Airdate: November 16, 2017
Directed by: Nina Lopez-Corrado
Written by: Davy Perez
|Soon after reuniting with Castiel, the Winchesters investigate a ghoul case. Jack tries to help, but accidentally kills someone, which leads him to make a drastic decision.|
- I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY.
- SAM TO CAS
I DO. WELCOME HOME, PAL.
- DEAN TO CAS
- TWO SALTY HUNTERS, ONE HALF ANGEL KID, A DUDE THAT JUST CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD; TEAM FREE WILL 2.0,
HERE WE GO.
- HE REALLY LIKES COWBOYS.
- JACK TO CAS ABOUT DEAN
YES. YES HE DOES.
- CAS TO JACK
- I TOLD YOU. HE'S AN ANGRY SLEEPER. LIKE A BEAR.
- CAS TO JACK ABOUT DEAN
- SO WHAT DO WE TELL ATHENA?
OH, WE KEEP IT SIMPLE. TELL HER THE GUY SHE'S BANGING, EATS DEAD PEOPLE AND WE'RE HERE TO KILL HIM. OR
WE COULD LIE.
YEAH, WE DEFINITELY LIE.
- HEY, HOW'D IT GO?
THE USUAL. KILLED THE BAD GUY. SAVED THE GIRL.
(Sgt. Joe Phillips)
(Lenny: security guard)
|Name: Dave Mather|
|Motivation: Eats corpses, steals from caskets to support himself|
|Fate: Killed by Dean Winchester and Sgt. Phillips|
- Why didn't the Winchesters test Castiel with silver/salt/holy water when he miraculously returned?
- Why wasn't Castiel able to heal the security guard?
- Where will Jack go? Is he experienced enough to protect himself? Will he kill another innocent? Asmodeus is already looking for him, but who else may come after him?
- How long will it take the Winchesters to realize that something is off with Castiel?
- Jack watched the Winchesters enough to learn some things about hunting, and wants to help them work cases.
- Jack sleeps very little.
- Castiel feels guilty that he wasn't here when Jack was born.
- When Kelly was still pregnant with Jack, he remembers Castiel being around and feeling safe because Castiel was there.
- Dean sometimes wakes up grumpy.
- According to Sam, graveyards always have EMF.
- Jack has angel wings and can teleport angel-style. In "Rising Son", we saw him teleport because he was upset, but it wasn't clear that he was using angel wings to do it.
- Dodge City, Kansas was settled around 1847 and became a town in 1871.
- When Dean and Sgt. Phillips are in the cemetery, we see a large mausoleum with the name "Lopez" above the entrance. This may have been a nod to director Nina Lopez-Corrado.
- Dean and Castiel posed as Texas Rangers. The Texas rangers are based in Austin, Texas and only have statewide jurisdiction. Their authority wouldn't extend to crimes committed in Kansas, but local law enforcement might be inclined (as a courtesy) to provide limited information or assistance.
- Dean and Sam met Castiel at "Bison Buds" bar. This is a fictional establishment, but it has appeared in several episodes of Supernatural, including "Death Takes a Holiday" (season 4) and "Holy Terror" (season 9).
- Dean's interest in cowboys and the Old West was also a prominent focus of "Frontierland" (season 6).
- The Winchesters stayed at the Stampede Motel and RV Park. There is a real Stampede RV Park, but it's in Tombstone, Arizona. There's also a Stampede Motel in Elko, Nevada.
- Dean comments that you can kill a ghoul by bashing its brains in. He actually killed one that way in "Jump the Shark" (season 4).
- Athena owned the River Brook Funeral Home.
- Dave robbed the Stagecoach Credit Union.
- During the bank robbery scene, when Jack tries to stop the ghoul, Alexander mistakenly switches raised arms:
- "Tombstone" was a popular western action film released in 1993. The story was set in Tombstone, Arizona and featured famous western legends including Wyatt Earp (played by Kurt Russell) and Doc Holliday (played by Val Kilmer). Dean and Castiel use these aliases (Russell and Kilmer) when they pose as Texas Rangers in this episode. Also, Castiel recalls that the movie dealt with guns and tuberculosis. In the film, Doc Holliday has tuberculosis. In real life, he died from the disease in 1887. Castiel was also correct that Doc Holliday said "I'm your huckleberry" to Johnny Ringo right before he shot and killed the outlaw. According to the Urban Dictionary, "I'm your huckleberry" means "I'm the one you're looking for."
- The Winchesters stayed in the "Wild Bill" suite at the Stampede Motel. Wild Bill Hickok (1837- 1876) was a well known lawman, scout, and gunfighter.
- Clay Allison (1840 - 1887) was a well known cattle rancher and gunfighter.
- Curly Bill Brocius was an outlaw and a member of the Cochise County Cowboys gang. As Dean commented, Brocius was killed by Wyatt Earp in 1882.
- Johnny Ringo was a well-known gunfighter in the Tombstone, Arizona area and elsewhere. He died mysteriously in July, 1882 from a gunshot to the head. But it's unclear who killed him.
- Sam and Castiel used aliases "Paxton and Elliott" referring to Bill Paxton and Sam Elliott, who played Morgan and Virgil Earp in the 1993 Western, "Tombstone".
- Athena mentioned going to an Amanda Palmer concert. Amanda Palmer is a singer, songwriter, and member of the duo The Dresden Dolls.
- Athena applied to the prestigious (and fictitious) Ben Carruth school of makeup and special effects. Ben Carruth was special makeup effects coordinator for Supernatural in 2015 and 2016 and worked on 10 episodes of the show.
- "Mysterious" Dave Mather (born 1851) was a lawman and gunfighter, who served as assistant marshall in Dodge City, Kansas for a time. The exact date and manner of his death are unknown.
- When Dean is crawling through the tunnel after the ghoul, he laments to himself about his predicament, smirking "Come to Dodge City. We'll have some laughs.". This is a reference to the 1988 action movie "Die Hard" in which the hero (police officer John McLane, played by Bruce Willis) is crawling through a ventilation duct and lamenting about how his trip to Los Angeles turned into a bad situation.
- "Space Cowboys" -- by the Steve Miller Band (plays when Dean and Castiel get out of the car wearing their cowboy hats)
- "They Call Me Zombie" -- by Messer Chups (plays at the mortuary when Sam and Jack meet Athena)
- "Hot Rod Rockin'" - by Thaddeus Rose and the Thorns (plays when Athena is in the mortuary and Dave sneaks up on her)
Click HERE to see the discussion thread for this episode.