Let’s all talk about – The Winchesters – The Tears of a Clown (S1 E12)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about – The Winchesters – The Tears of a Clown (S1 E12)

• Author
        February 28, 2023 at 10:18 pm #43654

Creepy clowns. Is Sam’s hatred of them genetic? And Ada’s back. And I hear Rowena might be back. Or…in this show for the first time. I don’t know. Second-to-last shortened S1 episode and I’m not sure how they’ll wrap this up.

Reply | Quote
      • PigNaPoke
          February 28, 2023 at 10:18 pm #43688

WELL….I should’ve guessed….Clowns, creepy or otherwise are not for me….ever.

I didn’t hate the case, though. I thought it had interesting elements and a high creep factor.

Of course, then there were also dumb parts.

Like the local library having a book about the American Lore of the Carnival?! Unlikely. But then they always find exactly what they need….which is still annoying.

Mary running into the tent without John was STUPID. There wasn’t a need for it either. John was just down the next aisle. She just doesn’t behave like an experienced hunter to me.

The gang was out of town, right? They were at a motel after all. So, HOW did Millie find them so easy in the middle of an empty field?

I didn’t mind the tension between John and Mary. I thought some of her arguments about how John uses their new relationship as a happy distraction from his anger and grief issues was valid to me. Even though, the context about how that is like the clown case was very labored.

Drake looks damn good!

I did find Lata’s terror trying to get away from the clowns and her freaking out in the clown car FUNNY!

I also enjoyed that it was Carlos talking the kid into facing reality and breaking the spell! That’s normally Lata’s job…but she was preoccupied…screaming. LOL.

I didn’t like that after the spell is broken the gang all casually checks in with each other, but no one checks immediately on the kid! Sam and Dean would’ve done so!

The Rowena story line was VERY dubious to me. For one, I really enjoyed Ada so far, because she was capable and resourceful but this episode she seems so timid and incapable somehow. I didn’t like that.

Since when can Rowena just appear and vanish at will? Where did she come from? Or WHEN did she come from? She said she needed the demon in the Bonsai to get information about her son. So that means she must have come from the future, because she only found out about Crowlely having anything to do with Hell in SPN season 10, right? When after that did she not know where Crowley was? Or is she looking for Crowley after his death in the AU? She did use purple magic here, which she only got after her Unbinding, correct? Which was Season 13 right after Crowley’s death.

Anyhow, we won’t know, I guess, but that made her popping up unsatisfying to me. Sure it’s nice to see Rowena, but without a proper tie in to the SPN show, it seems like just another “fan service” cameo.

And, of course, she had the convenient answer….sigh.

The witches “club” or whatever that was felt gimmicky and uninteresting to me. For one everyone in there looked like in a 1920’s speakeasy….why? And the makeup was so Cabaret to me, it distracted.

They could have come up with a better way to introduce Rowena. She was obviously looking for Ada (and the demon)…..no need for the elaborate plot line of a witches poker game. And IF you go that way, than make it MORE over the top….like them playing for something bizzarro, like kittens or whatever.

Also, do the MoL warded doors keep out witches? I guess so?

OK, now they have a weapon against the Akrida Queen that costs Ada a piece of her soul? SIGH…..kinda boring to me….because “been there, done that”! Didn’t turn out so good for Jack.

Still overall I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would from the previews.

PNP

Reply | Quote
        • journalbookbinder
            February 28, 2023 at 10:18 pm #44125

This was kind of a non episode for me. I mean, it wasn’t the worst episode. They did a great job on the visuals; the circus at night, the tent, the glowing light, the clown makeup…I thought it must be hard to shoot in a hall of mirrors and not get the camera in photo if that was a real illusion and not CGI hall of mirrors.

But…I have problems.

First of all, John and Mary are on the run from this murder charge and I couldn’t believe it when Lata and Carlos walked into their motel room in the middle of their fight over John’s anger issues! So Carlos and Lata went on the run WITH THEM?! I didn’t get that and thought it was a huge wasted opportunity for them to be ALONE and have romantic moments or fight moments or something where there was some chemistry and there still is none for me! One episode with them solo would have been interesting and could have dived deeper into their relationship, but here come Carlos and Lata and a case!

This one of course got me thinking about the clown SPN episode. I realized that one was so good because the monster in that one was kind of disguised as a clown; he was an actual monster from lore. The clown was a way he could get an “in” with kids and that’s creepy! Also, we got to learn about the carnival folks from Sam and Dean then.

Here, it was a real clown who made a deal with an “occultist” (????) to be able to steal people and keep them in kind of a happy suspended animation. No one was getting killed. Sure, people disappeared and didn’t age, but it seemed they were kind of unaware of it; kind of like being under the influence.

One thing I wanted to know more about were John’s tears when he saw the clown makeup on his face. What was that about? Was he relieved he could let go of anger? Was he happy to join Mary in being eternally happy? Or was he sad that this was happening against his will? What was up with the tear? The only other tear we saw was when Carlos got through to the kidnapped child when he was talking to him about his brother; so it was kind of like reality was breaking through. With John it was at the moment that reality was slipping away and I didn’t get it.

Of course all the clowns were creepy, but not scary to me.

Millie barging in at the end with the DUMBEST reasoning didn’t help my attitude about this one. They found a witness that saw the dead guy from the garage enter after making the 911 call or something like that? I don’t even remember but at the time I thought that was ridiculous and not enough to clear John. AND it would have been much more suspenseful to have him be on the run for awhile! But they have run out of episodes for that.

I didn’t love it. I didn’t hate it as much as some. It was middle of the road for me.

Reply | Quote
          • journalbookbinder
              February 28, 2023 at 10:18 pm #44128

I did like the idea of the creepy magic ticket that they would find like a windfall but nothing good came from it.

OMG, I totally COMPLETELY FORGOT about Rowena until I just read PigNaPoke’s comments! The weird witch poker game. What was up with that makeup??? It didn’t look 70’s…did all witches then have to look like they were in some kind of burlesque show??? So strange.

I like Ada, I do. But this was boring. Rowena didn’t even seem like “our” Rowena. I couldn’t really see her as the one we know without Sam and Dean to play off of.

Carlos talking to the kid felt like a relatively real moment. I liked that okay.

PigNaPoke; you remember far more about Rowena and her timeline in SPN than I do! But good questions.

Reply | Quote
          Reply To:

Let’s all talk about – The Winchesters – The Tears of a Clown (S1 E12)

Your information: