Our Father Who Aren't in Heaven
Season 15 Episode 8
airdate: December 12, 2019
directed by Richard Speight Jr.
written by Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming
Dean figures out that it may be possible to defeat Chuck thanks to remembering that there were conditions mentioned in the demon tablet about what to do with angels and demons if God were not around to keep them in line. They enlist Donatello to help translate. Donatello tells them that the only one who can help is the "favorite son" who was Michael at the time the tablet was recorded. Sam and Dean and Cas travel to hell to find Michael in the cage (since it was AU Michael who was killed by Jack) and find that not only is Rowena, who IS dead, queen of hell, but Michael was released when Chuck released all the souls from hell. Michael, still in the body of third Winchester brother Adam, is roaming the earth; trying to re-adjust to all that has changed. Cas captures Michael and brings him back to the bunker where they appeal for his help. Eventually, after Cas shows Michael all the bad things God has been up to, Michael agrees to help them take down God by giving them a spell. One of the ingredients in the spell is only found in purgatory. Michael opens the portal to purgatory and Dean and Cas consider stepping through. Dean also lets Michael leave after he hands over the God-destroying spell. Meanwhile, Sam and Eileen have left the bunker to help another hunter with a vampire problem but the hunter turns out to be Chuck only disguised as the hunter; only out to lure them out of the bunker and, it appears, get Sam alone.
- Rowena: Yes, there are things I miss about being alive. Flesh-on-flesh sex. Amazon doesn't deliver here... yet.
- Rowena: Hello, boys.
- Dean: Look man, I didn't want to say anything cuz I was kind of in a bad place. And I didn't want to jinx it or whatever. But -- you know I tried the family thing, right?
Sam: Yeah, me too. That's not for us.
Dean: Not really. But I'm just saying if it was to work... Eileen. You know, she gets it. She gets us. She gets the life. She's hot.
Sam: Dean...I mean...
Dean: All I am saying is - you could do worse. Ok? And she could certainly do better! Like so much better. I am happy for you Sammy.
- Castiel: Michael? Thank you. Thank you for coming. Do you remember me?
Michael: You called me ass-butt and set me on fire. And then you helped send me to Hell.
- Dean: Can I talk to him?
Dean: Adam, I want you to know... we are sorry. What happened to you... you're a good man. You didn't deserve that.
Adam: Since when do we get what we deserve? Good luck.
- Adam: Family sucks.
- Adam: Since when do we get what we deserve?
(Rowena, Queen of Hell)
- Why was Adam so okay after all that time in the cage?
- Is there a spell for everything now? Including killing God?
- Does Dean still think Sam would be better off with a girlfriend and normal life?
- Why does it appear that Dean is not familiar with the term "Achilles heel" when he himself has used it before in prior seasons to refer to what he and Sam are to each other.
- Rowena, though dead, is now the queen of hell.
- Adam and Michael came to an agreement while trapped in the cage about rules for inhabiting the same body; Michael lets Adam out to eat, talk, and experience life.
- Michael never lost faith in God until Cas showed him the bad things God's been up to.
- Sam feels protective of Eileen.
- Rowena wants Dean and Cas to work out their problems without Sam in the room.
- Rowena's demon hell guards are all women!
- A spell exists to trap God.
- Napoleon was short because Rowena cursed him to be short.
- Michael is able to open the rift/door to Purgatory with only a snap of his fingers; revealing some of his power.
- The episode title plays on the Catholic prayer "Our father who art in heaven".
- Richard Speight Jr. not only directed this episode, but music from he band Dick Jr. and the Volunteers was used.
- I had to look this one up, but the diner where Adam and Lilith meet is called "Jaci's" after Richard Speight Jr.'s wife Jaci.
- This was the first time that Richard Speight Jr. and Rob Benedict, friends in real life thanks to the convention circuit, have ever worked together on Supernatural.
- Rowena alludes to having had dealings in the past with Napoleon.
- The title refers to the Catholic Lord's Prayer.
- Lilith was incinerated by Michael just as Dean said she would be in Monster at the End of this Book if she was confronted by an archangel.
- The bodies that littered the floor of the casino at the start were vaguely reminiscent of the way people would die around Death in restaurants, etc.
- Rowena references the band the Rolling Stones when she reveals that she regretted breaking up with Mick Jagger.
- Goin' Straight - Dick Jr. & the Volunteers (the band headed by this episode's director Richard Speight Jr.)