Let’s all talk about Jus in Bello (S3 E12)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Jus in Bello (S3 E12)

• Author
        March 11, 2022 at 10:25 am #12583

Hendricksen is back. And it looks like Sam and Dean are screwed. As I recall, there was a lot in this episode. I always kind of cringed for them when Hendricksen shows up.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          March 11, 2022 at 10:25 am #12618

MAN, Hendriksen is an a-hole. Yeah, yeah, I know…tough FBI man blah blah. He doesn’t have to be so condescending to the local cops though.

I do appreciate him coming around after experiencing possession himself. Kinda hard to argue with that one. And by the end of this episode I was finally in a place where I would have liked to see him back at some point, now that he knew the truth. Oh well….
          I very much enjoyed the scene between Dean and Hendriksen when he complains about his boring job and they discover that they really are pretty much alike and in the same boat. You could see the respect for each other growing between them during that talk.

The episode is intense. From Bela’s betrayal to the arrest to Dean being shot to being under siege in the police station to the revelation of Ruby that Sam knew about Lilith to Sam’s apparent acceptance of sacrificing an innocent life. The pace is fast and the mood ominous and claustrophobic.

I thought it’s really low of Bela to alert the FBI!! Even for her. They are all existing and acting outside the law, she should pay them a little “professional” respect and keep it between them.

I do love that Dean keeps his humor even in these dire circumstances. His little quips and his funny astonishment about Nancy being a virgin are very much Dean.

The special effects of the demon cloud swooping in and “breaking” against the walls of the building is cool.

Ruby is great in this episode as well. I love her matter of factness about her “solution” to the problem by killing a virgin. HA. I remember that I was wondering at the time why she would come to help them in the first place. Even if they had the colt, that would have been ONE gun against a large group of demons and most likely not enough. And then suggesting that she would be willing to kill herself to save them? What’s the motivation?

Most disturbing in the episode to me is the way Sam seemed to be willing to go with Ruby’s plan. The argument between him and Dean about it really threw me off. I guess we are still supposed to wonder if Sam is really Sam? It struck me as very un-Sam-like that he so quickly considered killing one person in order to save the group outside especially as they weren’t even sure if the meatsuits of the group would be ok to live after the demons would get blown out of them. There was no guaranteed win here. It seemed off to me.

Longest exorcism ever….but excellent idea!

I wish Sam or Dean would have spoken up against Ruby at the very end though! Dean’s plan WAS the better one and saved way more people than it killed. Yes, Lilith killed everyone in the station, but it was “only” three people not half a dozen as the rest had been dead before the fight even started. Just taking a verbal beating from Ruby at the end was a little off character for me.

Aside from that though it was a good episode.

PNP

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by PigNaPokePigNaPoke.
          • This reply was modified 2 years ago by PigNaPokePigNaPoke.
          Reply | Quote
        • journalbookbinder
            March 11, 2022 at 10:25 am #12810

This one was very good. I like the “make it up on the fly” plan they had to quickly assemble. Those who made this one were VERY successful in getting across the dangerous, “Doomsday” feel of it. It was fight or die and I felt the urgency – they all made me feel it with their great acting!

Dean’s humor in the face of death is THE BEST. He can’t help himself. Or it’s his way of dealing with stress and others just look at him like he’s insane. My wife watching for the first time laughed every time Dean attempted humor and it fell flat. Jensen is just AMAZING.

I also loved the startled revelation when Ruby reveals that Sam knew about Lilith and didn’t tell Dean. Dean is justifiably incensed. Great shocked expression and following up “Gee, anything ELSE you want to tell me, Sam?!”. It felt very real. Here they are in dire circumstances and NOW Dean finds out Sam’s keeping secrets.

I wonder if Sam’s willingness to go with Ruby’s plan was meant to be the clear sign that he’s embracing this darker demon blood side of him; even if he SAID he was just running the numbers and figuring that one person dying was better than fifteen or more.

I do love that in Supernatural, the heroes are not always able to be heroes. Here, it’s extra-cruel because they THINK they saved people, only to find out later they were killed almost immediately after they left. The feeling at the end in that motel room after Ruby leaves is so heavy. You do start to wonder how two humans can endure the lives Sam and Dean lead!

I did like Hendrikson’s extreme cockiness and his “doesn’t this figure” attitude when things start to go wrong. He was a strong character and I always loved how he freaked Dean out because he had researched him to the hilt and knew so much about him. Or what he THOUGHT he knew.

I kind of jumped when Sam grabbed the secretary’s arm when she gave him the towel. I forgot he was going for her rosary (smart) and couldn’t remember WHY he grabbed her like that when he’d been so kind. Sam can be so manipulative (usually for good) and he sure knows how to use those puppy dog eyes. In that way, Sam was a good choice for the one to “go dark” – he’s intrinsically trustworthy-looking so therefore evne more dangerous.

I feel they took the verbal beating from Ruby, PigNaPoke, because they felt so defeated and felt they had failed and deserved it.

Reply | Quote
        Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Jus in Bello (S3 E12)

Your information: