's war effort during World War II.
- Flash Gordon was a popular comic book superhero whose story takes place in the future.
- James Cameron co-designed and piloted a submersible that reached the bottom of Challenger Deep -- the deepest part of the Marianas Trench. He has participated in many underwater explorations.
- Edith Piaf -- "Non, je ne regrette rien" (translation: "No, I regret nothing") plays when Delphine and Peter are alone, and again at the end of the episode when Dean is alone on the dock.