Let’s all talk about Time Is On My Side (S3 E15)

Home / Forums / Supernatural Fan Wiki Community / Let’s all talk about Time Is On My Side (S3 E15)

• Author
        April 5, 2022 at 1:57 pm #12807

This one ranks high for me. I have not re-watched yet, but remember how terrifying the Frankenstein-like monster was – the idea of replacing body parts on yourself to keep going…and the image of him about to extract one of Sam’s eyeballs is one I’ve never forgotten. I’m really looking forward to re-watching this one.

Reply | Quote
      • journalbookbinder
          April 5, 2022 at 1:57 pm #12838

This one was soooo good! It’s always been one of my favorites. There is SO MUCH GOING ON in this episode! Monster of the week, the running story of Dean’s deal and Sam trying to solve it one way and Dean another. There’s much more info on Bela and we meed RUFUS who is perfection here – no hint at how he gets slightly more comedic roles later.

This was not my idea, but I wholeheartedly agree when I read on Twitter that THE prequel idea should have been young Rufus and Bobby. That would have been WONDERFUL and could have address racial inequality and so many other issues; with humor (not humor over racial inequality; humor over other issues between them), etc. Hard to find two younger actors who could rival Jim Beaver and Steven Williams’ skill, but it would have been a great idea. Much more interesting to me than John & Mary and it STILL would have had a touch of that since Bobby was really their fill-in dad.

Anyway…this is a great one. I LOVE old-school monster makeup. NOT CG. This was great. Doc Benton was a great character; his ultra-calm demeanor made him even more terrifying; talking sweetly to you as he’s about to scoop out your eyeball with a serrated melon baller! The Frankenstein-esque makeup is amazing. So good. Love how grungy and gross the entire “lab” is. Old blood everywhere. Ick! Effective! And love that our smart Sam figures out that it’s “just science” that this guy really did learn the secret to immortality, but it’s not as pretty or pleasant as you’d wish and I love that Dean just says “no” to the idea.

Dean goes after Bela and he is NOT playing around. He’s a killer in this one. And it’s so clear that any cute banter from earlier episodes it out the damn window. She even loses her cool in the end. She was always so snarky. But she does give up the name of Lilith when she has nothing left to lose. And Sam and Dean aren’t going to help her and she still does it (of course she thinks she’s successfully shot them in their sleep first; so she’s no paragon of virtue either!).

The whole thing with Rufus is masterful – Rufus and Dean. So good. Like a poker game trying to feel out what the other knows and how. Interesting for Dean to see a “seasoned” hunter other than his dad and Rufus doesn’t sugar-coat anything. I think Dean kinda respects that.

Rufus knows things.

As soon as Dean saw the warding herb at Bela’s, he knew she was in for a fate worse than anything he could ever do to her…and he let that happen. Kind of shows how done he was with her.

And when the Colt search is. bust, he finally tells Sam that’s he’s basically terrified of what’s about to happen to him.

I liked the temporary separation. Neither one gave in. Both determined to do it their own way. Yet when they said goodbye to each other, they looked worried that THAT might be their last goodbye.

Just such a good one. So much was covered in it. And even a nice nod to John with the fact that Doc Benton appears in his journal and HE tried to kill him as well.

Cool scene of the Doc standing up after being run over and kind of putting his own head back on!

Great one.

P.S.
          Doc Benton is still out there somewhere, buried and screaming inside a chained-up refrigerator.

Reply | Quote
        • PigNaPoke
            April 5, 2022 at 1:57 pm #12847

I always really loved this one too.

Especially watching it directly after the “Long Distance Call” episode I find it very interesting that the brother’s flip positions regarding how far they are willing to go to save Dean. I know it’s not a straight comparison but Dean believing and acting on intel from dead John was really not smart and quite desperate and now we have Sam willing to use some odd alchemy/science on Dean that will result on having to go for spare parts later??? BOTH pretty far out on a limb I would say but also making is very clear how much they are clinging to SOME hope that there is still a way out until the very end.

But back to THIS episode: It’s great from the start when the plastic surgeon’s guts fall out of his body. We don’t see anything but a vague blurry something hanging but the nurse screaming her head off is all we need to be terrified.

AH, those were the days that holy water REALLY did a number on demons. It lost some of its potency later.

The actor portraying the doctor in the morgue is fantastic!!! Love his “So you’re cops AND morons” “Please go away”

Also, Dean shoulda totally punched the other witness. He was soooo annoying and arrogant.

Really funny how Sam tells Dean all the gross things while Dean is eating. Pure brat brother move, love it.

I agree with all you said about Doc Benton, JBB! SOOO creepy and great make up. Such great detail between the old parts and newer parts of skin, the glazed over eye etc. The actor is also fantastic.
            And I really appreciate that this is an old case of John’s. That’s a fun twist.

Although, I like the FACT that the brothers split up to try and find a way to save Dean, the scene where they split is hard to watch for me. Jensen does fantastic (as always) in making clear how surprised and also a little hurt Dean is when Sam refuses to go with him after Bela! There’s also uncertainty and fear in his expression for a moment that read for me as insecurity if HE (Dean) was making the right decision here. All that in the span of a few seconds. But then he immediately switches back into protective brother mode and doesn’t want to leave Sam alone going after Doc Benton. I guess, it’s good to divide and try to conquer, but I am with Dean on not wanting Sam out there without back up. Neither gives in, but they don’t part in anger, which I find important.

Rufus is such awesome addition to the show. I always wished he was in more episodes. His introduction here is PERFECT but MAAAAAN they are killing that bottle of Scotch….
            What I love in the drinking scene between them is how you see that Rufus is 100% confident that he is right about everything he says and Dean puts on a tough facade but he’s clinging to every word Rufus says and suddenly seems younger and more rookie like against Rufus’ gravitas. SOOOO GOOOD!

I’m really glad we find out some Bela/Abby’s back story here, and it’s an AWFUL one, because it makes all of her previous actions so much more layered and interesting to me. She is a multidimensional character and I feel horrible for her here and until her end. And I respect her immensely for giving up Lilith’s name in the end, effectively paying respect to Dean to give him a chance, and for NOT explaining to Dean why she made her deal and for facing the oncoming hellhounds standing up!

However, I also appreciate that Dean’s sympathy and patience have run out and he’s turning into a single minded killer here. Dean is SCARY like that. There is no more time, there is no more forgiveness, in his mind she’s stolen his way out of his own deal. I really worried that he would shoot Bela but then it’s even more cruel to let her live after he sees the devil’s shoestring over her door and knows that she’s on the same path he is on.
            (Funny side note: OF COURSE the Winchesters would use Sex Dolls as decoys. LOL.)

The show down with Doc Benton is also really good, if short. UUUUGH, the taping the eyes open thing is really really scary and creepy. SO SMART of Dean to come up with the Chlorophorm soaked knife. I always found it interesting that they didn’t BURN the Doc’s book but simply buried it on top of the fridge.

YUP – a REALLY GREAT episode and although there is a LOT happening it never feels fragmented or rushed.

PNP

Reply | Quote
        Reply To:

Let’s all talk about Time Is On My Side (S3 E15)

Your information: