Let’s all talk about The Rapture (S4 E20)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about The Rapture (S4 E20)

• Author
        September 4, 2022 at 6:32 pm #18164

I already watched this one, so will start this thread and comment.

I remember when I first watched this episode, I was so impressed with the job that Misha did on this one. At that moment, I thought, “Wow, Misha could anchor a show; he could be the star.” He did such an incredible job portraying Jimmy who could not have been more different from Cas. He seemed so natural as Cas, it was hard to believe that he could “be” someone else, but of course he could! He’s an actor!

I really felt for Jimmy. Sure the was doing the holy thing. Then wanting nothing to do with it after his year was over. Then realizing it was too late to get out. This episode gave me whiplash with the demons and angels jumping from body to body and you never really knew who was who. It was so complex.

And it reminded me that this is really not at all a happy show. So sad that Jimmy had to leave his family. I thought the woman who played his wife did an exceptional job too. So very believable. Then she had to slap her daughter when she was possessed! That was shocking when she had previously been so sweet (I know; possessed).

This was a rare instance where Jared and Jensen were not in this one very much and yet, it was excellent because Misha blew me away. He had the full range of emotions. The fight scenes were great (when the neighbor turns out to be a demon). Just really good.

And then at the end. Dean acting so calm with Sam. The shock of Sam drinking the demon blood to power up and the look on Dean’s face to see him like that…Sam wanting Dean to punish him for it in some way and Dean refusing; only to lock him up inside Bobby’s panic room. UGH.

REALLY not a happy show.

But really good.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          PigNaPoke
          September 4, 2022 at 6:32 pm #20101

I know we needed a lot of plot points from this episode but I was never a fan of this one.

I DO agree that Misha did AMAZING work in this one! And the actress who played Amelia did as well.

Still, sorry – unpopular opinion – I didn’t need to see the background story of Castiel/Jimmy. It didn’t reveal any great new concepts or information we needed to know. I made the whole angel concept even harder to swallow and just confirmed again that angels ARE dicks! And Cas is no exception.

Was the whole point purely that Jimmy was deeply devout and believing and he got royally screwed? And that Cas didn’t keep his word to take care of Jimmy’s family? Why did we need to know that? Doesn’t make Cas exactly a sympathetic character.

I also don’t want to think about that every angel’s vessel out there potentially has a confused, scared and angry family who was left behind and suffers, never understanding. (I don’t think I would have let the guy back in the door if I were the wife – btw – especially after his lame ass excuse that he was a mental clinic! And no one informed the family?)

There’s was also no point to the reunion when they’re being ripped apart again, and Jimmy ultimately “disappears” again. And then Sam, Dean and Jimmy just LEAVE Claire and Amelia in the parking garage when they know demons were already on their trail? Seems VERY unlikely to me. Then the poor kid gets possessed by Castiel when we just heard it’s like being chained to a comet, just to be spit out again? (I don’t know how anyone doesn’t get why Claire is a tough acting girl with a giant chip on her shoulder….after this experience, it’s easy to understand.) And in the end Cas shows back up IN Jimmy as a complete asshat?

The whole episode seemed like unnecessary cruelty to me.

The most interesting parts in this episode for me were to see Sam starting to really suffer withdrawal symptoms and finally completely sliding down the deep hole of addiction. That was effective and creepy. Especially how he can’t control himself at the end drinking straight from the demon even though Dean is RIGHT THERE. WOW. Dean’s stone-faced attitude in the car on the ride to Bobby’s place is chilling. You can see the hurt underneath but also the strength to do what needs doing….I remember watching it the first time around that I was scared to find out what that was going to be….

Reply | Quote
      Reply To:

Let’s all talk about The Rapture (S4 E20)

Your information: