Let’s all talk about The Benders (S1 E15)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Benders (S1 E15)

• Author
        March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #5584

I know I am 3 episodes behind in commenting! I will catch up!

I forgot The Benders was this early on in SPN – one of the creepiest ones as I remember and reminiscent of X-File notorious “Home” episode with the inbred family. Fun fact, the car wrangler for SPN also provided that creepy-as-hell car for the X-Files “Home” episode.

Bring it on!

Reply | Quote
      • kate38
          March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #5726

I’ve never thought Supernatural was actually scary. But the Benders is definitely one of those episodes that captures just the right amount of creepiess. The darkness, rain, mud, and general atmosphere are all spot on. And the Benders are utterly disgusting. I really hated them. Humans truly do make the worst monsters, don’t we?

I like Kathleen a lot. I genuinely felt bad that her brother was killed.

Who knew! The puppy dog eyes work for Dean, too 😊. I like the scene when he tells Kathleen that he pulled Sam from a fire when they were kids, and he’s felt responsible for him ever since.

Did you guys recognize Dean’s daughter, Emma, from “Slice Girls”? Love these cameos 😊

Plot armor alert, PNP: Dean being able to pick a lock using a car antennae, and Dean talking himself out of getting arrested are probably both plot armor. Good thing there was no rebar sticking out of a pillar in that barn (Ooops — too soon?)

kate

Reply | Quote
        • PigNaPoke
            March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #6121

HAHAHA, kate38. To me neither are plot armor! Dean effing Winchester SHOULD be able to pick handcuffs with an antenna! And he IS charm personified so, of course, it’s no suprise that he could talk a heterosexual lady cop out of arresting him! HAHAHA. I do think that having something in common with her helped a lot, too.

I would argue to the opposite that if he was protected by plot he wouldn’t have chosen a cop persona at all this time, but maybe shown up as reporter or simply a concerned relative.

But be that as it may….I totally see your point. 🙂

PNP

Reply | Quote
          • PigNaPoke
              March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #6122

THIS ONE WAS TRULY SCARY to me as well because….MAN….those creepy freaks probably DO exist in reality whereas everything else can be seen as make belief.

YES, humans are the most certainly capable of intense cruelty and callousness about the lives of their fellow humans. We see ourselves as so evolved, but then you just have to watch the news to know that’s a load of huey in many cases.

One of the most intense scenes in this one is in the house when they force Dean to make a choice between Kathleen and Sam to be hunted next! Dean choosing Sam must have been SO SO hard, but understandable as he knows what Sam is capable off and that he had an excellent chance to escape or fight back. But when “Pa” pulls the rug out from under him telling his son to simply shoot Sam in the cage, you can FEEL the panic from Dean. GREAT scene.

Everything inside the house really made my skin crawl. Why do people love to keep trophies? YUCK.

GREAT set design, of course, both in the house and the barn.

And – YES, kate38, WAY TOO SOON!!!!

PNP

Reply | Quote
            • PigNaPoke
                March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #6123

Hey kate38,

You are always so good at picking up on the cameos! But then , really, under all that filth it was a little hard to tell. HAHA.

PNP

Reply | Quote
              • PigNaPoke
                  March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #6124

We also had a LOCATION CAMEO as this one was set to play out in HIBBING, MN! 🙂

Reply | Quote
                • journalbookbinder
                    March 5, 2021 at 1:24 pm #6239

So much mud!!!!

Kathleen was a great guest actor. I loved that she had such a major role and compelling story. It’s one of those cases where I end up feeling like she MUST have been in more than one episode as that character because we learned so much about her in only one hour!

I did like that Dean really swayed Kathleen on emotions here; not so much by playing up his sex appeal…he got her with the family connection and Dean is super-smart that way.

The creepy kid was Dean’s daughter Emma????? Or was it someone else.

The house was super-creepy and gross. Couldn’t rehab that one! The kid was slightly OVERLY-creepy to be believed, but she did well.

The father was probably the best of the hillbilly bunch. He was just twisted and cruel. Love that Kathleen just went ahead and shot him.

Sam was so smart in this one. Figuring out that freeing the first prisoner was a trap for him…and what did he end up doing with the bracket? Did he use it as a weapon? I missed that.

Funny that Dean took the time to check out the jar full of teeth while he was looking for the key to let Sam out.

Yes, I felt as indignant as Dean when the father changed the rules of the hunt on him and told the sons to shoot Sam in the cage! Dean’s panic at having just chosen Sam’s death was really palpable. Jensen was so incredibly good right from the start.

Reply | Quote
                Reply To:

Let’s all talk about The Benders (S1 E15)

Your information: