Let’s all Talk About Free to Be You and Me (S5 E3)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all Talk About Free to Be You and Me (S5 E3)

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 days, 1 hour ago by ✅ Transfer 56 023 $. Withdrаw => https://forms.yandex.com/cloud/65db118c43f74fe420ecbf03?hs=01667b610a5aa94412807c6a9a6c08cb& ✅.
  • Author
        November 19, 2022 at 8:31 pm #28851

I love it when they’re apart for awhile.  Season five is just SOOO good and I can’t wait to rewatch this one!

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          November 19, 2022 at 8:31 pm #30504

The opening sequence of this one is perfect. Them apart…kind of mirroring each other actions but doing completely different things. Sam slicing lemons in the bar and Dean slicing open a vampire. Sam cleaning the bar and Dean cleaning the blood off the Impala…all with “Simple Man” playing; it’s one of my favorite opening or montage scenes of the entire series.

I thought Lindsey wasn’t the best actress; but the part where she reveal that she’s a recovered alcoholic felt very honest.

Sam’s wearing his Supernatural Christmas inside-out print shirt in this one at the bar!

Sam waking up with Jessica was interesting. I remember on first watch I thought of course it had to be some kind of manipulation but wasn’t sure what. Of course it was Lucifer getting to him. Lucifer always seems to try to approach his vessels in a sympathetic or somehow emotionally seductive way. Kind of creepy to think that Sam kissed Jessica’s neck and it was actually Lucifer!

This one had one of the great Cas scenes of all time – Cas showing up right behind Dean, scaring him, then standing there almost nose-to-nose as Dean reminded him he needed personal space. The early writing of Cas was masterful. He really did come across and an otherworldly entity who really didn’t live by human rules.

The job with Cas and Dean was long and involved; trying to find and trap Michael. I was a little confused as I thought he was going to appear in the hospital (they put a ring around the empty vessel – I guess that was just for insurance? If they knew he’d show up in their empty house???). But I guess the body was just the “telephone” for the summoning.

I thought the actor playing Michael (or Michael’s vessel) was wonderfully ominous. I WISH they had kept that version of Michael throughout! Much later in AU Michael and much much later when Dean was finally possessed by him; I wish they had kept that very ominous quality. They didn’t.

Even on first watch I thought it was funny that they just left Michael there. I guess the magic oil is something that burns forever??? The next person who goes into that abandoned house is going to be surprised!

The storm, which I interpreted as Michael’s anger or power, was good. I didn’t remember that; the windows blowing out and it storming to such an extent that the rain blew completely INTO the house and Cas and Dean got completely soaked! I did love that Dean just will NOT stop mouthing off to these powerful entities. It’s the best. And Dean is rubbing off on Cas; when Cas called Michael “his bitch” – that was total Dean.

Dean taking Cas out to get laid didn’t necessarily age that well. Just the total objectification of women (though it was apparently a legal brothel operation?) was not that great. “This whole industry is built on absent fathers.” But it was kinda funny that Cas was trying to give the prostitute absolution and it totally undid her. Cas’ utter fear about a pending sexual encounter and Dean’s glee was fun. But that whole thing DID drive home the point that live with Sam, for Dean, has not been enjoyable. That he MIGHT be better off mentally without him right now.

I do love that Dean wanted his amulet back from Cas and seemed annoyed Cas wasn’t giving it to him – even with Sam apart from him, he wanted that amulet from Sam.

I am always amused that a soon-to-be-trapped-in-a-circle-of-oil archangel always just STANDS THERE and lets the oil fire up into a complete circle around them; they don’t try to escape!

The fight with the other hunters in the bar is good. Sam spitting out the demon blood. Is this meant to tell us that he HAS kicked the habit that he seemed to be struggling with back in the town with “War”?

Sam’s talk with Lucifer is a very good scene; when Lucifer reveals himself. Sam insist he’ll never say yes to Lucifer; he’ll kill himself first, but Lucifer says he’ll just bring him back and you can see the hopelessness on Sam’s face.

I really like the end where Dean is telling Cas that he’s better off alone. That he’s so much less worried about Sam all the time, that he can laugh, that he seems to have some of the weight off…and then Cas disappears and Dean really IS alone and then I wondered just how “alone” he really wanted to be. He kind of used Cas to fill in for Sam so he wasn’t that alone in this one…

Very decent episode. I do always tend to like it a bit when they are apart. Of course they are best together, but there are usually some good insights when they are separate.

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              November 19, 2022 at 8:31 pm #30811

“The opening sequence of this one is perfect. Them apart…kind of mirroring each other actions but doing completely different things. Sam slicing lemons in the bar and Dean slicing open a vampire. Sam cleaning the bar and Dean cleaning the blood off the Impala…all with “Simple Man” playing; it’s one of my favorite opening or montage scenes of the entire series.”

You’re right, JBB. That opening montage is Supernatural perfection! The only one I might enjoy more is “One Way or Another” in season 6, when the brothers are trying to encounter hazards so Fate will try to kill them. That one was hilarious :). But, “Simple Man” is the perfect choice for the montage in this episode.

Wow, funny that you remember that shirt from the Christmas episode. But of COURSE you would, because that ep is one of your favorites. I remember it from “Metamorphosis”, when Dean confronts Sam about using his psychic powers. It is a very memorable shirt.

Like you, I had a question about the holy oil scene. They “stole” a patient and set up that circle at sunrise; then, they were presumably at the hospital all day, because it was night time when they got back to the house. What kind of crap hospital doesn’t notice a patient MISSING for a full day? To answer your question, I suspect setting up another circle at the house was a backup plan in case the hospital thing didn’t work. Just my guess…

I didn’t really like Lindsey — I don’t know if it was the actress, the character, or both. I agree with you that the scene when she told Sam about her addiction seemed very genuine. Aside from that, I found her too pushy and overbearing. I get that she liked the guy, but something about the way she pursued him was a turnoff for me.

I liked Demore Barnes (I think that was his name) as Raphael, too! When he spoke, he was almost robotic and very creepy. Nicely done!

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              November 19, 2022 at 8:31 pm #30807

“Simple Man” is the first song I ever learned how to play on guitar, and this opening montage is the moment I fell in love with that song. I love everything about that montage – the parallels between the brothers’ lives is SO well done! And that final scene when Dean looks over at the empty seat where Sam should be…sigh…the first time I saw that, I got a lump in my throat.

I NEVER, NEVER get tired of seeing Dean and Cas together! I am NOT a Destiel person and I think the idea of Destiel is absurd, but the natural chemistry between these actors is undeniable. The “personal space” and brothel scenes crack me up every time.

I do miss how powerful angels used to be in the early seasons. One archangel manifests, and it blacks out the entire east coast. And being inhabited by an archangel is supposed to leave you a drooling mess, but somehow Dean and Nick both escaped that fate.  I also miss when Castiel used to be a bada&#, and when Luci used to be somewhat frightening. I get that the writers had to power down the angels a bit, but they ended up being almost completely different characters — and not in a good way.

kate

Reply | Quote
            • PigNaPoke
                November 19, 2022 at 8:31 pm #33357

I remember thinking the first time I watched this episode that Jessica must be Sam’s conscious talking to him and I felt so bad for him. Having the person you loved and still miss a lot really playing on your guilt and fear of your own darker nature and casually accusing you of getting her killed is brutal. I thought Jared played the mix of believing her words and still hoping to escape what he fears is his fate really well.

And at the very end when we find out it’s been Lucifer all along….that was a nice unexpected twist of the knife in the gut. When Sam still thinks it’s Jess, he looks so longing, it’s sweet! And I do like that he is MORE convinced that he CAN change and redeem himself than at the beginning of the episode.

PERFECT montage at the beginning to Simple Man. I agree with you both! The editing is SUPERB!

(LOVE SAM in the light gray v-necked tshirt!!)

I MISS awkward Cas!! He was SOOOO much more fun to watch at the beginning. He really got too human and soft for me in the later seasons. Here he is perfectly puzzled by humanity and still a little scary in his quiet power. And his slightly stiff manner and stilted choice of words was also perfect. And his lack of pop culture knowledge was endearing and funny. SIGH. I mean lines like “Where have you been?” “Jerusalem” “Oh, how was it?” “Arrid”  – come on….it’s GOLD!

Dean and Cas working a case together was quite entertaining. I loved the whole talk to the Deputy at the police station!

Lindsey IS ANNOYING. I have nothing against a strong female who knows what she wants and goes for the guy, but the way they wrote her was too college student flirty and nosy. She didn’t fit the pattern of other girls Sam was interested in so far and I didn’t see him responding to her with anything but friendly indifference. She’s way too pushy, kinda demands personal info about Sam she has no right, too, even when he CLEARLY wants to keep to himself…. All that made even the better scene with her telling Sam about her sober journey kinda flat for me. However, I do appreciate that she stayed pretty calm and collected amidst the fight with the other hunters! I am glad she wasn’t made into a screeching damsel in distress.

I always thought, although funny, that the brothel scene was a bit of a stretch. Nice that Dean wants to get Cas a fun experience, but I don’t see Dean actually frequenting a brothel himself. He doesn’t have to!! Dean fucking Winchester doesn’t PAY for sex. However, I DO like that nothing actually happens and the girl who takes Cas with her actually kicks him out. HEHE.

Raphael is very intimidating! Another QUIET presence that radiates power and an utter disregard for humanity it seems. I actually love the fact that angels we see caught in a burning ring of holy oil DON’T freak out or look around in a panic, because they KNOW it’s pointless and it shows how unconcerned with time they are. They can wait there, for help or whatever else might happen to disrupt the fire. Even if they have to wait til the floor crumbles from age….they have time. HA.

I LOOOOVE when Dean gets righteously PISSED at beings so much more powerful than he is and who he knows could kill him in an instant because these beings act carelessly about the earth and the people on it!!!! Dean CARES, so much, about everyone else but himself, and these moments always remind us of that core value he carries all the time. It is AWESOME to watch Dean talking to Raphael and heartbreaking at the same time. (And Jensen is a master at bringing this to life).  And I love seeing some of that rub off on Cas.

DID Lucifer bring Cas back???

I’m not a big fan of the whole fight with the returning hunters. How would they have gotten the idea that Sam would “hulk out” after drinking demon blood? From the demon the caught and tortured? Why would that demon say that? The whole thing always seems to me like a labored plot point of trying to show us that NOW Sam can withstand temptation of the blood. And even that really doesn’t work for me as he didn’t really make a choice. They forced the blood into his mouth and he spit some of it back out. OK. But that doesn’t read like an active turning away from it to me. And I didn’t believe for a minute that Sam would have actually killed the other hunters. So it didn’t work for me either that he looked at Lindsey and then lets the hunter go. Anyhow…didn’t like that scene much.

I know that Dean says he’s happier without Sam at the end, but I don’t buy it. He has less of a burden worrying about Sam all the time, that is true, but I understood that to not just mean the past fall out over the demon blood, Ruby and the Apocalypse, I think he meant it’s a relieve not having to worry about Sam at all for a bit because he’s been looking out for him his whole life. And this separation was one they BOTH wanted and felt was best. So there isn’t guilt on Dean’s part for leaving Sam OR anger about Sam leaving him. It’s just a break in a way they haven’t had. And having a little break every once in a while is good for ANY partnership.

Mark Pellegrino was SO GOOD as Lucifer in the beginning!!! Again, with the quiet, gentle, calm from a powerful angel!! It makes him SO scary because you can understand why people would give in to his argumentation.

I also think Jared is fantastic in this scene. Sam looks completely shocked to find out that he is Lucifer’s vessel! Shocked and dismayed. When he just was convinced that he had a chance to change and not give in to whatever darkness he carries, now he finds out that he was supposed to be cast as the major bad  in the apocalypse? It’s devastating. And you can feel all that from Jared’s performance.

GOOD episode! Season 5 got real intense real quick!

Reply | Quote
            Reply To:

Let’s all Talk About Free to Be You and Me (S5 E3)

Your information: