Season 15 Episode 9
airdate: January 16, 2020
directed by Robert Singer
written by Robert Berens
|While Dean and Castiel search Purgatory for the leviathan blossom, Chuck tortures Sam with horrible visions of the future, which cause Sam to lose hope and change the brothers' course into the future.|
- Castiel to Dean: “Dean, will you stop? Just stop…being so stupid! If we attack Chuck now, we don’t have anything that can hurt him. If we get that Leviathan Blossom, complete Michael’s spell, build the cage…that’s our chance. That’s the way we’ll save Sam. And that’s the way we’ll save the world.”
- Sam to Chuck: “The Dean I know…the Dean who raised me -- he’d never give up, no matter how bad things got.”
- Chuck to Sam: "Without me, it's a law of nature -- dark forces prevail, monsters rule, and you, your brother, and everyone you love will die. Can you really live with that?"
- Chuck to Dean: "Sam's visions? They weren't drafts - they were memories. My memories. Other Sams and other Deans, in other worlds. But guess what? Just like you they didn't think they'd do it either. But they did. And you will too."
Dean to Chuck: "No. Not this Sam. And not this Dean. So go back to Earth-2 and play with your other toys, because we will never give you the ending you want."
- Why didn't Chuck feel pain when Sam's wound was touched? In the past, whenever one of them touched the wound, the other felt it
- Why did Chuck need to use Eileen to spy on the Winchesters? Couldn’t he “see” through Dean? Castiel?
- Why would Sam’s “hope” stop the Equalizer wounds from healing? Had Sam given up hope when he shot Chuck, so that had something to do with the nature of their shared wound?
- How could Eve set up an angel trap for Castiel if she didn’t already know he was going to return to Purgatory? And if she was angry with Castiel for things he did in season 6, why wouldn’t she take her revenge when Cas was in Purgatory for an entire year? Perhaps she was unable to find him?
- With only minutes to spare, how did Dean just happen to find Castiel sitting next to a tree? Did they both just head to the rift, and find each other there?
- Now that the Winchesters know they can't kill or trap Chuck, what will they do?
- Is Michael gone forever? Where did he go?
- What is Billie cooking up with Jack in the Empty?
- Chuck orchestrated Eileen’s resurrection and reunion with Sam so he could use Eileen to help him spy on the Winchesters because (presumably due to Sam’s wound) he can no longer see inside the bunker and know what the brothers are doing.
- The leviathan blossom is the only flower of any kind that blooms in Purgatory. The flower forms at the site where a leviathan’s body decays.
- If the leviathan was telling the truth, Benny LaFitte was killed a long time ago by other vampires in Purgatory. Apparently, Benny had become famous for getting out of Purgatory and then coming back, so the other vampires didn’t trust him.
- If Chuck was telling the truth, Sam’s hope stopped Chuck from being able to heal their collective wound. When Sam gave up hope, Chuck healed them both.
- Chuck resents Sam and Dean’s defiance and the way they have disrupted his natural order so many times. However, he still considers their behavior heroic.
- In order to trap Chuck by duplicating the spell that locked Amara away, Castiel was willing to take on the Mark of Cain.
- If Dean, Sam, and Castiel had succeeded in locking Chuck away, their collective future would include:
- Learning on April 17, 2020 that Claire Novak got killed while raiding a vampire nest
- Being forced to lock Castiel in a Malak box because the Mark of Cain corrupted him.
- Losing innocent victims during a hunt on January 6, 2021, which caused Dean to give up hope and want to stop hunting by November of 2021. On that date in November, Dean reluctantly accompanied Sam on a hunt and they both got turned into vampires.
- On December 9, 2022, Sam (as a vampire) gets killed by Bobby Singer, and Dean kills Jody Mills. However, the worst consequence of that future is that the monsters win and overrun the world.
- During Dean’s prayer to Castiel, Dean confesses that he has already forgiven Cas and that he can’t control his anger sometimes.
- Eve is angry with Castiel for killing her offspring and swallowing the leviathans. She set up a trap for Castiel if he ever returned to Purgatory.
- Previously in this season, Sam thought he was seeing glimpses of Chuck’s future for the Winchester brothers, which ended with one brother killing the other. In fact, Sam was seeing Chuck’s memories of Winchester brothers in other worlds doing exactly that.
- Chuck was holding Sam and Eileen at the Lucky Elephant Casino in Milford, Nebraska. This is a fictional place, and there are no casinos in Milford. However, Milford is near Lincoln, Nebraska and there are several casinos there.
- It would've taken Dean and Castiel approximately 2 1/2 hours to drive from the bunker in Lebanon, Kansas to Milford, Nebraska -- and this would've been after having spent over 12 hours finding the Leviathan blossom in Purgatory, making it back to the bunker, and completing the spell Michael told them about.