Let’s all talk about Sin City (S3 E4)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Sin City (S3 E4)

• Author
        January 3, 2022 at 8:35 pm #11779

Let’s keep going! I MISS Supernatural every single day. But we can rewatch! After a short break for the holidays, let’s get back to it this week with Sin City. I love the way the demon was given a complex role here as we learn more and more about them along with Sam and Dean. Dean is hit with yet more gray areas where monsters are concerned.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          January 3, 2022 at 8:35 pm #11945

WHOOHOO!! WE ARE BACK, BABY!!!!

Can’t wait to get back to watching and discussing!

Honestly this one always fills me with apprehension when it comes up on my rewatch loop and I don’t know why. I always think “Ugh, I don’t like this one.” But at the end I don’t hate it…..

So, this time around I will try to figure out what it is that fills me with dislike when I think of it.

Here we go….

Reply | Quote
        • kate38
            January 3, 2022 at 8:35 pm #11965

There’s something so warm and reassuring about that first scene at Bobby’s house, when Bobby is working on the Colt and Dean is making bullets. I love the banter, the closeups of Jensen (he looks fabulous with his hair short) and the feel of that entire scene. I miss Bobby’s house and miss them all being together like that. (sigh…)

This episode may have been the first time when I noticed obvious fear in Dean’s eyes at the thought of going to hell. It’s interesting that this glimpse of his vulnerability came at a time when he was talking to a demon, of all things.

Speaking of demons, it’s interesting that Ruby immediately started trying to win over Bobby and Dean, as if she knew she wouldn’t be able to sway Sam without their cooperation (or at least without them both agreeing to not interfere). I don’t think it ever completely worked – Dean never trusted her, and Bobby was simply trying to cooperate long enough to keep Dean alive. But it’s interesting that she knew they were a vital part of the equation. Of course, that TOTALLY changes later, but I’ll discuss that when we get to season 4.

Richie was a fun and silly caricature (being from “Joisey” myself, I’m only a little offended — 🙂 ), but it was nice to get a glimpse of what Dean’s life was like during those missing years when Sam was away.

Question: Dean and Sam learned in season 1 that the holy water splash test doesn’t work on all demons, because Azazel was able to possess John, but was unaffected by holy water. But in this episode, they seem to think the holy water test is adequate. This was AFTER they’d opened the devil’s gate and released some of the most powerful demons there are.
            Also, I get that Dean tracked Richie’s GPS to find Casey’s house, but when did he have a chance to sneak into Casey’s house, plant the devil’s trap, find Richie, and salt and burn his body?

Aren’t demons inside devil’s traps supposed to be powerless? Otherwise, they could just fling you across the room and crush your skull. How was Casey able to summon wind, etc.?

This is the second time it’s been suggested that what got resurrected may not have been 100% normal Sam. I wonder if the writers were initially going in that direction, but changed their minds. Or was it always intended to be a misdirect?

kate

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by kate38kate38.
            Reply | Quote
          • journalbookbinder
              January 3, 2022 at 8:35 pm #12152

I really really like this one. I love that it’s one of the times where Dean is REALLY confronted with the gray areas; that there is more to a demon than just something evil. The bartender/demon in this episode does a great job at being likable and yet scary (when she snaps Ritchie’s neck).

I liked Ritchie a lot! Good comic relief. Nice to get a glimpse into Dean’s “life without Sam” while Sam was at Stanford.

Of course I liked that the other demon was a priest! Nice cover!

Also very much liked Bobby here. Coming to the rescue (or trying to) and dealing with Ruby.

I wonder if the “not 100% Sam” might have referred to Sam even being willing to entertain Ruby? But then, it was to save Dean, so that’s in-character.

Ruby gets on my nerves the way she is so salesman-like. Always dangling the reward without following through.

The longer dialog scenes when Dean was trapped with the demon were stellar. And yes, Kate, it is Jensen’s amazing acting; we can SEE that Dean is finally thinking about how scary hell might really be.

Reply | Quote
            • PigNaPoke
                January 3, 2022 at 8:35 pm #12156

NOPE, sorry to say….still not a favorite.

I figured out (with your help, guys) that I feel uncomfortable and sad with this one because it’s the first time Dean actually shows that he’s way more concerned about hell than he’s let on so far. Jensen is so darn good at showing the subtle signs of terror Dean is experiencing that it gets totally under my skin.

Yes, the scene in the cellar is great and we get a lot of new info out of it, but the rest of the story in this episode just doesn’t interest me, so the cellar scene stands sadly alone.

I do enjoy the bits between Sam and Ruby quite a bit, though. They have a nice tension between them that is refreshingly NOT sexual. Ruby is intriguing as a character and well played by the actress. However, the info Sam finds out about Mary’s friends being systematically killed was a total throw away as nothing ever happens with that info or do I remember that incorrectly?

Anyhow. There were some very good parts and scenes in the episode but as a whole it left me bored.

Sorry.

Reply | Quote
            Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Sin City (S3 E4)

Your information: