Let’s all talk about Metamorphosis (S3 E4)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Metamorphosis (S3 E4)

• Author
        May 14, 2022 at 6:51 pm #13528

This is the one where people are eating each other, right? I must go watch to remember.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          May 14, 2022 at 6:51 pm #13589

I never liked this episode very much because I feel like the writers heavy-handedly are sewing discord between the brothers here and beat us over the head with the monster-Sam parallels.

I absolutely get that Dean is scared for Sam and very disappointed to find out that Sam has gone back to using his powers when he promised he wouldn’t. And I also get that he’s pissed that Sam’s been lying to him. BUT Dean’s not exactly forthcoming with what it’s been like in hell either, so the lying goes both ways.

And I do wish that Dean would at least ASK first what’s going on and why before beating Sam and jumping to conclusions that all it can be is BAD. I was a little surprised that Dean doesn’t at least see SOME good in the fact that Sam is saving people with this application of his power.

Mostly because I find it odd that Dean so quickly flips his stance regarding the angels. A moment ago Dean didn’t trust Cas’ word and was highly suspicious of his motives but now he suddenly Dean respects the word of Cas when he says what Sam does needs to be stopped. No snarky come back, just “oh shit, gotta stop Sam” and he conveys it like that to Sam too.

The scene is great, though, Sam’s conviction that he’s doing the right thing and his shock and fear when Dean tells him Cas saying he needs to stop means God wants him to stop.
          Dean saying “If I didn’t know you, I would want to hunt you.” is spine chilling.

UGH but all the little untold truths starting to rear their ugly head here. It’s painful to watch how mistrust builds between Sam and Dean when we know that they NEED to be in it together to defeat what’s coming.

The monster story is CREEPY and all the food gorging in this episode and HOW the guy acts when eating is truly repulsive! TERRIFYING to see the guy’s spine move and convulse!!!

But other than that I find the monster story pretty flat because all it seems like is a plot point to play off the “once a monster always a monster” hunter attitude Travis brings against the “I can relate to you and you can fight this” pleading from Sam.

I also don’t like how the attraction of the monster to human flesh is being connected to a sexual attraction. They didn’t state any of that in the lore that Travis gave the Winchesters but Jack has to stalk some random chick and watch her undress that THAT makes him hungry? LAME. And expected. Would have been more interesting if it was a dude he wanted to eat.

The twist with Michelle with being pregnant was unexpected at least and tragic. (Oh and I really like the actress and think she did a great job with the role. Loved her in Warehouse 13 as well.) However, she just runs away and they don’t even mention her at the end? So there’s another Rougarou out there soon and she has no clue and can’t prepare?
          It’s just all a little to simple and full of holes.

I do like the last scene where Dean really steps over his shadow and tries to apologize to Sam and TALK and Sam shuts him down. The “I don’t believe a word” look Dean has at the end more than anything else in the episode shows he knows something is not right with Sam. THAT was so much more effective to me than clocking Sam a few.

Well, they can’t all be great episodes….there were still great scenes between Sam and Dean. The rest….not my cup of tea.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by journalbookbinderjournalbookbinder. Reason: slight word correction
          Reply | Quote
        • journalbookbinder
            May 14, 2022 at 6:51 pm #13693

I do hate it when Dean tells Sam he’d hunt him if he were a stranger. This is a painful one. Also because the “monster” is like-able, trying to do the right thing (like Sam) but inevitably can’t control it (as Dean fears with Sam).

The guy who played the Rugaru did a great job of eating in a disgusting and ravenous way!

I was scared when Dean catches Sam exorcising the demon! I was like, “Oh shit! He knows!”. And of course KNOWING how betrayed Dean would feel by that, no matter how much good Sam was doing.

PigNaPoke; I agree that connecting the eating to sex was kind of lame. It didn’t need it. TOTALLY would have been more interesting if he had tried to pick up a guy…like some big guy with lots of muscles he’d want to eat…and he would try to pick him up just to eat him; not for anything sexual, but that would show how desperate he could get. Using sex (or the promise of sex) with a guy just to get him alone and defenseless so he could eat him; THAT would have been much more effective!

This one with all the brother angst made me unhappy. But it was effective. And yes, now there’s another loose-end-monster running around out there somewhere!

Reply | Quote
          • kate38
              May 14, 2022 at 6:51 pm #13998

I don’t have much to say about this episode, other than I enjoyed watching Sam get punched in the face! After all the lies he’s told already — and we’re only 4 episodes into season 4 — I wanted to punch him in the face, too. Then again, I didn’t start liking Sam until season 10, so I spent a lot of time wanting to punch him in the face 🙂

I thought the monster was interesting; but as PNP pointed out, the parallel between Sam being a reluctant monster and the victim being in the same position was a bit too heavy handed. The show suffers from that sometimes. Since the pregnant wife got away, which puts the brothers in the same position Travis was in, I thought it would’ve been interesting if she (and/or her child) had returned at some future point in the show. That would’ve been fun.

I do love the camera shots when the boys pull over in the car so Sam can vent. The angles and motion there were SO well done! Breathtaking <3

kate

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by kate38kate38.
              Reply | Quote
          Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Metamorphosis (S3 E4)

Your information: