Let’s all talk about I Believe the Children are Our Future (S5 E6)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about I Believe the Children are Our Future (S5 E6)

• Author
        December 7, 2022 at 1:11 pm #33074

Jesse.  I LOVED antichrist child Jesse and thought this was a fascinating addition to the whole Biblical direction. SO DISAPPOINTED that this never went beyond this episode. But I remember loving this episode. Jesse stuck with me. Cool trivia that the child actor who played Jesse, Gattlin Griffith, got to act with Jensen again when he played Soldier Boy’s sidekick Gunpowder in the flashbacks on The Boys. I can’t wait to watch this one again.

I remember loving that this very innocent-looking child could be made to FEEL so dangerous.  When he turned Cas into an action figure; I remember thinking Dean had an “oh shit” moment when he realized how powerful this child was and I loved that.

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          December 7, 2022 at 1:11 pm #35226

I loved this again on rewatch. Jesse is perfect casting. His haunting eyes. He looked so innocent. You just felt for him. The casting of his mom was great too. She was sympathetic as an immaculate demon birth!

Sam and Dean wanting to save Jesse – Sam wanting Jesse to make his own choice and choose the right path – wanting someone else to make the right choice he couldn’t do believe it was possible – that was very sweet.

I still loved that “oh shit” moment when Jesse turned Cas into an action figure. It was cool how Jesse’s power was so effortless. And I have to give him credit for listening to Sam and Dean and wanting to protect his parents, but he didn’t want to be used by one side or the other so he just took himself off to Australia.

I also forgot about the whole itching powder and hand buzzer thing…how Jesse’s belief that they were deadly made them deadly, and as soon as he didn’t believe it anymore, they were harmless. Dean had a lot of trust in that theory to “buzz” Sam in the chest when the buzzer was previously deadly!

Jesse should have shown up in the final season if the final season had been written well. I always thought that character should have reappeared and it’s a crime that this was a one and done.

I loved watching Dean and Sam dealing with Jesse. They were trying to influence him…and were getting somewhere with the the “you’re a superhero” speech until the demon showed up and wrecked it. Bobby would have gotten a surprise to have that kid brought to his house! But I did like that they were unwilling to kill him even though Cas said they should.

Reply | Quote
        • PigNaPoke
            PigNaPoke
            December 7, 2022 at 1:11 pm #35379

I LOVE this one. It’s another perfect example how humor, tragedy, horror and action can be mixed into a great blend of entertainment on SPN. Just brilliant.

The case is so interesting and whacky. We are AS clueless as the Winchesters, and I like that. Every time they THINK they have it all figured out there is another twist.

Nicely gruesome makeup effect with the girl’s scratched up skull.

The whole bit with the joy buzzer and the never-ending ham is hilarious.

The joke shop owner with the Siegfried and Roy T-Shirt is excellently pathetic. And the melting rubber chicken was another cool effect.

I completely agree with the little girl about the tooth fairy situation but then I didn’t grow up with that tradition. Hehe.

The conversation about how the culprit has “Sense of humor of a nine-year-old” “….or you” is so totally Sam and Dean, it’s a delight.

It’s very interesting to me that most of the kids lies they used in this episode are obviously GLOBAL as I heard them ALL in Germany as well when I was little. Even the Pop Rocks and Coke thing! Odd how something like that spreads across the world…maybe through the Allied Forces during and after WWII?

Anyway, the first half of the episode is SO funny that it’s almost shocking when it turns so serious thereafter.

Jesse is such great character and the actor they picked really does an excellent job with the role. He is so old-soul and matter of fact that it’s easy to believe that he’s more or less raising himself while his parents work. I agree with you, JBB, that it’s a WASTE not bringing Jesse back for SOMETHING later on. There is so much potential in that character.

Then the story turns real dark and sad when we hear about what Jesse’s mother went through. She is really well written AND portrayed. What awful fate for the woman. And what an interesting concept for a demon possession to end with a pregnancy….That was new and unique.  And having her be repossessed later and become so cold-hearted and manipulative was an interesting turn of events. Nice range of that actress.

Next we learn about Jesse being the Antichrist and his powers and his role in the Apocalypse! WHOA, didn’t see that one coming a mile away. Nice twist. What an awesonme scene between Sam, Dean and Cas! Intense and kinda desperate. Especially the stand off between Cas and Sam with Sam pleading to give Jesse the opportunity to make the right choice and Cas saying “you didn’t”. OUCH! True, but….that stung. Just the idea of being put in a position where they might have to kill a child that has done nothing knowingly wrong and for Cas to be so unapologetic about it is CHILLING. (Then again, Cas was ready to nuke a whole town before).

I absolutely applaud Jared and Jensen for finding a way in their performance to show us very subtly that Dean and Sam teeter on the edge of fear or at least real worry when interacting with Jesse after they find out about his powers and after he turned Cas into a toy!

It’s so sad to watch Jesse learn about his possible fate and for him to have to make the horrible decision to leave on his own to protect his parents and essentially the world. But I am glad that Sam and Dean are telling him the whole truth and not try to manipulate him either way. Those scenes are very well played all around. Love the way Sam and Dean level with the kid in a gentle but straightforward way.

I always wondered if Cas is correct in the end when he says “Jesse turned everyone back to normal” before he vanished OR if Jesse’s simple disappearance was enough to turn reality back to normal?

That very last exchange between Sam and Dean here always bugged me! I wish they had written it a little differently. It just sounded all a little hollowly to me. I am sure Dean and Sam are not just now realizing why parents lie to their kids….they’ve been in this life for so long now and they have had plenty of cases with kids involved. I know the writers wanted to get to that last line of “The more I think about it…the more I wish Dad would’ve lied to us” from Dean and Sam’s agreement, but that, too, seems unlike them to me. If they at least had said “I wish Dad would have lied to us a little while longer” instead!!! That would imply that they would have liked a little longer childhood, but they also understand why John eventually involved them to be able to protect themselves. They have both stated as much before. The way it stands now is kinda pointless to me.

Other than that bit, the episode is GREAT.

Reply | Quote
        Reply To:

Let’s all talk about I Believe the Children are Our Future (S5 E6)

Your information: