Reply To: Let’s all talk about Heart (S2 E17)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Heart (S2 E17) / Reply To: Let’s all talk about Heart (S2 E17)

journalbookbinder
    October 4, 2021 at 12:30 pm #10167

I put it off and put it off and put it off until I was several weeks behind our scheduled re-watch, but I finally watched Heart.

Damn, it’s so good.

I LOVE MADISON! So smart, sympathetic, and as great an acting job as Jared did here, I think she even bested him for being natural in the role. Great chemistry with Jared too. I liked everything you didn’t, Kate. I did like her and sympathize with her as being a victim and an unknowing one. The part I had the hardest time with was her instant acceptance of her own death as the only way. That seems like a very fast change in her feelings. She didn’t even know she was killing people and she suddenly realizes that suicide (essentially) is the only way.

I also liked the misdirection. Was the werewolf her old boyfriend? Only to find out it was the guy who mugged her and the reveal that it’s HER is still a great surprise.

Jared was great here, but I still feel like Jensen outdid him with the final scene alone. She flinch is so damn perfect (thank you, Kim Manners) and the scene where Dean comes up behind Madison and gently takes the gun from her hand; indicating that he doesn’t want this job to fall to Sam, breaks my heart.

I thought it was really compelling and really good with such GREAT lighting and close angles.

But it kills me and it’s hard for me to watch because I hate to see them in pain. Of course it’s a metaphor for Sam feeling like he’s an un-save-able monster. That is sad too. I also appreciate the few moments of humor. Dean “working” in the strip club. Dean feeling surprised that Madison is clearly more interested in Sam than in him.

I think the underwear-on-the-table scene was not so much a sexual come-on. To me, Madison wanted Sam to relax. Asked if he wanted to sit on the couch. She didn’t. So she made it uncomfortable for him at the table so he WOULD move to the couch.

I don’t like the way they didn’t follow through with mythology. The lore around werewolves changes over the years. But I like it here.

I still teared up.